Photo

Sheaffer Imperial Sterling Pens A Reaction To Parker's Sterling Pens?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:31

I'm curious how if this was the case.
A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#2 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 1,996 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 18:24

Surely so. The interesting thing is that aside from the Parker 75 and the sterling Imperials, silver pens really weren't much of a popular success either before or after.

#3 Moondust

Moondust

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 19:04

Surely so. The interesting thing is that aside from the Parker 75 and the sterling Imperials, silver pens really weren't much of a popular success either before or after.

Interesting....
Funny thing is that just now I'm caught in a fight with myself over a Parker 75 silver Cisele and a Sheaffer Imperial silver pen. My father lost a Parker 75 ballpoint and I set out to find a replacement. On a dutch fleaybay site someone offered both the Parker 75 set and a Sheaffer Imperial silver set. The pictures raised my interest in the Sheaffer and to my surprise I found I liked it more than the Parker. I bought the Parker set at a reasonable price so now my father will be getting his pen. I originally wanted to keep the Parker fountain pen but now am seriously considering putting it up for sale to raise funds for the Sheaffer...

But then again, the Parker 75 is so beautifully made - I love the way the cap and barrel connect (?) in one smooth movement without a thicker cap band interrupting it all. :unsure:

Well... I guess this is just how it goes, I didn't and still don't want to be a collector but what can I do when the pens just want to live with me :mellow:
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need
Rolling Stones

#4 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• 1,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:02

I currently own both Sterling versions: Parker 75 Cisele fountain pen, ballpoint and pencil as well as Sheaffer diamond grid fountain pen (Touchdown), ballpoint and pencil.

I must admit that I think the Parker instruments look more pleasing to the eyes. However, the Sheaffer pens destroy the Parker 75 in mechanics--Touchdown piston fill is awesome and the ballpoint "clicks" to write through the clip (Sheaffer patent?), which to me is a wondrous novelty.

Interesting....
Funny thing is that just now I'm caught in a fight with myself over a Parker 75 silver Cisele and a Sheaffer Imperial silver pen. My father lost a Parker 75 ballpoint and I set out to find a replacement. On a dutch fleaybay site someone offered both the Parker 75 set and a Sheaffer Imperial silver set. The pictures raised my interest in the Sheaffer and to my surprise I found I liked it more than the Parker. I bought the Parker set at a reasonable price so now my father will be getting his pen. I originally wanted to keep the Parker fountain pen but now am seriously considering putting it up for sale to raise funds for the Sheaffer...

But then again, the Parker 75 is so beautifully made - I love the way the cap and barrel connect (?) in one smooth movement without a thicker cap band interrupting it all. :unsure:

Well... I guess this is just how it goes, I didn't and still don't want to be a collector but what can I do when the pens just want to live with me :mellow:

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#5 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• Moderators

• 2,581 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:31

I'm more a fan of the Sheaffer sterling Imperial than the Parker 75, but I think its interesting that the Sheaffer came after, in response to the Parker 75.
How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson