Usage Advice: Iron-Gall Inks

arthury

I am in the process of exploring our old friends (RK Salix, Scabiosa and Lamy Blue-Black).

What kind of precautions should I take in handling these inks with respect to the health of my pens.

Are some pens more vulnerable to these acidic mixtures than others?

Love to hear from you!

____

Art Y.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arthury

• lapis

• JefferyS

• Uncle Red

I don't believe what has been published regarding ink pH. I would like to see something accurate published. But an ink with a pH of 1.7? One might want to store it under a chemical hood.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Whow: pH of 1.7, that must be very corrosive. Even my home-brewed iron gall ink containing "corrosive" hydrochloric acid is between pH 2 and 3, which equals the acidity of lemon juice.

I am in the process of exploring our old friends (RK Salix, Scabiosa and Lamy Blue-Black).

What kind of precautions should I take in handling these inks with respect to the health of my pens.

Are some pens more vulnerable to these acidic mixtures than others?

Love to hear from you!

I've used all of them and also ESSRI. They all seem a bit different in the colour they end up and all I do is clean out the pen thoroughly after each fill even if using the same again (which I rarely do) but especially if using a non-IG ink next. Also, I give the inside of the cap a wipe out - I read that somewhere!

So far I've used them only in modern Pelikans and had no trouble.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I use Lamy Blue-Black as my daily ink with an XF nib, and it's a beautiful writer, albeit a little dry. I always rinse my pen and converter fully between fills regardless of what inks were in them. As a result, I've never had any problems with clogging, or any kind of corrosion due to the ink. Honestly, modern inks are far safer than then they ever have been, given that older ink often contained huge varieties of potentially dangerous materials, not to mention particulate matter from things like soot and ash.

I use Lamy Blue-Black fairly frequently. I make sure I use the pen even a little bit daily, and just rinse regularly between every fill.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

I use Scabiosa, Salix and Diamine Registrar's ink and I haven't even seen the need to flush between refills unless I'm changing inks. I do store all pens loaded with these inks horizontally or nib down for the desk pen. No troubles.

Thanks for the suggestions and precautions.

I'll keep those in mind.

____

Art Y.

I use all 7 currently available iron-galls regularly and only wash the pens (at most 50 years old) out thoughly at least every 3 months. I chose this time-period since that is what MB suggests/recommends/demands in their own paper leaflet. Never had any trouble yet.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I don't believe what has been published regarding ink pH. I would like to see something accurate published. But an ink with a pH of 1.7? One might want to store it under a chemical hood.

I happened to see this link from IAMPETH website that might be eye-poppingly surprising (at least to me) ...

http://www.iampeth.com/text_docs/Acidity%20of%20inks.pdf

____

Art Y.

I happened to see this link from IAMPETH website that might be eye-poppingly surprising (at least to me) ...

http://www.iampeth.c...20of%20inks.pdf

Inasmuch as each pH unit (integer) is a 10-fold increase in H+, a pH of 1.7 would have over 100X more H+ ions than cider vinegar.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Seeing as how lime juiice (and some lemon juices) go down to a pH of 2.0, and we can tolerate that in our mouth (at least mine) I'd say that the synthetic holders or plastics in today's modern pens -- as well as my 51 from the 60s -- would actually withhold that acidity. Some of the oldest, metal nibs (without iridium, ruthenium, osmium... maybe not).

Mike

Update:

Owing to your helpfulness, I have now savored the acidic experience of an iron-gall ink (namely, Lamy Blue/Black) and will soon receive the R&K concoctions.

Cleaning

To me, iron-gall inks is a lot easier to clean out from a pen than the more alkaline ones. A few flushes and they are all out. There's no stickiness, so to speak, to slime the inside of the pen and the nib innards.

Writing experience

Since it's acidic, there's really no lubrication to be found in the ink. So, you will feel the metal meeting the paper. There's a lot more pushing and pulling involved if you want to see more variations in the shading. No-pressure writing style is still possible but you will not get a lot of shading. Personally, this is a downside of using iron-gall ink. I enjoy more lubricated inks but that's the way it is with iron-gall inks.

Shading:

Shading comes with much abundance. It's quite enjoyable to see them.

Magic post-drying:

And, of course, there's the magical changing of colors after the ink dries up. Blue receded and more black is apparent.

Conclusions:

Overall, a new experience for me (worth trying if you have never used it). It's a unique experience.

Hope this is helpful for others who may be treading this path in the future.

Edited by arthury

____

Art Y.

Or make a FAQ out of it.

Edited by lapis

What nibs are you using, I get shading from my inks out of a medium unflexed nib. I'm not using Lamy though.

What nibs are you using, I get shading from my inks out of a medium unflexed nib. I'm not using Lamy though.

I was using my Pelikan 200 italic medium nib and the Lamy AL-star EF nib. Shading in the EF nib is more subtle unless I was passionate about my pressure strokes.

____

Art Y.

I've added this topic to the "Noteworthy Ink Topics" (maybe this needs a new title that will attract more attention?).

If someone would like to suggest other I-G links for that thread, please let me know via PM and I'll check them out. This topic has come up a lot lately and I think it is of considerable interest.

If you have a suggestion for a better subject line for that thread, please feel free to suggest that as well. If I were reading this forum and saw "Noteworthy Ink Topics" I'd give a big yawn and move on.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Update:

Owing to your helpfulness, I have now savored the acidic experience of an iron-gall ink (namely, Lamy Blue/Black) and will soon receive the R&K concoctions.

Cleaning

To me, iron-gall inks is a lot easier to clean out from a pen than the more alkaline ones. A few flushes and they are all out. There's no stickiness, so to speak, to slime the inside of the pen and the nib innards.

Writing experience

Since it's acidic, there's really no lubrication to be found in the ink. So, you will feel the metal meeting the paper. There's a lot more pushing and pulling involved if you want to see more variations in the shading. No-pressure writing style is still possible but you will not get a lot of shading. Personally, this is a downside of using iron-gall ink. I enjoy more lubricated inks but that's the way it is with iron-gall inks.

Shading:

Shading comes with much abundance. It's quite enjoyable to see them.

Magic post-drying:

And, of course, there's the magical changing of colors after the ink dries up. Blue receded and more black is apparent.

Conclusions:

Overall, a new experience for me (worth trying if you have never used it). It's a unique experience.

Hope this is helpful for others who may be treading this path in the future.

More Updates

It appears that both the R&K iron-gall inks (Salix and Scabiosa) do not really change their color much after they dry, unlike Lamy's Blue/Black. Their colors, however, are still pleasing to the eyes for those who prefer a more calm and subdued color.

____

Art Y.