Maximaaaaaaaaa...............

Malcy

This is a shorter than normal review because I would just be repeating much of what I said in the recent UK Duofold Junior review.

DSCF0074.jpg

The Duofold Maxima is the Big Daddy of the UK Duofold range and quite a large pen in all dimensions. It was introduced in 1958 at the same time that the Senior was discontinued. You can see a size comparison in the image below. Other than size, the different models are pretty much identical, with one exception.

DSCF0093.jpg

Top to bottom - Junior, Senior, Maxima.

With it's largely plastic construction, the Maxima is fairly light weighing in at 19g filled with ink. So it is not tiring to use for long periods. This is the largest of the family and it is 143mm long when capped, 165mm long posted. The diameter is 14mm. The Maxima is made from polystyrene which is quite robust, cracking doesn't seem to be an issue but it is soft enough to get fine surface scratches fairly easily but they polish out. The trim is gold plated and wear has not been an issue in the UK Duofolds that I have seen.

DSCF0075.jpg

The filler is much larger than the junior version, so should hold more ink which is just as well. The Maxima is fitted with a large 14K gold nib and is stamped '50'. The style exception from the rest of the UK Duofold range is that the nib is engraved with an arrow rather like the older Vacumatic nibs.

DSCF0076.jpg

The nib fitted to this pen is very broad (great!!), possibly B-BB but is very firm and has little line variation. It is a very smooth wet writer. These pens always start first time and are excellent day to day users because of this reliability.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/Pens/Maxima.jpg

So, value for money and all that. The Maxima is actively sought out and prices can be silly, especially for unusual (not M or F) nibs. ebay prices at the moment are commonly in the £70-£110 range and NOS examples reach as much as £180. I scooped this example up for £30. It wasn't labeled as a Maxima and set to end at a quiet time, so I don't think that anyone noticed. It is in great condition with little surface marking or brassing and has an uncommon nib. It should have sold for a lot more. So if you want a Maxima, and it is a desire worth having then be patient. I also should say don't overlook the others in the range as they really only differ in size and are hugely cheaper to buy.

This gets a 10/10 rating in every way. :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malcy

• Gojira

• Flounder

• The Royal Pen

Really lovely pen! And one I hadn't actually had on my radar, until now.

May I ask which inks are featured in your review? The light blue looks like Aqua Blue/ med. Blue from Diamine, the dark, maybe eclipse? Many thanks.

“You either suffer the pain of discipline or you suffer the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs in ounces while regret weighs in tons.”

Jim Rohn

Really lovely pen! And one I hadn't actually had on my radar, until now.

May I ask which inks are featured in your review? The light blue looks like Aqua Blue/ med. Blue from Diamine, the dark, maybe eclipse? Many thanks.

Thanks,

I think that you would like any of the line. The Senior is a little smaller but still large and commands much lower prices. It would be a good alternative to the Maxima.

The light blue is indeed Diamine Mediterranean blue, written with a Sheaffer Imperial factory stub. The dark blue is an accident. I thought that I had flushed the pen and put Lamy blue in but there must have still been the remains of ink in it which has made it darker, quite nice though. :)

A really nice pen with a great nib. Thanks for filling us in on these pens, I could never figure them out from the sales sites.

A really nice pen with a great nib. Thanks for filling us in on these pens, I could never figure them out from the sales sites.

+1 this looks like a great nib and you write well with it.

Hi,

Congratulations I think you won one of a few I nearly got round to bidding on, amazing the ones I bid on go for a fortune, the ones I don't go for less than I would have bid. I console myself by thinking that although the winning bid was low, the actual bid was higher than mine would have been.

Like you say patience is the key.

Lovely pen as are all the English Duofolds (the pen that got me started) hope you enjoy it and it's smaller brother.

Andy

Edited by andyk

Thanks for your great review! I love the detailing on the nib itself. Is the length the only difference between the models, or are they different diameters as well?

ps - my AF is still giving me little surprises, what I thought was a scratch on the back of the cap tassie turned out to be a tiny registration number of some kind!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Thanks for your great review! I love the detailing on the nib itself. Is the length the only difference between the models, or are they different diameters as well?

ps - my AF is still giving me little surprises, what I thought was a scratch on the back of the cap tassie turned out to be a tiny registration number of some kind!

They are different diameters as well. According to the parkerpens.net site they are:

Slimfold 11mm

Junior 12mm

Maxima 14mm

Though the difference feels more pronounced than that.

AFs are great too. :)

Was there any need to yell? You caught my attention, however :ph34r:

Beautiful pen, and you're handwriting is so free-flowing, it compliments your review ever-so-nicely. Thanks for the review!

trpofapprobal.png

Thanks for the great review. I have always discounted English Duofolds as being small to medium-sized pens. Boy, was I wrong.

I'm going to be cheeky and say this out: The last line you posted from Pride and Prejudice...dare I assume that having had good fortune (i.e. a lovely Duofold Maxima), you're now in want of a wife as well? cool.gif

a lifetime quality pen comparable to a vintage omega constellation :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time