Your Favorite Edelstein Ink

arthury

What is your favorite Pelikan Edelstein ink?

Please tell us why.

I'm exploring which ones are worth trying.

____

Art Y.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• arthury

• SamCapote

• Laura N

I just picked up a bottle of Ruby localy and I'm still testing it. A touch on the pink side so I may end up passing on it after I try the Visconti red (I have not picked it up yet...)

I was underwhelmed by the Sapphire and Onyx. They may have been too heavily hyped. There are far less expensive alternatives in less fancy bottles. The Sapphire was too orchid for me.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I know this series is not focused on eye-popping strong colors but is there any subtle gem-stone glow under a decent light after it dries up?

____

Art Y.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "subtle gem-stone glow," honestly. The inks aren't luminescent or reflective, if that's what you mean. They are softer colors with great shading. They aren't generally wild in color or heavily saturated. For me they are on the dry side, so they work wonderfully in my wet Pelikans.

Topaz is a nice bright blue, very cheerful, probably the one most people would like best. The Ruby is a pinkish red that I really like, but I consider it almost a pink. Mandarin is a beautiful soft orange that I use in broad nibs. Jade is an interesting medium green with a blue tinge. Sapphire is a very purple blue. I haven't used the others.

Pelikan 4001 inks also are on the dry side for a lot less money. Turquoise is close to Topaz, though I prefer the Topaz. Royal Blue is close to Sapphire, and I probably prefer Royal Blue. But you should get samples of the colors you like and try them in your pens.

Topaz is the only one of the Edelstein line I have, and I am using it now in a Sailor Sapporo with a perfect H-MF nib. I'm quite taken with the Topaz. If there's any fault in it, I haven't found it.

The Aventurine makes for a beautiful spring ink.

Thanks, folks, for sharing your experiences. I enjoyed reading them.

When I say subtle glow, I do not mean actual glowing by itself (like in glow sticks) but more like the yellow highlighter see-through translucent glow.

Hope that's a little clearer in capturing the gist of what I was saying.

____

Art Y.

Aventurine, Jade and Topaz.

Soft inks....inks that shade.

Beautiful bottle, perhaps not as good to the last drop as it could be.

Worth having, yes, best buy probably not.

A word about the hype, many expected Noodlers vibrancy.

The name...Edelstein...noble rock...jewels...

Expecting deep blue sapphire and not the lighter spectrum of that jewel and colors. I can understand folks being upset.

It was a blue that didn't try to be Parker Sapphire as many hoped for.

The shame is Pelikan should bring back the old inks it had, two wonderful grays, a real nice orange. Lilac, rose, and a few other colors.

I lucked into some 90's cartridges in a number of colors they no longer make.

Hard to imagine, but once as far as I can tell Pelikan had the most ink colors out here. 12-15 inks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have the Ruby, Sapphire and Adventurine inks from the Edelstein line and while they are very well behaved I believe that they're a bit over priced for what you get. Granted the bottles look awesome on my desk, but the inks, while good, aren't the spectacular that I thought they should be for the money.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The Tanzanite one looks good and like the blue-black I love.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I recently ordered the 4 I don't already have and they should drop in next week. Looking forward most to the Tanzanite (blue-black), as blue-black in general is absolutely my very most favourite ink colour (I think).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

"Favorite" and "Edelstein" aren't words I can remember seeing together here on FPN. I think price/performance is part of the issue (maybe they're cheaper in Europe?), but only part.

"Favorite" and "Edelstein" aren't words I can remember seeing together here on FPN. I think price/performance is part of the issue (maybe they're cheaper in Europe?), but only part.

My Edels come in at 13.90 Euro listed price but 20% off in my store (where I don't work).

US listed price is 20 USD = roughly 15.23 Euros today.

The UK site doen't cough a price out.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Topaz and Aventurine are the two I like best. The Jade isn'tbad either. The Ruby, Mandarin, and Sapphire are not too interesting and quite dry-writing, imho.

finally a blue-black ink but I'm not sure if tanzanite is is a right name, more like blue+purple

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Yeah, I've noticed that. People love to bash this brand. And as someone who has used many of the inks, I don't think it's fair.

I personally like them. Because my vintage Pelikans are very wet pens and need a dry ink. There are many dry blue-black inks, but I like to use more than blue-black. Edelstein colors are softer, sure, but that's something I actually prefer. Finally, I love an ink that shades, and all the Edelstein inks I've used have wonderful shading.

I do hate the high price. But truth be told, I use a lot of different inks, so any bottle lasts forever for me.

It's not an ink for everyone, but it's also not an ink that deserves to be blasted each time it is mentioned. There are a lot of fountain-pen users, and some want different things. It's nice to have a market that provides a wide variety of choices.

Yeah, I've noticed that. People love to bash this brand. And as someone who has used many of the inks, I don't think it's fair.

I personally like them. Because my vintage Pelikans are very wet pens and need a dry ink. There are many dry blue-black inks, but I like to use more than blue-black. Edelstein colors are softer, sure, but that's something I actually prefer. Finally, I love an ink that shades, and all the Edelstein inks I've used have wonderful shading.

I do hate the high price. But truth be told, I use a lot of different inks, so any bottle lasts forever for me.

It's not an ink for everyone, but it's also not an ink that deserves to be blasted each time it is mentioned. There are a lot of fountain-pen users, and some want different things. It's nice to have a market that provides a wide variety of choices.

I am with you, Laura. There're not many drier inks out there for my Pelikans and TWSBIs. I have enjoyed the 4001 inks very much and now, it's time to explore some Edlesteins.

Edited by arthury

____

Art Y.