#61 1984Drew

1984Drew

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 14:05

AngelofMusic - If I had a time machine, it'd be a Delorean...and it would be AWESOME! :) 1.21 GIGAWATTS!!

MeleeMaker - I REALLY want a Maki-e right now as well. Brian's macro photos on our website really show how intricately gorgeous those pens are. Ugh...now I have to go look at one...again. I was really close to finally buying a Lamy 2000, but then those Maki-e pens showed up.
Drew C. Brown
Shipping Manager - The Goulet Pen Company

#62 MrsGouletPens

MrsGouletPens

The Goulet Pen Company

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 16:07

goulet should have a sub-forum!!!

Oh, actually we do! We share the Lamy sub-forum :roflmho:

GPCsticker.jpg InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Ink Nouveau

#63 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 16:26

In the unwrapping without cutting anything competition, a new personal best of 3 minutes 57 seconds to get into my 3 bottles of Iroshizuku :eureka: I only had to use my teeth twice to hold a corner of the blue wrap! :embarrassed_smile:

Larger orders take MUCH longer to unwrap. :bunny01: :rolleyes:

I had gotten an order nearly a month ago with some nice ink samples and I too was excited. Apparently a little too excited. I ended up taking a butter knife and stabbing myself in the chest as I was trying to get through the industrial packing job. A nice 1 inch tear in my jacket but no injury. Feel like a total dumba$$. :doh:

Lesson learned put all your stuff down, wear protective clothing, or maybe just learn to use the knife properly and slice away from the body. :roflmho:

#64 P.A.R.

P.A.R.

Eagle Scout studying Mechanical Engineering

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 16:44

In the unwrapping without cutting anything competition, a new personal best of 3 minutes 57 seconds to get into my 3 bottles of Iroshizuku :eureka: I only had to use my teeth twice to hold a corner of the blue wrap! :embarrassed_smile:

Larger orders take MUCH longer to unwrap. :bunny01: :rolleyes:

I had gotten an order nearly a month ago with some nice ink samples and I too was excited. Apparently a little too excited. I ended up taking a butter knife and stabbing myself in the chest as I was trying to get through the industrial packing job. A nice 1 inch tear in my jacket but no injury. Feel like a total dumba$$. :doh:

Lesson learned put all your stuff down, wear protective clothing, or maybe just learn to use the knife properly and slice away from the body. :roflmho:

Good thing you weren't using a steak knife :yikes:

That's rule #1 in just about all the boy scout merit badges that have anything to do with blades: cut away from yourself. #2 (perhaps) is use a sharp knife, so you're less likely to slip and cut yourself

(I find #2 to be a good analogy for discouraging the use of profanity :thumbup:)

Edited by P.A.R., 22 February 2012 - 16:45.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.
Posted Image
Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

#65 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 16:58

]

Good thing you weren't using a steak knife :yikes:

That's rule #1 in just about all the boy scout merit badges that have anything to do with blades: cut away from yourself. #2 (perhaps) is use a sharp knife, so you're less likely to slip and cut yourself

(I find #2 to be a good analogy for discouraging the use of profanity :thumbup:)

Yeah, I got another order a week later. I used a sharper knife and sliced away from the body.

I was in the Boy Scouts for two years and I think I didn't get that badge. ;)

#66 1984Drew

1984Drew

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 17:00

When I have to open our packages that end up being returned to us(undeliverable as addressed, etc.), I utilize the in-house Samurai that the GPC employs for just such occasions. Since the fall of the Samurai, they're really being hit hard in today's job market. I highly recommend getting one. He's a bit moody, but I tell him that opening Goulet packages lies within the code of Bushido - so he doesn't argue.

Just kidding. No Samurai here. If Brian and Rachel DID want one, I'd be the first to volunteer, anyway. :)

Edited by 1984Drew, 22 February 2012 - 17:01.

Drew C. Brown

#67 mikefromsac

mikefromsac

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 17:09

I think Alex Caporale also deserves a shout-out. I've ordered 7-8 times from Goulet and she always writes a nice hand-written note on my invoices (signed Alex-N-Cap). She always uses a different ink and because of her, I tried Diamine and now have six bottles (and couldn't be happier with the brand). She's also answered personal emails about pens, etc. - very helpful.

Anybody who hasn't tried Goulet really needs to see what customer service is all about. Good job!

#68 Kaen

Kaen

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 18:26

Ordered from Goulet for the first time this last week, even before I noticed this thread. I didn't order anything of note, just some ink samples for my new Diamond 540. Wish I could have gotten the 540 from them as well, but they were out at the time. I will be ordering all my future supplies from them after seeing the service level they provided for even small orders like mine.

#69 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 19:48

goulet should have a sub-forum!!!

Oh, actually we do! We share the Lamy sub-forum :roflmho:

oh no, i beg to differ, u r in a league of your own!!! :thumbup:
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#70 Meleemaker

Meleemaker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:48

As for the cutting away from yourself...that is 100% true, as being for a merit badge, False. You are thinking of the "totin' chip". It has all the safety of the knife/ax/saw tools. Very similar to the Firem'n Chit, except for fire starting :) I got my eagle back in 2010(january 4th, 4 days after 100th anniversary :o)

My recent unwrapping without a sharp was very quick, yet frustrating. once you get it rolling in the right direction, you can go almost all the way to the product, as long as you can get the initial tape safely.

#71 P.A.R.

P.A.R.

Eagle Scout studying Mechanical Engineering

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 23:28

As for the cutting away from yourself...that is 100% true, as being for a merit badge, False. You are thinking of the "totin' chip". It has all the safety of the knife/ax/saw tools. Very similar to the Firem'n Chit, except for fire starting :) I got my eagle back in 2010(january 4th, 4 days after 100th anniversary :o)

Congrats! I just got my Eagle on the 6th! :highfive: (we need a smiley for that)

I taught the Leatherwork badge at Scheope Scout Reservation at Lost Valley for two summers. You're correct, most of the blade safety is from the totin' chip (which is somewhere in my wallet :rolleyes:). However, the Leatherwork badge does not require the totin' chip and as such addresses blade safety on its own.

Apparently I need to look for the tape on my Goulet package this Friday :roflmho:
Assume no affiliation to recommendations.
Posted Image
Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

#72 jrweaver

jrweaver

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:03

I got my first Goulet order in the mail today. Just a bottle of ink, but it felt special none the less. Got an autograph from Alex in Diamine Vermillion and my 2 year old daughter got some bubble wrap to pop!
J. Weaver

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

#73 EvilPhish

EvilPhish

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:03

Definitely add me to the list of Goulet fans.
I've only ordered a couple of pens and some ink and Rhodia stuff but they've always made me feel like I'm their most valued customer of all time.

#74 rakka

rakka

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:45

I'm very new to fountain pens, I had an interest in them about a year ago and got busy and forgot about it. But a month or so ago I saw a video by the Goulets on Youtube completely by accident and it's what got me back into it all. I've only ordered from them once this past week but I really like them and their staff, Drew helped me out with an order snafu prompter than anyone I've ever ordered from. I also love that they do a lot of work that doesn't make them money directly, like the ink blot videos. The videos themselves have been a tremendous help for me, who is a relative newbie, in learning a lot of things I may have not learned on my own about pens and pen care. And I know no other company in any field of products with useful tools like the swab shop and fun community centric programs like the monthly Ink Drop (which I've promptly signed up for because I love the idea). I'll definitely be shopping from them almost exclusively for most of my pen related needs.

I wish they had a store, especially up here in the DC area (which I think is about 4 hours away from them) I think if they opened a store it would do really well. There are two pen shops in the area I know of and one is just a mall shop that tries to sell you Mont Blancs, the other is a place that's been in business for about 100 years (I think they started in 1913) and they're nice but old fashioned. I'd gladly work nights and weekends for the Goulets if they ever wanted to open a store around here. ;)

Congrats! I just got my Eagle on the 6th! :highfive: (we need a smiley for that)

I taught the Leatherwork badge at Scheope Scout Reservation at Lost Valley for two summers. You're correct, most of the blade safety is from the totin' chip (which is somewhere in my wallet :rolleyes:). However, the Leatherwork badge does not require the totin' chip and as such addresses blade safety on its own.

