Rohrer & Klingner Glass Pen Set

fiberdrunk

I took advantage of Nordic Pen's sale earlier this month and got this wonderful glass pen set by Rohrer & Klingner. It comes with one very nice glass pen, 2 bottles of ink (I chose Scabiosa & Salix, their iron galls, though there are other ink combinations you can choose from) and it all comes in a nice, sturdy gift box. I'm very happy with the purchase. The set came to $28.61, with free shipping-- quite a bargain!

I've only ever had J. Herbin glass pens before, and while those have been wonderful to write with, the R&K tops J. Herbin in smoothness. I do believe the R&K pen puts down a slightly thicker line than the J. Herbin glass pens, too. The R&K's disk-like finger-stop seems to help my fingers get a lot less inky while writing than the round, marble-shaped finger-stop of the J. Herbin pen. I've also noticed I can write a lot longer with the R&K pen before I have to dip again, compared with the J. Herbin.

The writing sample was done on Strathmore Calligraphy 400 series paper. I used both Scabiosa and Salix in the sample.

So far as I know, the only place that carries these pens in the U.S. is the Pear Tree Pen Company. They only seem to offer single glass pens. I don't see the box set that includes 2 bottles of ink, like Nordic Pens has.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7049/6936809239_dde8b8700c_b.jpg

Comes with a nice sturdy gift box:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/6790686300_83eeeb41ca_b.jpg

Pen rest not included (but you can get that at Paper & Ink Arts):

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7206/6790688110_8b7e13b57b_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6936807161_6ed58ae65b_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/6790693654_399745ba72_b.jpg

If you can't read my scribble, here's the poem:

We play at Paste--

Till qualified, for Pearl--

Then, drop the Paste--

And deem ourself a fool--

The Shapes-- though-- were similar--

And our new Hands

Learned Gem-Tactics--

Practicing Sands--

--Emily Dickinson #320 (c. 1862)

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• IWantThat

• anomander88

• Lalique

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pen is beautiful! I have the J. Herbin glass pen but have to admit I've never quite gotten the hang of it embarrassed_smile.gif Still, they are fun! Nice review.

Tamara

The pen is beautiful! I have the J. Herbin glass pen but have to admit I've never quite gotten the hang of it embarrassed_smile.gif Still, they are fun! Nice review.

Thanks! The Goulet's have a great video for the J. Herbin glass pen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTUsNrLd6q8

Are you able to get the ink to flow with yours at all? There was a bad batch of J. Herbin glass pens about a year or so ago. They don't work at all. It could be that you just have a bad pen.

Aloha, fiberdrunk:

I love your review of the Nordic Pens Rohrer & Klingner glass dip pen. It's a beautiful pen! Thank you too for sharing samples of your handwriting with the R & K Scabiosa & Salix inks on that lovely, well textured Strathmore Calligraphy 400 series paper. The addition of the Goulet Pen Company's J. Herbin glass pen demonstration video is very helpful for people not familiar with glass dip pens. Your glass dip pens, inks and paper review is very well done and inspiring! Please show us more of your written work with glass dip pens, inks and papers. It's all so very enjoyable.

: ) :cloud9:

I am going to purchase a Rohrer & Klingner glass dip pen set, I am that impressed with it! :thumbup:

Edited by Lalique

Thanks! The Goulet's have a great video for the J. Herbin glass pen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTUsNrLd6q8

Are you able to get the ink to flow with yours at all? There was a bad batch of J. Herbin glass pens about a year or so ago. They don't work at all. It could be that you just have a bad pen.

I mostly get globs of ink. I may try the R & K ink. Maybe the results will be better. I've had two of the J. Herbin glass pens, but broke the tip of the first one. My writing experience is similar with both, so I'm pretty sure it's me roflmho.gif

Tamara

I purchased a J. Herbin glass pen from a member just after joining FPN and have used it many times. I've had no problems with ink flow, globs or any other difficulty. I'd like to try the R&K, though.

I mostly get globs of ink. I may try the R & K ink. Maybe the results will be better. I've had two of the J. Herbin glass pens, but broke the tip of the first one. My writing experience is similar with both, so I'm pretty sure it's me roflmho.gif

After you dip, wipe the excess ink on the nib along the inside of the bottle opening before writing. That helps with the blobs.

Aloha, fiberdrunk:

I love your review of the Nordic Pens Rohrer & Klingner glass dip pen. It's a beautiful pen! Thank you too for sharing samples of your handwriting with the R & K Scabiosa & Salix inks on that lovely, well textured Strathmore Calligraphy 400 series paper. The addition of the Goulet Pen Company's J. Herbin glass pen demonstration video is very helpful for people not familiar with glass dip pens. Your glass dip pens, inks and paper review is very well done and inspiring! Please show us more of your written work with glass dip pens, inks and papers. It's all so very enjoyable.

: ) :cloud9:

I am going to purchase a Rohrer & Klingner glass dip pen set, I am that impressed with it! :thumbup:

Thank you! That was the nicest compliment ever! I'll try to get a review done of the J. Herbin glass pen this week.

Nice review Fiberdrunk, that is one pretty pen. Salix and Scabiosa are two of my favorite inks. How do you like them compared to your own IG inks?

Nice review Fiberdrunk, that is one pretty pen. Salix and Scabiosa are two of my favorite inks. How do you like them compared to your own IG inks?

Well, my own homemade iron gall inks are far more permanent... they show little fading in a sunny window, even after a year. But I do love the blue and purplish colors of Salix and Scabiosa... I wish I could figure out a way to add colored dyes to my homemade ink without compromising its longevity (both in the bottle and on the page). So it's a trade-off... pretty colors or permanence. I guess I can't have both! I'm sort of stuck with grays and black, though that's not so bad.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Thanks for the review...I've always wanted to try a glass pen. Do they come in flex nibs?

Just kidding before someone responds to that!

the pen is the window into the writer's soul

www.spinningtrees.webuda.com

Thanks for the review...I've always wanted to try a glass pen. Do they come in flex nibs?

Just kidding before someone responds to that!

Actually, they do! :roflmho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P1hCGPTMZM

eta: The Writing Pen Store sells this type, though I've never ordered from this company nor tried this kind of glass pen with a metal flex nib before, so I can't comment about it. (I notice they sell Authentic Models glass pens and must warn everyone away from that particular brand of glass pen... they're pretty, but don't work.)

Edited by fiberdrunk

Do all glass dip pens come in only one nib size?

No EF, F, M, B, BB etc?

"To remember what needs to be remembered is the secret of success" Nisargadatta Maharaj

Do all glass dip pens come in only one nib size?

No EF, F, M, B, BB etc?

Yes, just one size. I'd say this one puts down a medium line.

• 2 weeks later...

That was quite a sale! Sorry I missed it. It's up to $46 right now, and I see nothing about free shipping!

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

That was quite a sale! Sorry I missed it. It's up to $46 right now, and I see nothing about free shipping!

It's gone up even more. I just checked it and it's up to $49! By the way, Nordic Pens always has free shipping, including free international shipping. Yes, I got a great deal! From what I understand, Nordic Pens has this big sale annually.

Edited by fiberdrunk

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd give a heads up that the Goulet's are now carrying this great pen, and even the box set with the two inks.

• 2 weeks later...

To write a full page, about how many times do you have to dip the pen?

I had these amazing pens that I could write a full page with... Dang I miss them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

To write a full page, about how many times do you have to dip the pen?

I had these amazing pens that I could write a full page with... Dang I miss them.

I did a test for another thread (where I compared various glass pens) and wrote up to 50 without dipping for the Rohrer & Klingner pen. I probably could have gone a little longer, but it began to feel drier at that point. I'll keep practicing and see if I can get a full page out of one dip... that would be amazing!

By the way, what kind of glass pen did you have where you got an entire page out of one dip?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6817316362_a2858be346_b.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one of these sets during the recent sale from Nordic pen (truly great service and prices) based on your review and I will say that I think you were completely accurate! I love this glass pen (mine is a clone of the one you have as far as looks). I got it with Cassia and Scabiosa. The pen writes a somewhat wet line at first and gradually as the ink is used up it delivers less ink. This can be mitigated allowing for a more even appearance by slowing down, but to me I would rather just redip! My Herbin pen is much like your Blue Glass pen...dry, scratchy and it has poor flow characteristics. No amount of tip treatment has improved it very much. It is to the point that I don't use it. I probably got a "bad one" so I don't want to speak negatively about them at all...just want to confirm how nice the R&K pen performs. I'll add that the box the set comes in is also pretty stout so it was good protection for the trip from Sweden! Thank you so much for your review!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg