Joesph's Coat

79spitfire

Member drgoretex makes pens. It's not a secret. He posted a subject in pen turning and making one day about his 'Fine art' pen. Original thread here I was one of a few members who dared him to post it in classifieds, and the lucky one who purchased it! :thumbup:

I felt a review was in order so here it goes! Go gentle on me, it's my first review..

First impression 10/10

Love at first sight? I think he may have underestimated the popularity of patchwork quilts. Everyone who has seen this pen so far has enjoyed the bright colors and interesting patterns in the acrylic sections used to make this pen!

fpn_1331421337__100_0001.jpg

appearance 10/10

I love the look! The pen is made up of scrap sections of acrylic from other pen projects. My wife described it as a 'patchwork quilt' pen. I think of it in relation to Joseph's coat of many colors. If I'm lucky perhaps it will give me prophetic dreams...

Design weight/size 9/10

Pen is simple 'flat top' type design. Most any other design wouldn't look right with the materials. I like the size, it is similar in size to my TWSBI 530 capped, and much shorter posted. I like to post my pens and I am glad this one posts so well. It posts very deeply, covering aprox 2/3 of the barrel when posted, making for a secure posting with very little effort. Pen is typically light due to materials used. Smooth (tuned by the maker!) JoWo nib is used in stainless is used. The color is perfect for the pen, I feel gold was a bit too much (see original thread). Nib is typical stiff non flex medium, perfect for every day use, no complaints there! Inked up with R&K Cassia (what else?) the pen writes smoothly and effortlessly. I'd give it a 6-7 out of 10 on the wetness scale. The clip is a simple smooth stainless clip, again anything else would be too much. An art deco type clip would detract from the plastics used. This clip was a perfect clip. Why then not another 10/10, well, I don't mind screw on caps, and knew this was one when I bought it, but for me it takes more turns than I find comfortable to unscrew the cap. The pen is so great in all other respects I just smile and use it anyway :P Tripple start threads may have been a good choice for this one, keeping the cap secure and unscrewing quickly. I use the pen at home most often, and do not take it to work where the cap unscrewing would become tiresome. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy this pen!!

fpn_1331421385__100_0006.jpg

Filling system 10/10

This works as it should. It's a C/C pen (as most kitless pens are) making it convenient for travel use if you would like to do so. I use it with the converter exclusively. I would NOT use this pen as an eyedropper due to the many joints where sneaky ink could seep out. I have had very poor luck with eyedropper pens and find them as a whole a bit too simple, and messy.

Cost/Value 10/10

At $75 US for a one of a kind hand turned, hand tuned pen it was a steal! drgoretex shipped the pen quickly and it made it to western Nevada in less than 10 days from Canada. I would recommend this maker for anyone who is looking for a custom pen, I'm sure at some point in the future people will be trading these pens at shows with a sese of awe, as they do the offerings from Edison or Bexley.

Conclusion 9.8/10 A Winner in any book!

The only drawback I could find was the number of turns to get the cap off. Someone else may find this to be an advantage. If you were custom ordering a pen from drgoretex you could specify one that takes fewer turns to un-cap, so it's really a non issue, and specific to this pen only.

Overall this is an awesome pen. I am glad I jumped when it became available. If I get the itch for another 'custom' I will be looking up drgoretex to see what his latest offerings are

fpn_1331425475__joesphs_pen.jpg

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 79spitfire

• lovemy51

• pen2paper

• USMCMom

Top Posters In This Topic

its own spiral clip would make this horse of another color its own event

A spiral clip ... now, that I might be interested in.

:sick: ...................... sorry! he does nice work, tho'. :blush:

Well, not everyone likes the same thing! :roflmho:

So it was you! Darn you I wanted that pen!

I'll bet if you ask REALLLLLLLY nicely, he'll make another...

I got up early and think I found the classified post about 10 seconds after he put it up!

It was worth it...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif

... Go gentile on me, it's my first review..

Sorry, I must refuse. I'm Jewish.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Nice catch!

I suppose I should just ask you to be gentle.

But if you feel the need blast away!

:roflmho:

:sick: ...................... sorry! he does nice work, tho'. :blush:

I find it a most interesting pen.

It's a good example of that "sum of it's parts" concept. To me, none of it's individual patterns are what I myself would order a pen in, but together they become much nicer than when apart.

Maybe I unconsciously am reading the Joseph coat of many colors story into it or perhaps my own already mentioned afghan of many colors story in this pens first thread in the pen turning forum.

I'd really like to see him do another with the different slices being maybe 1/2" wide max.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I was impressed with this pen when I first saw it in the classifieds, and still think it's quite interesting looking. I'm not sure if I'd want one myself, but I'd definitely consider it (I dithered long enough over the original ad to have made it a moot point :P )

I definitely think the maker should continue doing this; there seems to be a demand.

This pen just makes me smile. It's so cheerful! Would be scared to have something like it in my household due to a small child attracted to bright colors, but it is really lovely.

:ltcapd:

And am I the only one who experiences the urge to eat Jelly Bellies when seeing that pen?

And am I the only one who experiences the urge to eat Jelly Bellies when seeing that pen?

Yes, Jelly Bellies! And a roll of Lifesavers.

I like the pen. Now I'm hungry . . .

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

Yes, Jelly Bellies! And a roll of Lifesavers.

I like the pen. Now I'm hungry . . .

and a multi-flavor popsicle