Apparently I need to look for the tape on my Goulet package this Friday :roflmho:

Congrats on being Eagle, I got my Eagle rank in 2006 and it's a great honor that takes a lot of hard work. I've had a lot of managers or bosses who have told me that seeing Eagle Scout on my resume goes a long way for me, so it's definitely going to pay off in real life for you.

Regards,
Daniel

#75 MrsGouletPens

MrsGouletPens

The Goulet Pen Company

• Member - Gold

• 1,129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 15:45

I'm very new to fountain pens, I had an interest in them about a year ago and got busy and forgot about it. But a month or so ago I saw a video by the Goulets on Youtube completely by accident and it's what got me back into it all. I've only ordered from them once this past week but I really like them and their staff, Drew helped me out with an order snafu prompter than anyone I've ever ordered from. I also love that they do a lot of work that doesn't make them money directly, like the ink blot videos. The videos themselves have been a tremendous help for me, who is a relative newbie, in learning a lot of things I may have not learned on my own about pens and pen care. And I know no other company in any field of products with useful tools like the swab shop and fun community centric programs like the monthly Ink Drop (which I've promptly signed up for because I love the idea). I'll definitely be shopping from them almost exclusively for most of my pen related needs.

I wish they had a store, especially up here in the DC area (which I think is about 4 hours away from them) I think if they opened a store it would do really well. There are two pen shops in the area I know of and one is just a mall shop that tries to sell you Mont Blancs, the other is a place that's been in business for about 100 years (I think they started in 1913) and they're nice but old fashioned. I'd gladly work nights and weekends for the Goulets if they ever wanted to open a store around here. ;)

So glad to hear it! We try to put a lot of work into education, in addition to the customer service, prompt shipping, and competitive prices already mentioned in this thread. Things like the Swab Shop, Nib Nook, Ink Drop and ink samples, good pictures and videos on the site... all ways to help bridge the gap of not seeing products in person. We actually have a couple big projects underway, one of which is to bring a lot of our videos and articles into one easily reference-able source since the blog is kind of out of control... hoping to launch next week! This is all part of the value-add we try to bring. We may not always be the cheapest, but we try to be fair and hope everything else we do adds up to one great experience.

I doubt we'll ever have a physical retail store. While we are only 2 hours from DC, we're just not in a good area for it, and it would really take away from our core business of being online and accessible worldwide. I just don't see B&M stores as the future of shopping. But that's my opinion.

GPCsticker.jpg InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Ink Nouveau

#76 freddygirl

freddygirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:03

Oh how I wish executives and decision makers with my cable company and cell phone company could see all the posts about the phenomenal "Goulet Way" and adopt that philosophy for their own companies.

#77 diensthunds

diensthunds

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 21:17

I didn't ask for it on the order just so I set the record straight to start, but today I got my order from the Goulet's and I was as amazed at the receipt as I was at the packaging of the order. Both were outstanding but what blew me away on the invoice was my Batman! Drew inked me a quick capped crusader! Nothing fancy and I'm sure it only took him a few moments but very cool! As we have all come to experience I also got a very nice quick note from Alex N Cap. Posted Image

#78 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 21:47

Oh how I wish executives and decision makers with my cable company and cell phone company could see all the posts about the phenomenal "Goulet Way" and adopt that philosophy for their own companies.

+ 1 million
It would certainly save them money on the repeated customer service calls I'm forced to make. :gaah:

#79 1984Drew

1984Drew

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 22:01

I didn't ask for it on the order just so I set the record straight to start, but today I got my order from the Goulet's and I was as amazed at the receipt as I was at the packaging of the order. Both were outstanding but what blew me away on the invoice was my Batman! Drew inked me a quick capped crusader! Nothing fancy and I'm sure it only took him a few moments but very cool! As we have all come to experience I also got a very nice quick note from Alex N Cap.

