Noodler's Apache Sunset & Diamine Amber

ever onward

Hello.

Recently Ink Mixer asked if I had compared Noodler's Apache Sunset to Diamine Amber in my Montegrappa Symphony--and coincidentally I had a sample of Amber waiting to be used. So here are a few pics. Some aren't lit well enough...I'm sorry; I take terrible photographs. But I think you can get the idea.

Top to bottom, the photos show

-Apache on a white Rhodia 16 pad,

-Amber on the white Rhodia 16 pad,

-Apache & Amber on cream Quo Vadis journal paper,

-a close-up of Apache & Amber on the cream Quo Vadis journal paper,

-a close-up of Apache & Amber on the white Rhodia 16 pad,

-a comparison of Amber on Quo Vadis & white Rhodia, and

-a comparison of Apache Sunset on Quo Vadis & white Rhodia.

FYI. :)

best,

-eo

post-74623-0-44598600-1329762775.jpg

post-74623-0-56616300-1329762808.jpg

post-74623-0-50766400-1329762857.jpg

post-74623-0-75924100-1329762887.jpg

post-74623-0-08999200-1329762918.jpg

post-74623-0-09860800-1329762935.jpg

post-74623-0-83396000-1329762941.jpg

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ever onward

• PelikansPlus

• KCat

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you very much.

I'd plans to buy Apache Sunset when I go to the States in April.

Diamine Amber moves up to my defiantly maybe list. It has more get up and go than I expected.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Absolutely gorgeous.

And I'll let folks here take a quick look before I have to move it to Scans, Comparisons, etc.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks. Both shots are gorgeous. I've been putting off Apache Sunset, but I guess I need to take the plunge. And for Diamine Amber, I wouldn't recommend it in anything smaller than a B nib. The Symphony nib also seems really nice.

Hi, everyone!

Bo Bo--I know you have a variety of nib sizes, and that will serve you well with D. Amber because, as Ink Mixer said, it does do best in a broader nib. The one on my Montgrappa is actually a fine, but of course it flexes, so that makes the difference.

And Ink Mixer--definitely take the pluge with Apache Sunset. It's so beautiful. I've tried it also in a Gold Bond Stonite Ringtop with a little flex and a Visconti van Gogh thick fine (w/ no flex). It looked great in all of them--but of course the flex is where AS really shines.

Sorry, KCat. :) I haven't hung out in Reviews and so didn't know it's the spot for ink comparisons. Oops.

best,

eo

Thanks for a great review! I just tried my Apache Sunset last night - while it shaded beautifully, it was much lighter than I had anticipated. Of course, I will experiment with other pens and papers to try for darker, richer color. I also have PR Shoreline Gold, which is lighter yet. I really like these colors, though, and I will continue to work with them.

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.  ~Lord Byron

Thanks for a great review! I just tried my Apache Sunset last night - while it shaded beautifully, it was much lighter than I had anticipated. Of course, I will experiment with other pens and papers to try for darker, richer color. I also have PR Shoreline Gold, which is lighter yet. I really like these colors, though, and I will continue to work with them.

Hi! If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest Private Reserve's Orange Crush. I found my sample to be like Apache Sunset but darker--without the yellow tone, and going deeper on the oranges and reds.

best

eo

I've become a fan of Apache Sunset in flex nib pens. Shades beautifully. Although it is not as saturated as many inks, the color contrast against most papers make it very legible. Seems rather well behaved in general.

Ever Onward, what a wonderful hand you have. Serious envy here.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

Oh, thank you, Belles-lettres. You're very kind.

:)

-eo

Hi! If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest Private Reserve's Orange Crush. I found my sample to be like Apache Sunset but darker--without the yellow tone, and going deeper on the oranges and reds.

best

eo

No, I haven't tried Orange Crush yet, although I have read many positive comments about it. I will be ordering some ink samples from Goulet soon - that will be among them. And +2 other comments above about your marvelous writing - it's just beautiful! Thanks again for the tip. :rolleyes:

P+

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.  ~Lord Byron

Wow!!! No wonder people are always talking about Apache Sunset! Don't know where I'd use it, but I may need some too :)

Tamara

I feel as if I gave Apache Sunset short shrift: the close-ups of Amber are closer up. So here's one more pic to even things out.

-eo

post-74623-0-76897500-1329888637.jpg

Apache Orange was already on my list of inks to try; this review has clinched my decision to at least get a sample of it. As a Denver Broncos fan :embarrassed_smile: I might have to check into Orange Crush as well. lol

Holly