Moleskine Postal Notebooks

Bigeddie

Hi all,

I have mixed feelings about Moleskine; I like the hardback notebook format a great deal, but the quality of the paper severely restricts the range of inks I can use. I still use them occasionally with nothing broader than a medium nib and an iron gall ink, but more and more I'm turning to other brands.

I still keep an eye out for new Moleskine products and formats, the following have been on back order since they were anounced last year.

Small size 9x14cm, 19g (£4.00)

Larger size 11.5x17.5cm, 30g (£4.99)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6830888170_a7a7dca8f2_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

These should come under the weight and size limits for most standard postal services. Certainly in the UK you could get three of the larger size or five of the small and still be under the 100g limit. More on this later.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/6977017387_dc3f3acb1f_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks pocket by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The outer cover feels like that of the normal Moleskine Cashiers, the cover (with the address fields on the other side) has an inside flap just the same as the cashiers as well. The dark blue seems a little difficult to address with a die based ink. Other colours are available.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/6830895280_ab663ef839_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks flaps by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/6977019879_fe6b02e25f_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks closed by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The address field cover has three triangular flaps which fold up to encase the pages inside. When folded the pages are completely hidden from view.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7054/6830899594_2d53e28dfe_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks pages by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The pages are a little disappointing, 8 pages (sides), meaning there are essentially 2 sheets of paper stitched down the middle. I don't know how much I would want to send in this format, probably not a lot, but bearing in mind how far below the postage limit this notebook is they could make it 20 pages (10 sheets) without any problems.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6977083877_5f999bb598_z.jpg

Moleskine postal notebook Ink test by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The paper itself feels like the standard Moleskine, this one did not feather. It sucked up all of the MB Sepia, most of the Kiri Same...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6830960990_c56e4fa80f_z.jpg

Moleskine postal notebook showthrough by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

...displaying them plentifully through the other side.

In conclusion; I would not use these every day. They are different, novel, fun. They are not the best way to buy paper, nor the best paper to buy.

I'll send my partner a nice message in them and she'll be thrilled with the novelty, and at £4 it will be worth it.

If you want something different, order a couple. If you want a postal note book... post a notebook!

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigeddie

• GreenVelvet

• bogiesan

• PaperDarts

Thanks for an excellent review of an interesting product.

While I love anything postal themed, this paper quality is a deal-breaker. (What's new? I never even look at moleskines.) But it's fun to see, and the novelty might even sway me for one or two, sometime.

Hm, sounds like the offspring of an aerogramme and a notebook. I'd probably go for the novelty of it once or twice...How does the envelope seal, or is this an encouragement to get out the wax seals?

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

The largest, long edge flap is gummed, there is also a circular sticker enclosed to stick were the flaps almost meet - it's printed on the square sheet on the photo of the grey notebook with the flaps open.

Don't let me discorage the seals though! They would only add to the effect.

I have to say that posting a cashier, moleskine or otherwhise would be a much more effective way to post notes. I'll let you know what I ultimately use it for. It is a bit of a solution looking for a problem.

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

The largest, long edge flap is gummed, there is also a circular sticker enclosed to stick were the flaps almost meet - it's printed on the square sheet on the photo of the grey notebook with the flaps open.

Don't let me discorage the seals though! They would only add to the effect.

I have to say that posting a cashier, moleskine or otherwhise would be a much more effective way to post notes. I'll let you know what I ultimately use it for. It is a bit of a solution looking for a problem.

Thanks. It sounds as though you've hit the nail on the head for this product (solution looking for a problem).

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

It would be fun to make your own with better paper, and not that hard. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks for the review. These things are cool but they are very expensive, not much value. Still, unique products are priced on what the market will support.

I'd like to have a basketful but I doubt I'll see them in Boise ID's bookstores.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Now that I've had a chance to see one of these in person, I agree with Bigeddie's assessment that they are a solution looking for a problem.

However, I am pleasantly surprised by the weight of the small one; it is under one ounce, so those of us in the USA could mail this at the US first-class rate without incurring additional postage for extra weight. I hadn't expected that.

The paper is underwhelming with fountain pen ink, but - I am also utterly charmed by the design! It's easy to open, and the way the little flaps fold over to mimic an envelope is quite clever. The navy blue is a lovely color, too.

I'll inevitably have to pick up a couple just for kicks. Anything with a postal/mail-themed design is right up my alley.

A Moleskine is a Moleskine is a Moleskine. The paper is un-usable.

"We almost never recognize the most significant turning points in our lives at the time they occur."

Nice idea - I really like it. But FP quality is out the door once you realise it is moleskin.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

A Moleskine is a Moleskine is a Moleskine. The paper is un-usable.

Except to those who use iron gall, nano inks or a pencil; I agree.

The MB Midnight Blue was quite acceptable.

Despite the paper quality, I'll get a few for written correspondence. A novelty factor win, for the surprise they'll gift the recipients. Yes, I'm going to use pencils. =)

I would love a Rhodia version! *dreams and adds to the forever growing to-do list*

Thank you for the review, just what I needed. =)

Edited by Elethea

What do people think about using this as a travel notebook? Particularly doing a world travel, you could mail it home instead of packing it in your luggage.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

What do people think about using this as a travel notebook? Particularly doing a world travel, you could mail it home instead of packing it in your luggage.

Only four pages, eight leaves. Not much of a notebook. But a collection of these (expensive doodads) waiting in your mailbox upon your return from someplace interesting would be fun.

I often used disposable prepaid Kodak cameras on vacations. Now, THAT was fun.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

These do look really fun but I agree with others that it seems a little expensive for what it actually is. 8^( I have not seen any of these yet at the stores. I will keep an eye out.

• 2 weeks later...

These do look really fun but I agree with others that it seems a little expensive for what it actually is. 8^( I have not seen any of these yet at the stores. I will keep an eye out.

They can be gotten from bookdepository.co.uk for AUD$4.84 and $6.66 respectively, with extra 10% discount until mid-May. Free worldwide delivery.

No affiliation. Book Depository is one of my shopping weaknesses. =)

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I have mixed feelings about Moleskine; I like the hardback notebook format a great deal, but the quality of the paper severely restricts the range of inks I can use. I still use them occasionally with nothing broader than a medium nib and an iron gall ink, but more and more I'm turning to other brands.

I still keep an eye out for new Moleskine products and formats, the following have been on back order since they were anounced last year.

Small size 9x14cm, 19g (£4.00)

Larger size 11.5x17.5cm, 30g (£4.99)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6830888170_a7a7dca8f2_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

These should come under the weight and size limits for most standard postal services. Certainly in the UK you could get three of the larger size or five of the small and still be under the 100g limit. More on this later.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/6977017387_dc3f3acb1f_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks pocket by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The outer cover feels like that of the normal Moleskine Cashiers, the cover (with the address fields on the other side) has an inside flap just the same as the cashiers as well. The dark blue seems a little difficult to address with a die based ink. Other colours are available.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/6830895280_ab663ef839_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks flaps by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/6977019879_fe6b02e25f_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks closed by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The address field cover has three triangular flaps which fold up to encase the pages inside. When folded the pages are completely hidden from view.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7054/6830899594_2d53e28dfe_z.jpg

moleskine postal notebooks pages by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The pages are a little disappointing, 8 pages (sides), meaning there are essentially 2 sheets of paper stitched down the middle. I don't know how much I would want to send in this format, probably not a lot, but bearing in mind how far below the postage limit this notebook is they could make it 20 pages (10 sheets) without any problems.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6977083877_5f999bb598_z.jpg

Moleskine postal notebook Ink test by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The paper itself feels like the standard Moleskine, this one did not feather. It sucked up all of the MB Sepia, most of the Kiri Same...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6830960990_c56e4fa80f_z.jpg

Moleskine postal notebook showthrough by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

...displaying them plentifully through the other side.

In conclusion; I would not use these every day. They are different, novel, fun. They are not the best way to buy paper, nor the best paper to buy.

I'll send my partner a nice message in them and she'll be thrilled with the novelty, and at £4 it will be worth it.

If you want something different, order a couple. If you want a postal note book... post a notebook!

There is an inside pocket to keep small pieces of paper like in the typical Moleskine notebooks?

Edited by ernestcow

Flex Away :D

post-118150-0-23786200-1420009888.png