Montblanc Carlo Collodi - Writers Edition 2011

Sidestreaker

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2240078.jpg

Before the Montblanc Collodi was released, I was excited to see this in the webpage and some leak photos. Subsequently I've concluded that this pen has too much gold, too ornate and probably impractical for everyday use. At that point, I’ve actually strike it off from my potential list of collection of pens. Soon afterwards, I’ve started to grow into it and it took several viewing of this pen to change my mind and soon realized that this is a well-made and beautiful pen after all. The first batch of the fountain pen was moving rather quickly and I’ve decided to wait and see. It is an attractive pen but it wasn’t enough for me to purchase it at the full price at a boutique, just to send it off for a nib exchange for a couple of weeks. I was hoping to wait till the supply trickle down to some authorized dealers and hope to find one with a bargain. Indeed that happened when I stepped into a shop and was actually hoping to find something else but instead the Collodi caught my attention. Furthermore, it has a B nib and the dealer was willing to give a fair discount (despite being a new stock) and allowed me to test dip! What more could one ask for.

First Impression:

It comes in a Typical WE packaging style in a form of a book-like box. I’m beginning to like this sort of packaging. Not too big, not too small, I’ve actually arranged the collection of my book-boxes of WEs in my bookshelf and should this collection continues to expand further, I will have myself a row of WE on my bookshelf (this is how I keep the pens now). Also, it comes with an instruction booklet/warrantee card, complete with a brief description of the product, profile of the writer and visuals of the author and the collection of FP, RB, BP and pencils.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2240081.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2240083.jpg

Design 8.5/10:

The MB Collodi WE is a very well ornate pen, make no mistake there. The skeletonized motifs have literal interpretations of the characters in Pinocchio’s story while the cone-like piston knob symbolizes Pinocchio’s nose. The skeletonized cap is over a resin barrel with a hinged-like clip completes the design along with the aged resin Montblanc star. The barrel of the pen is made of the same plain brown coloured resin, and unlike the precious black resin on the Miesterstuck series, this resin is very much opaque and does not have any kind of red luminance when near a light source. There are no ink windows. The nib, a single coloured champagne-gold plated over an 18k nib has a motif of a cricket. The piston knob is part of the 10 segments gold plated end tip of the pen. The piston knob breaks away at the 4th segment from the resin barrel as it turns away to activate the piston. The surface of the gold plating here has brushed surfaces that give a pleasant variety of gold texture on the pen. Though the cap seems to be shorter in proportion compared to other pens, the whole composition of all the components goes well together. The plain and simple looking barrel and the piston-knob balances out the ornate looking cap.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250169.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250176.jpg

Construction and Quality 8/10:

A very well built pen. All joints and parts are solidly put together and precise. The golden skeletal cap over the brown resin were perfectly assembled and there are no loose joints or gaps there. The barrel screws in tightly into the cap and the piston knob when closed, looks seamless with the rest of the segment. However, one of my earlier viewing and handling of this pen at a boutique reveals that not all specimens are as well assembled (uneven gold plating and surface blemish). I suppose there is always a bad egg amongst the finest of products.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250164.jpg

Weight and Dimension 7.5/10

When uncapped and un-posted, this barrel of the pen seems to be longer ones when compared to the other 146 size MB models. The longer dimension suggests that it is best to write with un-posted. The extra length of the piston knob which makes it rather comfortable to write with (my hands are almost of medium size). The pen is light and great for long writing sessions and it's almost as comfortable as the MB146. The extra length of the piston knob allows the pen to rest well on the back of my hand. Posting the cap will just make writing unbalanced with the heavy cap. Again, the brass component add a little bit of weight to the rear but still maintains balance on the overall handling of the pen (without the the cap, that is). The slight step down where the threads are does not seem to get in the way of my grip but rather help to secure the pen even more.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250114.jpg

Refill System 9/10

The piston refill system is easy and smooth. So far, the smoothest piston mechanism I have ever used is the Pelikan M1000 or M800. The Collodi rivals those legendary pens. Unfortunately I do not have a picture to illustrate how the piston knob breaks away from the barrel when the piston is activated. I noticed that this is the first time in a modern MB that the treads can’t be seen when the piston is activated, again similar to the Pelikan construction. The turning of the knob is almost effortless and cleaning it with repetitive action has never been easier. the extra length of the knob also allows better grip for the turning action. The brushed golden plated surface gives a good feel of touch, somewhat warmer than the standard polished metal surface in other WEs. Having no ink window is not really a concern as this certainly will serve as my desk pen.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250117.jpg

Nib and Performance 8.5/10

The B-nib is glass smooth and has a consistent and wet flow. Testing it at the shop helped me greatly in my decision to purchase this pen. Though I would still rate my 149 B nib as one of my favourite broad nibs, the Collodi does give the similar satisfaction with its stubbish lines and steady ink flow. The design of the nib has a cricket motif engraving. It is one of the simpler motifs in MB nibs, similar in spirit of Mark Twain or Kafka. The champagne gold plating gives it a uniform quality of appearance with the other parts of the pen.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250152.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250105.jpg

Value 7/10

I resisted purchasing this during its release as I wasn’t certain with my decision to include the Collodi in my collection. I was hoping to find this with an AD to enjoy some discounted price, which I eventually did (>10% off, cheaper than the current ebay/online prices). The boutique retail price of this piece is a tab bit higher than the previous releases. For a new stock pen and readily available worldwide chain boutique and service, and the nib size of my choice without the wait, I think I’m rather happy with the deal.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250165.jpg

Summary 8.1/10

The opulent impression of the pen may deter one from considering it as an everyday pen. However, the simple barrel and writing block, lightweight construction seems to suggest that this pen is made to be a workhorse, yet in the same time, the dimension and handling of the pen, seems to suggest that it is made to be a desk pen. The Collodi reminds me of other similar pens in the WE collection namely the WE Charles Dickens with a Sterling Silver cap with a simple solid colour resin barrel, and WE Schiller with an amber cap and again a simple resin barrel. Overall, I think the WE Collodi is one of the more interesting LE Montblanc, and worth taking a look at. It took several viewings and testing before I was convinced, and in my experience, things that takes a while to grow into tends to have a longer relationship compared to those that impresses at first encounter. Even though I’m not convinced yet that this will be in my regular rotation of pens, but it is certainly a worthy addition to my collection. The design and attention and details that has been put into the pen has all the qualities that can be easily appreciated.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250130.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250142.jpg

Comparison with 146 and Mark Twain, the Collodi is significantly longer with the elongated piston knob

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250138.jpg

Comparison with 146 and Mark Twain, the Collodi has a smaller cap proportion to the overall length

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P2250112.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Sidestreaker

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sidestreaker

• torstar

• Wael El-Dasher

• hari317

Thanks you for posting this review together with lots of pictures.

All sounds very familiar to me! :thumbup:

Only one comment: the goldplating is champagne-gold according to the website of Montblanc.

Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to read more of your reviews!

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

Well, of all the observations and general comments on this pen, including the advertising blurb from MB, it is Sidestreaker's excellent review that would convince me to by this pen.

Super review. Thank you. :clap1:

Pavoni.

Thanks you for posting this review together with lots of pictures.All sounds very familiar to me! :thumbup: Only one comment: the goldplating is champagne-gold according to the website of Montblanc.Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to read more of your reviews!

Thanks! Ahr yes of course, it is champagne gold. article edited for mistakes. Cheers!

Well, of all the observations and general comments on this pen, including the advertising blurb from MB, it is Sidestreaker's excellent review that would convince me to by this pen. Super review. Thank you. :clap1: Pavoni.

Thanks Pavoni! Glad you enjoyed it.

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

Thanks for sharing, great review and photos. Use it in good health.

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

I like all your pen choices, 146, Twain and Collodi.

excellent review with comparison, great pics and writing sample :thumbup:

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Excellent review, thanks Sidestreaker!

Thanks for sharing, great review and photos. Use it in good health.cheersWael

Thank you for your kind words!

I like all your pen choices, 146, Twain and Collodi. excellent review with comparison, great pics and writing sample :thumbup:

Thanks! I have a preference of pen of that size (large to extra large) as I don't usually post my pens and I depend on the length of the barrel for balance.

Excellent review.So why does MB make LE pens that are egregiously unbalanced when posted?

Thank you. Hmmm, I suppose that to keep cap light-weight may reduce the flexibility or limit the creativity of the designer to try something new or different every-time.

Edited by Sidestreaker

My link

Excellent review, thanks Sidestreaker!

Thanks for sharing, great review and photos. Use it in good health.cheersWael

Thank you for your kind words!

I like all your pen choices, 146, Twain and Collodi. excellent review with comparison, great pics and writing sample :thumbup:

Thanks! I have a preference of pen of that size (large to extra large) as I don't usually post my pens and I depend on the length of the barrel for balance.

Excellent review.So why does MB make LE pens that are egregiously unbalanced when posted?

Thank you. Hmmm, I suppose that to keep cap light-weight may reduce the flexibility or limit the creativity of the designer to try something new or different every-time.

My Poe and Proust are well balanced when posted, the Verne is a millstone of a cap when posted.

I was just curious why they would deliberately put out a 146 that is too small for large hands unposted and unwieldy posted.

congrats :thumbup: I have tried one with a fine nib despite I am not into les and I wasn't disappointed but very enthusiasmed

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have this pen as well and I must say it's gorgeous. Just not an everyday pen for me. It should be worth noting, to anyone who's hesitating because it's too "ornate", the skeletonized cap is matte, not shiny. It's ornate but not in-your-face, which I really appreciate.

My Poe and Proust are well balanced when posted, the Verne is a millstone of a cap when posted.I was just curious why they would deliberately put out a 146 that is too small for large hands unposted and unwieldy posted.

That's true, the 146 size is rather small for larger hands if un-posted. In my collection, Fitzgerald and Dostoevsky can be posted and still maintains a good balance too.

To be honest also, I've been resisting in posting for most of my LEs not only because most of them has balance issue but also trying to avoid any scratches on the surface of the barrel. Ashamed to say that sometimes I'm a bit OCD when it comes to maintaining the looks of the pens, which overrule my sense of practicality :embarrassed_smile:

congrats :thumbup: I have tried one with a fine nib despite I am not into les and I wasn't disappointed but very enthusiasmed

Thanks! In my case, the same enthusiasm finally got to me :roflmho:

I have this pen as well and I must say it's gorgeous. Just not an everyday pen for me. It should be worth noting, to anyone who's hesitating because it's too "ornate", the skeletonized cap is matte, not shiny. It's ornate but not in-your-face, which I really appreciate.

I guess that's what make the final finish a lot more sophisticated. There are in total 3 or 4 champagne gold finish, the matte surface on the skeletonized are of the cap as mentioned by Rubicon here, the shiny bit on the edges and the clip and lastly, the brushed surface on the knob. To add to the point above, even the matte surface of the cap has 2 variants of texture, a more even grain on the outer surface and a coarser grain on the recessed area. All this add together a provide the much visual depth and interest.

My link

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding your OCD comment:

HAHA. Can totally understand. That's why I haven't moved up to the limited editions. I would just stare at and stroke them. My preciousssss...

Nice review!

nice review and pics!thanks!

Thank you!

Regarding your OCD comment:HAHA. Can totally understand. That's why I haven't moved up to the limited editions. I would just stare at and stroke them. My preciousssss...Nice review!

:W2FPN: Thanks! I think its a matter of time you'll get into the LE! Resistance is futile! :)

My link

I share your opinion on this pen. I also have a Collodi with a B nib. I have not yet inked any of my WE pens yet (I only dip tested to make sure the nib / feed is in good condition) as I like the craftmanship MB put into making those limited edition pens. Since I am already using my silver barley for my daily journal entry, maybe I should put those babies into my rotation in the future.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 1 year later...

I was in my usual Mont Blanc store when the Collodi series arrived and noticed the odd change in Mont Blanc's numbering of this series especially how it related to the matched sets. I was getting a bit of uninformed feedback at the time from the salesperson who was new so I bought the series immediately as it stated on the box it was matched set number 47 (or 41 it's tucked away in my safe) out of 100.

When I asked my friend and Manager of the store she stated the company line that it was Mont Blanc's new numbering with lowered matched serialized sets for the Writers Series which made no business sense at all. I immediately felt something was off and dug deeper only to find everyone was saying the same thing,until my friend at MB got a response from manufacturing that they screwed up and actually had to go in and hand pull 100 sets and match them accordingly. Another 100 were pulled and matched for the Asian market or so I was told.

The real test was how the next year was serialized and how many matched sets were produced Sure enough in 2012 Mont Blanc released Jonathan Swift and the serialization was as it was prior to 2011 Collodi Series (approximately 4,000 matched sets).

This and one other Mont Blanc Sets are the only ones I've ever put away due to there potential value which was later corroborated by several employees at MB. I do believe in using my pens but from what was being said in the internal rumor mill at MB I better just hold on to it.

My query is simple; has anyone else noticed this different serialization of the 2011 Collodi Writers Series and the limit of matched sets to 100? And does anyone else own a matched set from 1 to 100?

thank you,

Marc

excellent review of a wonderful pen, nice pictures. thanks for sharing.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

• 1 year later...

The WE Collodi is one of the most beautiful pen in the WE collection. I have one... But yet to ink it