I saw on this thread that you recently ordered - and based on your quote here saying something along the lines of,"Who wouldn't want a drawing of Batman?" I knew I needed to track down your order! Alex had already written a note, and it was on its way out, so I was only able to do a quickie.
Drew C. Brown

#80 Meleemaker

Meleemaker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 20:57

I also just want Goulet to know....the sticker you gave me....it ended up on my toolbox. That toolbox is really only used for aftermarket accessories. The fact that your sticker is right next to my GReddy and Recaro should make you feel pretty happy. Its also under the LEDGlow ;)

#81 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:11

Those lovely personalized notes and swabs on the invoice helped me conclude that Cosmos is WAY too pink for me. Yama-budo it is for the next order. Thanks, Alex! :notworthy1:

#82 hk237267

hk237267

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:48

After hearing all your amazing experiences, I just ordered something from the Goulets :)

#83 kuroba

kuroba

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 14:04

Woot, this is awesome! I was just about to check out my order when I stumbled upon this thread :P hope it's all right if I do a quick request (even though my order is small, is a rather long trip to Chile, right? :D)

#84 TDL

TDL

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:38

Tsuki-yo, ina-ho & shin-ryoku. You hadn't tempted me yet with the sample of the Dark Chestnut, so now I have to spend again. :headsmack:

What do you think of the Tsuki-yo? I was thinking about getting a sample of it, along with a sample of Ku-jaku.

Tsuki-yo is wonderful. It has quickly become my favourite after I had a sample from The Goulet's. I have just had to order a second bottle within 2 months as my wife is using it everyday as well.
The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

#85 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:38

I had a newspaper route as a kid growing up in Detroit in the 1950s. Newspaper boys (it was exclusively boys in those days) delivered each newspaper to the customer's door and placed it inside the screen door. Customers expected this kind of service, which was considered normal in those days.

These days, nobody expects or gives that kind of service anymore...except the Goulet Pen Company. I'm a repeat customer, and am impressed by everything about them: service, quality, and price.

#86 1984Drew

1984Drew

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2012 - 20:48

Woot, this is awesome! I was just about to check out my order when I stumbled upon this thread :P hope it's all right if I do a quick request (even though my order is small, is a rather long trip to Chile, right? :D)

I'm pretty sure I got your order before we shipped it!
Drew C. Brown

#87 Namru

Namru

Wet Cake

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:42

I say...

Posted Image

Ironically, Bruce Wayne as Green Lantern did actually suck all to hell.

#88 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• 926 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:58

Big fans in Canada too. Remind me of customer service of 20 years ago at my local stationery store. Way back in the good old days. Good on Goulet ! Top notch all the way.

#89 arthury

arthury

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2012 - 18:54

Yes, drawing gives it that personal touch.

But, if we did not ask for it, please focus on shipping it out fast and I think I will appreciate it more.

Also, would it be better to give us a choice to choose USPS FirstClass (+ DeliveryConfirmation) rather than making PriorityMail by default?

____
Art Y.

#90 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2012 - 19:30

I think Alex Caporale also deserves a shout-out. I've ordered 7-8 times from Goulet and she always writes a nice hand-written note on my invoices (signed Alex-N-Cap). She always uses a different ink and because of her, I tried Diamine and now have six bottles (and couldn't be happier with the brand). She's also answered personal emails about pens, etc. - very helpful.

Anybody who hasn't tried Goulet really needs to see what customer service is all about. Good job!

+1 on Alex! For the longest time I thought Alex was male. Until my nephew told me it looked like a "chick" wrote the thank you message at the bottom of my invoice. I laughed and told him it was a guy named Alex. His reply? "Well, it look like a chick wrote that. Maybe Alex is a chick." Turns out Alex is, indeed, a "chick." A very nice person, as well.

The Goulets should really provide snaps of their great staff so we don't go around saying stupid things! Happily, I am rather PC and would not, of my own volition, call a woman a chick. Please be advised I was quoting!
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain