54 replies to this topic

#1 threeamigos

threeamigos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 18:41

I know that the contest only closed a week ago, but was wondering if anybody heard if a winner was announced. Some pretty nice art work was submitted.

#2 oldcards

oldcards

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2012 - 17:30

I am waiting to hear as well. Hopefully Nathan will at least post an announcement date.
Would be great if he releases a video that announces the winner. I got a dog in the hunt so I am excited to find out!

Andy

#3 GOB Bluth

GOB Bluth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2012 - 17:17

Anyone heard anything? I am guessing that it is going to take a while.

#4 oldcards

oldcards

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2012 - 18:14

I keep watching Nathan's YouTube channel waiting for the video...
At least I hope the announcement is via a "Nathan's Famous Video!"
I'm sure it isn't an easy decision to make and is taking some time. Maybe we can soon get a date when he plans on announcing the winner.

Andy

#5 oldcards

oldcards

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 20:55

I was surprised by a box from Noodler's today. Inside were 2 pens and a bottle of ink for my entries!
My wife recieved 1 pen and 1 bottle for her entry. Both had wonderful letters that could have only been written by Nathan.
Hopefully we will hear who won the grand prize soon. Can't wait to see what art won!

Andy

#6 mrwatson

mrwatson

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 21:04

I was surprised by a box from Noodler's today. Inside were 2 pens and a bottle of ink for my entries!
My wife recieved 1 pen and 1 bottle for her entry. Both had wonderful letters that could have only been written by Nathan.
Hopefully we will hear who won the grand prize soon. Can't wait to see what art won!

Andy

That's great news, Andy! What type of pen and what ink did you receive? I am curious to see if other folks receive the same or different pens and inks. I entered some art in the contest, but have not received anything yet.

-Mark

#7 wisteriax

wisteriax

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 23:05

I also got a box from Noodler's today, hurrah!!
Inside were two pens and a bottle of ink, plus a letter signed by Nathan himself. What really impressed me is that on the mailing label and also on the letter is a thumbnail of the original artwork that I sent :)

The pens are a Konrad flex nib in a lovely burgundy with a pearlescent swirled barrel and clear ink window, and a Neponset in green & black ebonite. The ink is called Rome Burning - have not heard of it before but it's a lovely coppery shade. Have not seen the Neponset before either - it has a flex nib and a filler like the Ahab, but looks something like the original ebonite Noodler's pens - cigar shaped. I am so surprised and pleased!

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!
And congrats to all of the other winners!!!

#8 mcg1355

mcg1355

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 23:14

Congrats to all!!!

I would love to see pictures of the pens and ink you all are getting as well as the art you submitted. That would be awesome!

Thanks,
-Nick

#9 krz

krz

...just drawn that way.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 23:51

I too was impressed by all of the great entries in the contest.

The Konrad pen is a nice mate to my Konrad pen brush. Both piston fillers.

The Neponset (Blimp) flex pen I've dubbed "Big Eb" is my dream art pen. A large pen made of mostly ebonite fits nicely in my hand. Perfect for larger drawings. I can only imagine how much ink it will hold as a eyedropper!

The "Rome Burning" ink is interesting. It seems to come out of my pen brush reddish and then turns to a golden brown.

Edited by krz, 23 April 2012 - 23:53.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

#10 bitterwonder

bitterwonder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 944 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:07

I too received a box today.
A Konrad fountain pen in burgundy and a bottle of Rome Burning ink.
It is too dark at home to see the color but I am delighted with this surprise.

I had been wanting a Konrad pen; I like my brush pen very much.

Thank you Noodler's and Mr Tardiff.

#11 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:21

I wonder if this is a contest exclusive ink or an interesting way to preview what may perhaps be a new "Roses" type ink given that it seems to be getting given away with flex pens.

#12 oldcards

oldcards

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:53

I too recieved the ebonite blimp pen and the resin Konrad flex. The ebonite pen has the Ahab filler. The Konrad is a red and pearl swirl.
I haven't tried the Rome Burning ink yet but I will post some pics soon.
Below are a few pics....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thank you Noodler's and Nathan! Great prizes for sure!

Edited by oldcards, 24 April 2012 - 00:55.

#13 DEFishback

DEFishback

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:16

Posted Image

The Neponset is even larger than the Ahab, uses the same piston filling mechanism, and seems to have the same feed and nib. This is a lovely brown and black swirl ebonite -- very classic.

The Konrad is smaller than the Ahab, and quite similar in dimension and heft to my Pelikan M205 rollerball. The nib has more tipping material than any other Noodler's pen I've encountered, and is actually very smooth. The feed is flowing a bit rich right now, but I'll be able to tweak it.

The "Rome Burning" ink is the golden brown ink you see in the photo. It looks like prune juice in the bottle, but on paper the yellow component takes over.

Thanks to Nathan for being so generous with us on this contest. I was not expecting to get next-gen gear! And thanks to Dick Egolf for doing so much work on the contest logistics.

Regards,
Doug

EDIT: PS, read the insert paper for the Neponset. Nathan made it up special for us contestants. And apparently Nathan's grandfather was a blimp pilot.

Also, I suppose it won't hurt for me to add that I vote for R. Alzofon's catfish tornado piece as the winner. It's a great concept wickedly well executed. Many, many great entries, though.

Edited by DEFishback, 24 April 2012 - 01:30.

#14 mrt77

mrt77

YEAH! Here comes Amos!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:37

Is Rome Burning a bulletproof ink?

#15 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:40

I too recieved the ebonite blimp pen and the resin Konrad flex. The ebonite pen has the Ahab filler. The Konrad is a red and pearl swirl.
I haven't tried the Rome Burning ink yet but I will post some pics soon.
Below are a few pics....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thank you Noodler's and Nathan! Great prizes for sure!

Congratulations! I love the ink bottle, with Thomas Jefferson and the words about a frugal government. I love all the wonderful ideas Nathan has.
Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

#16 mcg1355

mcg1355

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:21

Thanks for the pics everyone! :thumbup:

The pics of the pen look like they are made of the same "black walnut" ebonite that one of my Konrad ebonite flex pens that showed up today is made of. I wouldn't be surprised if there are "jade ebony" ebonite and "chestnut" ebonite versions of your contest prize pens as well. They look like awesome pens that I would love to have, not that I would ever ask any of you to give yourse up.

Any of you lucky winners willing to do an ink review of your new ink? I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
-Nick

#17 threeamigos

threeamigos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:46

Congratulations to all the winners. Nathan's youtube post does show all the entries. I am impressed with all the great artwork.

#18 Altruism

Altruism

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:33

The coveted youtube vid: Clicking here will take you to youtube!

#19 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:51

I don't envy Nathan for having to have to judge between all the amazing entries.
I'm totally envious of everyone's talent.
Also sounds as if I may want to look into getting one of the Konrad FPs. I had gotten a Flex Piston because it was a bit less expensive than an Ahab, and tried it last night for the first time. I like it, but I'm thinking that it is extremely light. Sounds, from someone's description here, that a Konrad is sized between a Flex and an Ahab -- is that righr? (Also sounds as if a Neponset is going to be way too large for my small hands....)
Congratulations to all the people who won stuff.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#20 the flexistentialist

the flexistentialist

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 19:01

I just received a box from Noodler's as well – 2 pens and a lovely bottle of ink. It looks like the FPN has quite the showing in this contest. :)

Congrats to everyone!

the flexistentialist

#21 htom

htom

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 19:05

Wow. What a collection of artistic expressions. I never thought I'd be interested in a brown ink.

#22 wisteriax

wisteriax

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 19:28

Spoiler Alert!

If you watch the aforementioned YouTube video all the way through...you'll see that the ink may or may not be a golden brown...depending on 'excess liquidity' haha! Nathan's latest ink riddle really takes the cake - I'm completely amazed! How does he do it???

