Clumpy Ink Build Up On Feed

Nic13

so today I decided I was going to use some of the sample of pumpkin from Daimine. I have been experiencing build up on the edges of the feed.

I am not bashing the ink or anything, I will still use it if I want I will just take some napkins to wipe it off

I just would like to know if this common for Diamine and or other inks?

what causes it to happen?

would it maybe just be a bad batch?

pic of buildup

post-82157-0-95614600-1330553386.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Nic13

• KCat

• Oranges and Apples

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This happens to me too! I was beginning to think it was just me. I have pumpkin and cerise and they both do this in every pen i try it in. I dont have this problem with other inks so i just assumed it was a "feature" of the ink and that it was too runny for my pens. No idea what to do about it, so I too would be glad for advice. :crybaby:

I don't know these particular inks, but you are experiencing a phenomenon known as "nib creep". This only seems to occur with some formulations of inks and not specific to a brand. I experienced this, badly, with J. Herbin 1670, and had to stop using it. If the ink is fairly saturated, you might be able to minimize it by diluting the ink a bit with some distilled water (just a drop or two) without affecting the performance of the ink. Some inks, though, just seem to be this way.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

This isn't creep. This seems to be a property of Pumpkin and I think Diamine Orange as well. Do a search on Diamine Pumpkin and and Diamine Orange and you'll find a couple of threads about this with very similar pictures. Icky poo!

Apparently does no harm to the pen at all but sure looks disgusting to me.

This is a sort of crystallizing of the dye compounds in all likelihood. Creep is just surface tension and whatnot at play.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

It's normal for Diamine Pumpkin. It doesn't bother me, but some people really hate it.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

This happens to my Diamine: Orange, Pumpkin, and my Montblanc Ink of Joy (also an orange ink). Perhaps it is a common among orange inks of other brands besides Noodler's because my Apache Sunset and Habanero do not produce clumps.

This isn't creep. This seems to be a property of Pumpkin and I think Diamine Orange as well. Do a search on Diamine Pumpkin and and Diamine Orange and you'll find a couple of threads about this with very similar pictures. Icky poo!

This is a sort of crystallizing of the dye compounds in all likelihood. Creep is just surface tension and whatnot at play.

Thanks, KCat, I bow to your experience. The photo looked like the creep I experienced, but this seems a different story.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, KCat, I bow to your experience. The photo looked like the creep I experienced, but this seems a different story.

well, we can call this a matter of semantics, perhaps. To me, creep is just a matter of inks crawling onto surfaces. It tends to stay wet and wipe off easily. In the above case, the ink still crawled by the look of it, but it went a step further and started to grow crystals (also, by the look of it). I'd love to see this structure under a microscope. In my encounter with this formation, it had a gritty texture, albeit very fine grit.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Same thing happens to me with Diamine Pumpkin. I dip the nib in some clear water and it seems to work just fine. I make sure to do a really good flush. I soak the whole nib section in water with a drop of dishsoap overnight, then give that a really good flush in clean water before putting the pen away.

Thank you to everyone for all the info you provided!!

I was just curious as to what it was and why it happens mostly ^_^

seems I am not the only one that has dealt with it so that makes me feel less like a beginner at this stuff

I have not used many orange inks as I am still starting out in this and well college makes you poor -_-

but maybe it has something to do with one of the chemicals in the color orange?

Something to investigate!!!

Kcat--- I'll see if I can get some pictures of it under a microscope

Edited by Nic13

Thank you to everyone for all the info you provided!!

I was just curious as to what it was and why it happens mostly ^_^

seems I am not the only one that has dealt with it so that makes me feel less like a beginner at this stuff

I have not used many orange inks as I am still starting out in this and well college makes you poor -_-

but maybe it has something to do with one of the chemicals in the color orange?

Something to investigate!!!

Kcat--- I'll see if I can get some pictures of it under a microscope

Nice. To see if it actually has crystalline structure would be cool. When I saw this I was already out of the lab so I couldn't investigate. :(

KCat

I don't know these particular inks, but you are experiencing a phenomenon known as "nib creep". This only seems to occur with some formulations of inks and not specific to a brand. I experienced this, badly, with J. Herbin 1670, and had to stop using it. If the ink is fairly saturated, you might be able to minimize it by diluting the ink a bit with some distilled water (just a drop or two) without affecting the performance of the ink. Some inks, though, just seem to be this way.

That definetly is not "nib creep". Nib creep is when you try to clean off a nib and the ink still creeps out of the slit to cover the nib no matter how well you cleaned the nib before. This is a case of just crystalization. I have heard that it happens with certain inks, and its harmless.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Has anyone tried dropping the crystals into a vial and rehydrating them for actual use?

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

Has anyone tried dropping the crystals into a vial and rehydrating them for actual use?

I have dehydrated Diamine Orange and Pumpkin for watercolor use and it still works perfectly fine. It is like a sugar solution. When the water evaporates it crystallizes. I have not tried to use it in a pen though.

I have dehydrated Diamine Orange and Pumpkin for watercolor use and it still works perfectly fine. It is like a sugar solution. When the water evaporates it crystallizes. I have not tried to use it in a pen though.

You say watercolor use, so I'm guessing they arent as intense a color as the actual ink? Is there a % dilution of the original ink that would match it?

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

Not the 1st time I've posted this photo, but it is apropos

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6721127831_e6d11916ba_z.jpg

R&K Helianthus in this case. The odd thing is that if you put a few drops of water on the crystals with an eyedropper, they do not look like they're dissolving. Put them on a wet paper towel and rub them around and they do fully dissolve, eventually.

I didn't see this happen a second time.

That definetly is not "nib creep"

Once again, I stand corrected.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Just an update, my initial picture (see top) the ink is more gummy and concentrated.

It washes off just fine no extra work.

It seems that it is ink that runs off the feed and then the water starts to evaporate very rapidly. I have tried to get a sample but it is like looking at glue or ink that is used for a printing press.

sorry Kcat nothing under the scope other then a black blob, maybe if it was dried out more?

it only seems to happen during use of the pen as I did not get any new accumulation overnight with the pen standing upright in my glass jar.

I do not have much left at this time as I only started with a small sample 3ml? eventually I will get a bottle as I enjoy the color and the looks people give when they see the ink :roflmho:

what I have left I will need to get a syringe to get in my pen and will try to get one soon.

a side note---pumpkin under the thumb nail and around the cuticle = hot pink thumb...not sure why, just me maybe?

• 2 months later...

When I first used the Diamine Pumpkin it didn't do this at all in my fountain pens with medium nibs. This time around I inked my FP (Fine nib) with the Pumpkin, and discovered the same orange gunk build up on the nib. I am relieved this is a common occurance with this particular ink color. My first thought I didn't flush the pen thoroughly and the Pumpkin ink was reacting to the residue of the previous ink.

Edited by Mikale

Best Regards,

Mikale

How many of you with this orange gunk are using it in pens with safety breather holes in the caps rather than completely sealed caps?

In my sealed Onoto Magna 261 I get absolutely no gunk at all with Pumpkin because there is no way for the ink to evaporate. If the cap has a breather hole then the ink can evaporate leaving this crud.