Rohrer & Klingner - Alt-Goldgrün

spot

Here's my attempt to review Rohrer & Klingner - Alt-Goldgrün.

I can't guarantee the color accuracy of the scanned images.

They might be off and are unedited.

http://i41.tinypic.com/6hrvo8.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/xqawm0.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/123xutw.jpg

"To remember what needs to be remembered is the secret of success" Nisargadatta Maharaj

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tylchick

• Bo Bo Olson

• spot

• Cake

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On my monitor, your very nice review shows in the same color that I see when I use this ink on white paper. I'm one of those who likes lighter colors in the spring, so I tried it and put it up until then. The shading on this ink really is fabulous.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Great review!

I just picked up a bottle of this myself, and love it. You're dry times seem a little quicker than mine, maybe it's just that I am using a more repellant paper.

I agree this is a lovely shading ink. I'm currently using it in my pilot custom 74 and like the combo. Although I find it feathers something awful on a lot of lower quality paper.

Very very nice review. You captured the important aspects of this exquisite ink, and show them accurately. Thanks for your time and making this available.

Love it! :bunny01:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Very very nice review. You captured the important aspects of this exquisite ink, and show them accurately. Thanks for your time and making this available.

+1

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

I also think your scans are accurate, and the description as well -- light shining through seaweed is what came to my mind when I tried out Alt-Goldgrün.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

+4. Especially the quality of your photos and scans. On my monitor this ink look just like that which comes out of my own 51 (same mauve, BTW)

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

+4. Especially the quality of your photos and scans. On my monitor this ink look just like that which comes out of my own 51 (same mauve, BTW)

Mike

+5 Excellent work!

Thanks!

I've also noticed significant feathering on cheaper papers when the ink is used with broad nibs. I haven't used it in any other pens except the one above, so I can't make any definitive statement about its overall behaviour in various pens. It does bleed through, mainly because the ink is very 'watery' without being extremely wet. One must consider its long dry time on most papers, especially writing with wider nibs. 10 seconds seems to be the average time in my case for it to 'fully' dry, but longer drying times are no exceptions.

But to balance the above 'bad' properties:

Wonderfull shadings! Without effort one can see the shades between yellow/gold/green. You can also play and increase the color contrast by lifting the nib more often while writing; where the nib is lifted up, that's where the most ink is deposited for more shadings.

If you rather like a lighter color (yellow/gold), then better not to lift the nib and just continue writing. This effect is best noticed in my "further notes/observations' section above (The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog). As you can see, continuous cursive handwriting prevents darker tones to appear, as opposed to my block letters where the darker tones dominate more frequently.

"To remember what needs to be remembered is the secret of success" Nisargadatta Maharaj

Bleeding does depend on the paper with this ink.

I got this thank you note from Mr. Yoshino when I ordered one of this notebooks from Japan. He uses a brand of paper called Tomroe River.

I then did my own writing with an even wetter Pelikan M1000 OBBB nib here. Despite this almost onion skin/Bible pages type of very thin paper, it does not bleed through it.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Great review and pics.

I really like this ink. I do notice that the color changes significantly depending on which pen I use.

I write with primarily F or M nibs. They display no feathering on my copy paper at work (20 lb).

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the awesome review! You've convinced me to purchase the ink. By the way, would you be so kind as to tell me where you got the "ink sampler and review" sheet?

Edited by mikhasan

Hello Mikhasan.

There are a few forms in the pinned section Ink Forms.

The forms are for us normal folks doing a quick peek.

If you look in the ink reviews section for a great number of inks, you can find threads posted by Sandy1. If she were in Japan, she'd be already on the Japanese National Treasure list.

She uses 4-5 normal pen/nib and 5-6 different 'normal' papers to show just how much paper and nib width make on how an ink looks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the nice review that helps me to choose this ink. Like the other fellow FPNers have remarked, your scan is very accurate. I tried the ink on an 1.1mm nib and the shading is just GORGEOUS. The color really lives up to the description, a golden green which is somehow nostalgic. It immediately becomes my favorite ink! :wub:

I tried it on some photocopying paper, still with the 1.1mm nib. There's no feathering but the shading is not pronounced.

Paper: MUJI (Cream) Pen: Lamy Safari 1.1mm stub nib

post-104458-0-65798600-1383221033_thumb.jpg

Tracy

Spot the OP, did bring up an important point, printing gives more and deeper shading....to this 'light' seaweed ink.

It is very hard to find a good discription of it, and I'd never thought of seaweed.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.