Ruth - yes, the Konrad is between the sizes of the piston fill flex and the Ahab. Girth is more substantial than the standard flex, but not as fat as the Ahab.

And WOW there are so many wonderful contest entries - a must see! I recommend viewing it at full screen size to take in all of the details.

Edited by wisteriax, 24 April 2012 - 19:47.

#23 Eternally Noodling

Eternally Noodling

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:47

At the risk of only further angering every overseas dealer in Noodler's Inks that I have so egregiously fallen behind in shipping since entering the turbulent world of pen manufacturing (Massachusetts has only become steadily more hostile to any hope of being internationally competitive – NOT the Massachusetts workers – who are some of the best people around…but certainly the people that have monopolized one party rule into an art form of horrific proportions – 4 felon speakers for instance…)…as well as those who sent in vintage pen repair items (and a few of you know I had asked that you NOT send them!) that are horribly delayed – some of the worst delays and backlogs I have ever experienced – the kind that for the first time make the deep six look like a nice relaxing nap…well, here goes:

The art contest never reached the volume of entries I dared people to aim for in exchange for the large celluloid pens being added to the awards, however…I added extra pens anyway because the quality of so many entries exceeded all prior contemplations. There were many who did not receive pens who were also incredibly talented – and if there was a margin here beyond passion I would have included them as well – but it has always been a razor's edge business and probably always will be due in part to my own insistence that it follow certain principles (such as…each product must be something I would want to buy/own/maintain myself). Corporate America would do a few "obvious" things: raise prices (a LOT), cut out retailers, eliminate US sourced parts, focus on European style branding (you know, where you can't even run for office in Paris unless you are from a particular schooling and background?)…etc…

I just ask of those who did not receive first place but feel that they should have – I want you to know that I thought that in a perfect world there would have been multiple first place winners in this contest….but I did not have the resources to do that. Some of the artwork is the work of pure genius. There is no doubt in my mind of that…and I'm sorry that I could not do all that brilliance the full measure of appreciation it deserved – but that full measure in my mind can never be reached. Art sometimes has no price point and math fails in trying to value it.

Now I'll leave and get back to the ink and the pens….and hope that the next time a "Holier than thou" desires power over free people by stating in some online forum "nobody can use this ink because I say it is bad and I am far more knowledgeable than anyone else in pendom"…..it would warm my heart if I heard that the same individual were sent a letter written with the same ink stating simply: "I am free to choose anything that enhances my free pursuit of my own personal happiness…whatever that may be….as we are all running out of time - and you, dear sir - have already wasted too much of mine!" ;-) Thank you to all of those enlightened people for defending the freedom to choose inks and pens of your own personal preference on this board.

Hopefully u-tube is immortal and the art will remain there in the electronic ether forever.

Best wishes to all,

Nathan

(PS, the fellow with the attached pen waited a long time...the clips were not right yet...the nibs still are not as flexible as they could be - but this is the kind of pen one gets from Taxachusetts for a particular type of label on a particular bottle of ink)

Attached Images

• baystate1.jpg

Edited by Eternally Noodling, 24 April 2012 - 20:54.

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:
Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

#24 jotterius

jotterius

ebonite junkie :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:27

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: this is a beautiful pen. Great job Nathan :thumbup:
Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

#25 SecondChildhood

SecondChildhood

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 22:03

NoodlersPrize.jpg

What an amazing and generous prize, Nathan. Thank you so much! The contest was fun and challenging and the entries were inspiring. The Konrad pen writes beautifully and I love the color swirl on the barrel and ... wow, the ink is ... magic, but I won't be a spoiler and post a fabulous blot on the tissue I wiped the point with after I filled the pen -- unless someone asks me to.

Edited by SecondChildhood, 25 April 2012 - 00:17.

http://secondchildhoodspencollection.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#9
http://secondchildhoodspencollection.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#10

#26 OPG4711

OPG4711

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:04

Does anyone know when the Rome is Burning ink will be released to the non-artistic FP users?
- OPG4711

#27 GOB Bluth

GOB Bluth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:23

I just received a box from Noodler's as well – 2 pens and a lovely bottle of ink. It looks like the FPN has quite the showing in this contest. :)

Congrats to everyone!

the flexistentialist

Does anyone know if he gave ink and pen to only those top forty, or everyone who entered?

#28 MrsGouletPens

MrsGouletPens

The Goulet Pen Company

• Member - Gold

• 1,127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:58

Does anyone know when the Rome is Burning ink will be released to the non-artistic FP users?

Give it a few weeks or so... it's currently in production. :thumbup:

GPCsticker.jpg InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Ink Nouveau

#29 Eternally Noodling

Eternally Noodling

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:20

[/quote]

Does anyone know if he gave ink and pen to only those top forty, or everyone who entered?
[/quote]

...the top 40 entrants - and next time it will also be the top 40 entrants...with the top 10 getting something more and the 1st place winner getting the largest share (which includes some gold nibs and a custom precious metal overlay). It might become a repeat contest - say, once every 2 years or 18 months. The impossibility of hiring help in mass. likely means fewer contests...as there is no time to even think as I wait for God.

Several Noodler's fans have pushed to make this a regular ink...even though it was designed as an art contest statement. It is a large label done in the highest resolution akin to the money we once had - requiring special printing...and the ink is very specific. It won't be easy to make a lot of it anytime soon...but more will be made in some quantity. I can assure you of one thing - what was extra is already gone and thus - any more will be made only after a delay. Wish I could ship instantly - but I can't.

FYI - I liked Julius Caesar....he resided over sound money policies for the brief time he was leading Rome - and the official date for the letters of recommendation for the contest winners was March 15th for a reason. The emperor on the label is the smirking NERO !! NOT Julius or Augustus!!! I was tempted to use Chinese dynastic cycles to show the ill events caused by excessive monetary expansion...but so little information could be found except in very specific searches and very old reference texts...that I feared people would not be readily able to find out more about the "Mandate of Heaven" as it relates to dynastic cycles of monetary devaluations. Jefferson and Jackson are easily found online...and their words hit harder than the far more indirect words of long since past Mandarin officials on the other side of the globe. Rest assured though - such ideas will be used one day in China...as they are devastatingly similar to certain economic scenarios that are likely to play out in the next 12 years on the mainland.
"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:
Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

#30 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 4,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:09

...the top 40 entrants - and next time it will also be the top 40 entrants...with the top 10 getting something more and the 1st place winner getting the largest share (which includes some gold nibs and a custom precious metal overlay). It might become a repeat contest - say, once every 2 years or 18 months. The impossibility of hiring help in mass. likely means fewer contests...as there is no time to even think as I wait for God.

Several Noodler's fans have pushed to make this a regular ink...even though it was designed as an art contest statement. It is a large label done in the highest resolution akin to the money we once had - requiring special printing...and the ink is very specific. It won't be easy to make a lot of it anytime soon...but more will be made in some quantity. I can assure you of one thing - what was extra is already gone and thus - any more will be made only after a delay. Wish I could ship instantly - but I can't.

FYI - I liked Julius Caesar....he resided over sound money policies for the brief time he was leading Rome - and the official date for the letters of recommendation for the contest winners was March 15th for a reason. The emperor on the label is the smirking NERO !! NOT Julius or Augustus!!! I was tempted to use Chinese dynastic cycles to show the ill events caused by excessive monetary expansion...but so little information could be found except in very specific searches and very old reference texts...that I feared people would not be readily able to find out more about the "Mandate of Heaven" as it relates to dynastic cycles of monetary devaluations. Jefferson and Jackson are easily found online...and their words hit harder than the far more indirect words of long since past Mandarin officials on the other side of the globe. Rest assured though - such ideas will be used one day in China...as they are devastatingly similar to certain economic scenarios that are likely to play out in the next 12 years on the mainland.

WOW! A post from Nathan about this contest and his new ink. Great to see! So many fabulous submissions, it must have been hard to pick just one winner.
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.