How Much Sun Can My Ink Take

amberleadavis

What I decided to do

I wanted to know how resistant to Las Vegas Light my ink is.

The Inks I used

I grabbed out all the bottled ink I have here at the office. I have already given away my Private Reserve Ink and I had given away all the Noodler's Eel Inks. I photographed all the bottles. I'll put those photos up another time.

Creating the Sample Sheets

I used new Q-Tip each time to leave a swath of ink. The first line has ink placed on it multiple times. The next line should be just one. Then I did a few others. I used the Q-Tip to write the name of the ink. Then, I dipped a clean Online calligraphy pen and dipped it into the bottle. I used the pen to write a few more lines on the Sample Sheets and I wrote the name of the ink using the pen. Here is a link to my descriptions and the colors.

The Mash Up Sheets

I took the still wet Q-Tip and doodled on another sheet of paper. I also used up whatever ink was left on the pen. Then, I cleaned the pen for the next ink. I scanned all the sheets - See the Pages before Washing

Washing the sheets

After I had created all of the Sample Sheets and Mash Up Sheets, I took a clean Q-Tip and dipped it in water. Then I ran the wet Q-Tip over one of the prior single swabs. I used a sort of scrubbing motion. I would wet the other end of the Q-Tip and do the same with one of the samples from the pen. I rescanned the sheets - See Ready to Cut.

The Cut Sheets - Before Entering the Sun

Finally I cut the pages in half. I will place these in the sun tomorrow. I will send you pictures.

The Inks In my Sample

Bottled Ink

Purples and Blues

Baystate Blue

Kung Te-Cheng

Polar Blue

Sheaffer Skrip Ink Blue

Montblanc Midnight Blue

Visconti Blue

De Atramentis Lavender

Pilot Iroshizuku Moonlight (tsuki-yo)

Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher

Noodler's Bad Blue Heron

La Reine Mauve

Periwinkle

Burgundies, Reds, Pinks

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses

Noodler's Swishmix Burgundy

Dragon’s Napalm

Baystate Cran

Djinn of the Eternal Flame

Green

Noodler's Blue Nose Bear

Verdun Green - Swisher Pens

Polar Green

Noodler's GI Green

V-Mail

North African Violet

Mandalay Maroon

Rabaul Red

G.I. Green

Midway Blue

Black

Polar Black

Noodler's Heart of Darkness

Pelikan Black

Noodler's Bad Black Moccasin

Highlighters

Year of The Golden Pig

Dragon Cat Pink

Dragon Cat Orange

Dragon Cat Green

nvisible

Blue Ghost

ens or Highlighters that are Not Bottled Ink

Faber Castell Textliner (Refillable) 4-005401-548287

aber Castell Textliner (Refillable) 4-005401-548218

Sharpie (Click) Smear Guard Pink

Sharpie (Click) Smear Guard Red

Sharpie (Click) Smear Guard Green

Pentel S Line (Refillable)

Zebra 301 (Refillable)

Koh Noor solid pencil Progresso

Koh Noor Dry Marker Pink

Koh Noor Dry Marker Blue

Uniball Vision Elite

Papermate Profile 1.4 Ball Point

Foray (Two types, the first wouldn't write). Gel Ink

Uniball Jet Stream - Gel Ink

More of the Pens from my desk

Pilot V-5 Precise

Staedtler Magnum 1.6 (ball point)

Uniball Vision RT

Uniball Vision Fine

Papermate Write Bros.

Pilot Precise Bold (My favorite roller ball) Red

Pilot Precise Bold (My favorite roller ball) Touquoise

Pilot Precise Bold (My favorite roller ball) Green

Pilot Precise Bold (My favorite roller ball) Blue

Pilot Precise Bold (My favorite roller ball) Black

Sharpie Ultra Fine

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20322012_02_25_16_33_53.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20352012_02_25_16_34_04.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20362012_02_25_16_33_56.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20332012_02_25_16_33_58.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20342012_02_25_16_34_01.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20302012_02_25_16_33_48.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20292012_02_25_16_33_45.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20182012_02_25_16_32_51.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20192012_02_25_16_32_53.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/Think_Ink/images/_nb_mediaFrames/20202012_02_25_16_32_56.jpg

Edited by amberleadavis

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Uncle Red

• SamCapote

• Vshin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three days of Sunlight and WOW - some ink disappears.

Ballpoint ink becomes washable.

Here is the comprehensive site:

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/pages/21.html

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here they are after spending 3 days in the sun. Note how the Sharpie is GONE!!!

OOPs One of the Sheets was not originally included.

Baystate / Cape Cod Cranberry (not advertised as waterproof) changed color more than I expected. Baystate Blue lost some of that amazing cobalt color. Sharpie Smearguard highlighter disappeared all together in the short three days.

Did you see the fade tests being done by Jamie Grossman?

http://hudsonvalleysketches.blogspot.com/2012/01/noodlers-eternal-inks-lightfast-testing.html

You're getting similar results.

Yes, I've been following her results and they inspired me to try some of my own. I'm waiting to see if LRM changes color. :) Of course, she's 6+ weeks in and I had to look at mine after just 1/2 a week.

I think some of us would have appreciated your test more if you did not alternate exposure to sunlight with washing. I am interested in your fading experiment in sunlight but have less interest in the response to washing which significantly complicates the experiment since any fading seen can be as much from the wash as the sunlight fading the ink.

Maybe you could have run duplicate (or triplicate) sheets one of which would have received the exposure to sunlight treatment only while the other gets both ( possibly with the third kept indoors and protected).

I think some of us would have appreciated your test more if you did not alternate exposure to sunlight with washing. I am interested in your fading experiment in sunlight but have less interest in the response to washing which significantly complicates the experiment since any fading seen can be as much from the wash as the sunlight fading the ink.

Maybe you could have run duplicate (or triplicate) sheets one of which would have received the exposure to sunlight treatment only while the other gets both ( possibly with the third kept indoors and protected).

Haziz, we seem to have a miscommunication, I didn't wash the entire sheet - I applied water to only small portions. Each ink was used for multiple doodles - at least five. Then only two of the five doodles were "washed". Thus, you are seeing the effects of the fading.

If you want to look at the comparisons, go look a the enlargements at my website. http://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/pages/21.html

For example, BSB didn't "fade" in three days so much as it changed color - sort of lost the vibrance. The image with the 2 lines is after three days in the sun and the image with three lines is the fresh (untouched by water or light) image.

Edited by amberleadavis

1 week in the Sun

Greens

Highlighters are more prone to fading. - 1 week in the sun.

1 week in the sun and black holds strong.

Bay State Blue is still my favorite. 1 week in the sun and it is sort of a Navy. KTC is SUPER resilient.

Noodler's Highlighter ink stays put and Ghost Blue still shows up in black light after a week in the sun.

I expected more from the Mont Blanc Midnight Blue. One week of sun (and it rained for two days) - and MB is fading quickly.

1 week of light (including two days of rain) and Periwinkle is changing colors.

I still love Dragon's Napalm. One week of exposure and Cape Cod Cranberry is a different color.

Vmail Inks are not really waterproof, but other than NAV, the Vmail inks do hold color after a week in the Nevada light.

Edited by amberleadavis

The Koh Noor dry highlighters are not holding up to sun after a week in the window the colors are rubbing off.