Looking For Small Paper And Envelopes

robynsnest

I don't really know what I'm asking for since I'm new to this and don't know brands and such. I would like to find some quality notepaper and envelopes in a small size. By small I mean like the letter and envelope paper they use in Masterpiece Classic Downton Abby. If you haven't seen the show it is set in the early 20th century - maybe that will help place what I'm looking for. It seems what they're using is about 3" x 4" for the envelope and maybe 3" x 9" for the paper (it's tri folded in the envelopes). I'm guessing on sizes based on what I've seen. Perhaps these are standard sizes that I'm unaware of but if anyone can help I would much appreciate it.

I ordered an Eleanor Winters learning Copperplate kit and would love to have some of this stationery once I learn the writing technique.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robynsnest

• ehoh

• jbb

• arcaneradio

If you can't find the size you're looking, you can have any paper custom cut at most print shops. As for the envolpes, you could make your own with a template if they are not availble. Which episode of Downton Abbey did you see it in?

Here's a chart of envelope sizes:

http://www.leaderpaper.com/info/size_chart.php

Edited by jbb

I have seen these in almost every episode but they show one in a letter box in the opening credits and Lady Edith used one when writing to the Turkish Embassy about Kamal Pamuk (sp?).

Ah, one of my favorite subjects--letter paper! First, I should tell you that the smallest mailable envelopes in the US are 3.5 x 5" (that's a USPS regulation). The smallest mailable size is called 4 bar in the US. If you don't need to mail your letters, though, that's a different matter...

Perhaps you are referring to this letter? Though it is difficult to ascertain the size from the photo, alas.

I'm a huge stationery collector and paper lover. Much of the great stationery these days is made in Europe, and the smaller size tends to be A5. A5 stationery (5.8 x 8.3") is usually folded in half, however, to fit into a C6 envelope (4.5 x 6.4"). Some of the nicer brands are G. Lalo, Original Crown Mill, and Clairefontaine Triomphe. You can try doing a search online to see if any of these appeal to you. The first two brands come in different colors and A5 or A4 sizes (similar to US letter paper-size). They have a nice laid texture, too. The last one comes in white only but is very nice to write on with a fountain pen. Crane, made in the US, also sells nice letter papers and smallish folded notes.

I have seen two types of stationery that tri-fold to fit into envelopes (though there are probably more out there). The first is A4 or letter size, which tends to be tri-folded to fit into business-size envelopes. The second is vintage paper. I've seen some letter sheets measuring 6.25 x 8.5" and envelopes measuring 3.6 x 6.5". The sheets fold nicely into thirds before slipping into rectangular envelopes.

Perhaps you are referring to this letter? Though it is difficult to ascertain the size from the photo, alas.

thank you for the information and yes that is the letter I am referring to. If you're seen any if the episodes you will see these small letters throughout. They may very well be too small to mail with today's postal regulations but that has okay by me. I would just like to find a source for them

According to the USPS a first class letter must be at least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long. I have invitation/announcement envelopes that are that size.

http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/mailcharacteristics/letters.htm

http://moniqueblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/dowton-abbey-5-letter.jpg

Edited by jbb

In case anyone is interested, here is a montage on YouTube of

I get it, now that I've seen the video. You want vintage-size stationery. Here is some lovely vintage stationery that would have been perfect for you, if it hadn't been sold earlier.

There is some 4.25" x 3.5" small red stationery being offered on Etsy right now. Here is a pretty white version measuring 4 1/2" X 3 1/8". Here is a kid's version. Ebay often has vintage stationery being offered by people who stumble across old sets of it. In fact, there's a 1928 set being offered right now. It's not a small set, but it's quite pretty.

If you are not interested in the vintage stuff, though, I cannot think of a modern-day stationer that sells stationery sets in this size now that it is not mailable.

Thank you. I had not thought of looking for vintage. I will keep an eye out for this. If anyone knows a dealer please let me know. Thank you all for your help.

• 11 months later...

The clip neglects to show the scene where John Bates and the new Mrs Bates (Anna) both receive a stack of mail from each other that makes them happy. Granted that isn't till Season 3.

Yeah, ok, I watch the show and I love it. :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by arcaneradio

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

The clip neglects to show the scene where John Bates and the new Mrs Bates (Anna) both receive a stack of mail from each other that makes them happy. Granted that isn't till Season 3.

Yeah, ok, I watch the show and I love it. :embarrassed_smile:

Please let us know if you find a montage that includes that scene. I loved watching it, as it was very touching. But you're right, that's season 3 and this clip was made last year, before season 3 had even come out.