De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes

Laura N

Here is a quick review of De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes, which is called Night Blue. It's a very nice dark blue, fairly wet and with some nice shading. I really like it

I'm not entirely happy with the scan. The inks are all slightly more vibrant and darker than they appear here. I'm not sure how well the comparisons will come out on the scan, but Sherlock Holmes hits the sweet spot right between Diamine Midnight, which is perhaps slightly more blue, but has less shading, and Lamy Blue Black, which is slightly grayer and has more shading.

It is not waterproof in comparison to the iron gall inks Rohrer & Klingner Salix or Lamy Blue Black, but the writing remained legible after being soaked with water and rubbed.

fpn_1332727197__sherlock_holmes_1_copy.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Laura N

• JonSzanto

• USMCMom

• Uncle Red

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do like that color! Thank you for the review ... now, I have yet another ink I think I need! :headsmack: I wonder how it compares to Iroshizuku shin ryoku, which has become one of my most favorites!

Unfortunately Goulet was out of this one by the time I ordered :(

Oh well more will come in...looks like a great color... Thanks for the nice review!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I do like that color! Thank you for the review ... now, I have yet another ink I think I need! :headsmack: I wonder how it compares to Iroshizuku shin ryoku, which has become one of my most favorites!

Here's a quick snap:

fpn_1332778193__dsc_2975-1.jpg

Thank you! They appeared similar earlier, but it's plainly seen that they are in no way similar. I have Shin-ryoku and love it!!!

Thanks for the review. Does this ink look a little teal in real life?

My pleasure. It is does not look even a little teal in real life, to me. Compare to Tsuki-yo, above, which has the touch of green that many blue blacks have. Sherlock Holmes is simpler, a very dark blue. In real life the inks look deeper and darker than the photo shows.

The closest ink that I have, I think, is Diamine Midnight. But Sherlock Holmes seems darker and seems to have more shading for me.

Sheila gave me a bottle for Christmas a year ago. My MB 146 loves it.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Wow! what a nice ink, a nice shade of blue-black! Thanks for the nice review!!! Well done! :thumbup:

Seems that I have to buy that ink as well, esp. because its on the wet side! Too bad its not bulletproof... :bawl:

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

Well, I've gone and done it: my wife is now into FPs! That is but a preamble: I ordered up some samples for her to try with a new pen, and took the opportunity to get a couple samples of De Atramentis. One I got was "Year of the Dragon", and it seems *very* similar to the Sherlock Holmes (based on both this review and comparing swabs at Goulet).

I'm impressed with the behavior (just using an Esterbrook dip pen), and it has nice saturation and a hint of shading (which I'll check out in a stubbier nib). I'm definitely going to check out more of the De At inks!

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Well, I've gone and done it: my wife is now into FPs! That is but a preamble: I ordered up some samples for her to try with a new pen, and took the opportunity to get a couple samples of De Atramentis. One I got was "Year of the Dragon", and it seems *very* similar to the Sherlock Holmes (based on both this review and comparing swabs at Goulet).

I'm impressed with the behavior (just using an Esterbrook dip pen), and it has nice saturation and a hint of shading (which I'll check out in a stubbier nib). I'm definitely going to check out more of the De At inks!

Oooh, that is interesting. The Goulet site seems to be down right now, darn it, but I can well believe they are similar.

Congratulations on converting your wife! Just think, that will double the inks and pens you can try. :)

Oooh, that is interesting. The Goulet site seems to be down right now, darn it, but I can well believe they are similar.

The Goulet's are moving their facility this week, in the physical realm, but the site being down may have something to do with that.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thank you for the great review. This one is on my wish list once the Goulets get in back in stock.

Hi,

Thanks for the Review! :thumbup:

There are so many ink colours in the DeA catalogue, that I choosing the next one is a challenge. Reviews such as yours really help me choose - even if its not Sherlock!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Jon, I did have a look at the Goulet swabs and you are so right: they look very similar, if not identical. I do get moderate but very nice shading with Sherlock, so I have hopes for your Year of the Dragon.

Shaylen, threeamigos and Sandy1, thanks for the kind words and you are all very welcome. I agree that these reviews are often most helpful when they eliminate inks from our to-try list. :)

Sherlock is probably my favorite dark blue ink right now that isn't iron gall. For me, it is a perfect alternative for drier pens, or those that won't get as much maintenance, like my son's.

Jon, I did have a look at the Goulet swabs and you are so right: they look very similar, if not identical. I do get moderate but very nice shading with Sherlock, so I have hopes for your Year of the Dragon.

Super-quick and dirty scan - ignore the blather I wrote, just writing to write something, but here's a sample with description. The paper is Staples sugarcane bagasse:

post-65351-0-26988900-1332954126.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin