Pelikan's Edelstein Turmaline

lapis

STARTERS

■ This is not only a fast mini review but also a somewhat hesitant one. I have not yet read any great comments on this ink but rather disappointments instead (see * below).

■ Also, this ink colour is not really my cup of tea. But I'm reviewing it anyways because it seems that some others here at least had some interest in seeing what a new gem might look like on paper (see ** below). Mabe you won't like this ink because you won't like my handwriting. Hope you can at least read a word or two. Whew! 1_ani.gif

Turmaline_1b.jpg

BTW, the name and/or word "Turmaline" (also written in German as "Turmalin") is usually written in English as "Tourmaline". You might want to Google that. There are in fact very many different colour possibilities involved with that gemstone. In any case, the name for this ink isn't all that bad after all. Maybe they should have just refrained from the adjective "plum". Lips Sealed.png

Turmaline_2b.jpg

CONCLUSIONS·

This ink colour isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

■ The posts mentioned above are as follows:

* = https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/216535-new-edelstein-colors-tanzanite-turmaline/ and 

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/216548-your-favorite-edelstein-ink/

** = https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/216670-pelikan-edelstein-tanzanite/

■ A word on the packaging again: as with all of the 9 Pelikan Edelstein inks, I do find the bottles "nice". Maybe not as nice as Iroshis', Viscontis' etc. and not as practical as MBs', Levengers' or Lamys' etc. The trouble is -- as I see it -- that the whole packaging is a pain in the ahh, y'know. I find that to open the box and get the bottle out, it's even harder than Noodlers'. Yawn.png

■ A word or two as to what I see on my monitor: this is definitely bluer than the real MCoy, but not more intense (to my eyes): I guess I'll have to monitor my monitor again. Do we have to that for each and every ink? Hmm?? hidden-17[1].gif

■ Sure, it has been claimed to be too expensive. It really depends on what you like and need. It's as expensive as all 9 Edels. Twice as expensive as the 4001s, but still only 60% as expensive as CdAs or Iroshis.

■ My "advice": If you like this type of colour, then get it. It's not really a pink IMO but still not quite a plum. Maybe there are a lot of different plums out there. Its properties, especially shading, are really worth it. Same colour on Avery, Moleskine, CF, Rhodia and HP papers. But very different depending on your pen/nib.

■ This ink has been donned by Pelikan as "INK OF THE YEAR 2012 – Ltd. Edition". That means that it'll no longer be issued next year. How about this: "Maybe in 2013 there will issued an Edelstein ink called "Diamond" ?

Har, har   :lticaptd:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• mge01park

• amberleadavis

• phoenixfeder

Ah, Mike, you are certainly "the Man" as we say on this side of the Atlantic. Thanks for coming through again. I wish the ink were more purple; the color here doesn't do it for me. Strange that Pelikan doesn't have a solid purple in the Edelstein lineup. Their 4001 version is spectacular.

Thank you for this and the Tanzanite review!

I'm amazed how different the ink looks in different pens - as you said they were cleared out and everything, so it shouldn't come from residual ink.

Does anyone have an explanation for this phenomenon? Is is just the different ink flow? Sorry, if this is a silly question... :embarrassed_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for the Review! :thumbup:

And for supporting cost-avoidance. ;)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Great review, thanks. Interesting new higher prices also..............the new Tanzanite appears to have a new higher list price of $25.00 and the Turmaline $26.00 vs. the existing $22.00 of all of the others which I believe had initially started out at $18.00 or $20.00.

..............the new Tanzanite appears to have a new higher list price of $25.00 and the Turmaline $26.00 vs. the existing $22.00 of all of the others which I believe had initially started out at $18.00 or $20.00.

FWIW The US Pelikan site says 20.00 USD for each ink; the German site says 13.90 Euros = 18.18 USD (today). Unusual to have different prices for different inks in the same "Edition". Considering Herbin, Diamine, Iroshi, R&K, PR, MB... okay, I'll cut it out.

(The UK site doesn't cough out any prices. Maybe these inks are free of charge there.)

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/jubelfreu1.gif

Thanks for those list prices. I've checked several US sellers and I guess selling over list price is appropo for this ink or in the US?

..............the new Tanzanite appears to have a new higher list price of $25.00 and the Turmaline $26.00 vs. the existing $22.00 of all of the others which I believe had initially started out at $18.00 or $20.00.

FWIW The US Pelikan site says 20.00 USD for each ink; the German site says 13.90 Euros = 18.18 USD (today). Unusual to have different prices for different inks in the same "Edition". Considering Herbin, Diamine, Iroshi, R&K, PR, MB... okay, I'll cut it out.

(The UK site doesn't cough out any prices. Maybe these inks are free of charge there.)

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/jubelfreu1.gif

Thanks for the review. Interesting how much the color changes in different pens, but still not my cup of tea. My wallet is safe for another day.

Shows you how experience shapes expectations. I figured Turmaline would be black, because in New Mexico growing up we used to find black tourmaline in mica schist. Purple never crossed my mind!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He who hears the rippling of rivers in these degenerate days will not utterly despair." H.D. Thoreau

• 1 year later...

Hello. Nice review and thanks...But, I'm just trying to decipher which colors your using or are they the same in different pens? Could you elaborate on color names in the order written...Thanks, Leroy P.S. I'm on the hunt for a shade such as these: Noodler's Ottoman Rose or Edelstein Turmaline. Still avail. at some markets; Amazon as well... Regards

Yup, all written lines use the same ink, same batch. Swabs plus 3 different pens. I didn't go to the trouble of making any comparisons with other inks because I don't like this colour...

Same ink - Tourmaline - different pen.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/slides/00-2012-12-30.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks, Amber, you seem to sort of represent my above-said comment...

Mike

That was the goal. It does however, have great shading.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY