Parker Penman Sapphire

jgrasty

Thanks to paperskater, I received a sample of Parker Penman Sapphire to see what all the fuss is about on this now discontinued ink. And, indeed, there's a lot to fuss about, as this ink is truly wonderful. This sample was created by paperskater from dried ink cartridges using distilled water.

The ink is a pure, dark blue, no hint at all of purple or green tints that influence the color of blue inks. The ink itself is smooth and lubricating, flowing easily from all of my pens I tested. There is some minimal shading; the scan tends to enhance the shading just a bit. There is no feathering or bleed through on the Rhodia No 19 DotPad paper. The ink is highly saturated, though not to the extent of a modern ink like Private Reserve. The ink is not too wet or too dry. I didn't test if the ink is water resistant or not.

The first writing sample is using a Conklin Endura with an XXF flexible Toledo nib, and the ink really reveals itself with that nib. Shading is minimal but distinctive, showing the variation that the ink is capable of depending on how much ink is put down with the nib. This particular nib works best with inks on the drier side.

The second writing sample is a Pelikan M101N with a B nib converted to cursive italic. This nib is pretty wet, but some shading of this ink is present.

The third writing sample is a Pelikan M700 Toledo with a fat, wet BB nib. This nib puts down a juicy line, but there is some shading still present.

The final sample is from a Pelikan M800 with a XF nib. This nib is quite narrow for a Pelikan XF nib and tends to the drier side. Shading isn't easily visible with this nib.

I've included some samples of similar blue inks. The closest ink that I have is Private Reserve Electric DC Blue. The color of this ink is quite close to PP Sapphire, but Electric DC Blue is more saturated and also tends to display a red sheen with very wet nibs. None is present in this sample, though. Waterman Florida Blue and Diamine Sapphire are both a lighter shades of blue, Aurora Blue is both less saturated and also a lighter shade of blue. Noodler's Baystate Blue has just a tiny hint of purple, whereas J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir has a distinct purple tint to it. Diamine Midnight is darker and has some black or gray tint.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/parker-penman-sapphire.jpg

Tech note: I'm still learning to scan, but I'm getting better. The scanner is a Epson V600 using VueScan software. The scanner was calibrated using a Kodak Q-60 color target. White balance was done manually to achieve the best scan I could get. The scan was done with 48 bit RGB color at 1600 pixels/inch and down-converted with VueScan to 200 pixels/inch and converted to JPEG. I have a HP LP2475w monitor that is calibrated with an Xrite i1 color calibrator to 6500K white point with 2.2 gamma. This scan is pretty color accurate on my monitor if slightly less vibrant than real life.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• jgrasty

• WOBentley

• chas_k_inLA

I have a bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire ink. I think I have filled a pen with it once and then didn't use it again.

Will it be OK to use it as it has been stored for quite a long time?

I have a bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire ink. I think I have filled a pen with it once and then didn't use it again.

As long as there is no mold or bacteria growth in the ink, feel free to use and enjoy the ink.

@jgrasty

Thanks for the nice review!

Oh and your handwriting... :thumbup: beautiful!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

sorry...duplicate post

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

As long as there is no mold or bacteria growth in the ink, feel free to use and enjoy the ink.

Thank you jgrasty, and I enjoyed your review very much. How on earth do you do that fabulous calligraphy style handwriting? I'm envious :notworthy1:

• 2 months later...

Thanks to paperskater, I received a sample of Parker Penman Sapphire to see what all the fuss is about on this now discontinued ink. And, indeed, there's a lot to fuss about, as this ink is truly wonderful. This sample was created by paperskater from dried ink cartridges using distilled water.

The ink is a pure, dark blue, no hint at all of purple or green tints that influence the color of blue inks. The ink itself is smooth and lubricating, flowing easily from all of my pens I tested. There is some minimal shading; the scan tends to enhance the shading just a bit. There is no feathering or bleed through on the Rhodia No 19 DotPad paper. The ink is highly saturated, though not to the extent of a modern ink like Private Reserve. The ink is not too wet or too dry. I didn't test if the ink is water resistant or not.

The first writing sample is using a Conklin Endura with an XXF flexible Toledo nib, and the ink really reveals itself with that nib. Shading is minimal but distinctive, showing the variation that the ink is capable of depending on how much ink is put down with the nib. This particular nib works best with inks on the drier side.

The second writing sample is a Pelikan M101N with a B nib converted to cursive italic. This nib is pretty wet, but some shading of this ink is present.

The third writing sample is a Pelikan M700 Toledo with a fat, wet BB nib. This nib puts down a juicy line, but there is some shading still present.

The final sample is from a Pelikan M800 with a XF nib. This nib is quite narrow for a Pelikan XF nib and tends to the drier side. Shading isn't easily visible with this nib.

I've included some samples of similar blue inks. The closest ink that I have is Private Reserve Electric DC Blue. The color of this ink is quite close to PP Sapphire, but Electric DC Blue is more saturated and also tends to display a red sheen with very wet nibs. None is present in this sample, though. Waterman Florida Blue and Diamine Sapphire are both a lighter shades of blue, Aurora Blue is both less saturated and also a lighter shade of blue. Noodler's Baystate Blue has just a tiny hint of purple, whereas J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir has a distinct purple tint to it. Diamine Midnight is darker and has some black or gray tint.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/parker-penman-sapphire.jpg

Tech note: I'm still learning to scan, but I'm getting better. The scanner is a Epson V600 using VueScan software. The scanner was calibrated using a Kodak Q-60 color target. White balance was done manually to achieve the best scan I could get. The scan was done with 48 bit RGB color at 1600 pixels/inch and down-converted with VueScan to 200 pixels/inch and converted to JPEG. I have a HP LP2475w monitor that is calibrated with an Xrite i1 color calibrator to 6500K white point with 2.2 gamma. This scan is pretty color accurate on my monitor if slightly less vibrant than real life.

Your review is just...beautiful

Emilio Villegas

Hi,

Many thanks for the Review! :thumbup:

From what I can see on my monitor, plus your description, it seems that the reconstituted ink performs very much the same as that in the original bottles, neither of which has been ravaged by time.

Bye,

S1

= = =

Note: AFAIK our dear Member paperskater did not work from dry ink [powder], but from partially evaporated 'concentrated' liquid ink in original sealed cartridges, which was restored to original volume with distilled water then placed in irradiated sample vials.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

It looks like Private Reserve Electric DC Blue seems to be the nearest in colour and saturation to PP Sapphire

Looking at the swabs I'm thinking that it looks similar (possibly a bit lighter) than the swabs/early reviews of Diamine Sargasso Sea, which is supposed to be available next month.

Has anyone who actually got their hands on an advanced supply been able to do a comparison?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Note: AFAIK our dear Member paperskater did not work from dry ink [powder], but from partially evaporated 'concentrated' liquid ink in original sealed cartridges, which was restored to original volume with distilled water then placed in irradiated sample vials.

Sandy,

Thanks for the correction. :thumbup:

Edited by jgrasty

I have an old bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire that has partially dried - but no mold sign of decay. Is it worth trying to revive - say with distilled water - and any idea how I could avoid over diluting?

Thanks.

I have an old bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire that has partially dried - but no mold sign of decay. Is it worth trying to revive - say with distilled water - and any idea how I could avoid over diluting?

Thanks.

I would say yes. If it was a full bottle before it dried, then you should be able to fill it back up to the full level. I believe that's what happened with the cartridges. If it was partially full then it becomes more tricky. It's probably a guess.

I'm unsure why a full bottle might have dried. Maybe the cap wasn't on tightly enough or it wasn't kept in an ideal place. Cool & dark

Edited by Chrissy

Thank you! On a more careful look, I wonder if there is just a lot of caking around the neck of the bottle with the liquid ink still pretty much as original. The bottle was only partly full when put in the back of a cabinet some years ago, and it appeared tightly sealed. I'm thinking I'll try it as is and add a few drops of distilled water if it does not flow well.

• 1 year later...

Nice review!! Looking (almost desperately) for bottled ink on the oriental coast of Sicily, I found a bottle of this ink (the small store also has some brown). I didn't know it was discontinued for so long, I hope the ink is still good!! From what I read here, I can't wait to try it! :-P

One hour later. Now I do have regrets if that ink is discontinued... I don't remember a blue so pure! I love Sailor Jentle blue, but it does have purple hue. This is just... blue, with a nice shading. Using a steel M Lamy 27/99 nib with my daily writer and workhorse pen, Lamy 2000 steel, and I am loving it. Looking forward to go back to write tomorrow!!

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Nice review, particularly for the comparisson with other inks. However on my monitor, the colour comes up paler and less vibrant than what I see in the flesh when I write with my Penman Sapphire sample. I attach a pic which also compares the ink with what to me is its closer substitute: Private Reserve American Blue. In fact I prefer American Blue.

fpn_1393778860__la_foto_2.jpg

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu