De Atramentis Petrol

beurling

I bought a few De Atramentis Inks.

This review is for Petrol. The pen I used is a very wet writing Eversharp Skyline with a Semi Flex nibt. SO it writes a wet line and any hesitation puts down more ink.

I want you to bear this in mind whilst reading my review. I think in a more standard Fine or Medium writing some of the issues would dissappear.

My observations are that it is a lovely dark forest green with a hint of blue in the shading...like a green black but more vibrant..... It showed slight beleedthrough on the HP Laser Paper .the dry time was ok..between 5 and 7 seconds average. STrangely took longer to dry on the cheaper 80g pukka pad.

It is a very strong ink in this wet pen and there was significant showthrough and bleedthrough on the cheaper 80g Pukka pad.

There was definate feathering on the Pukka Pad and some slight feathering on the HP Paper...however I also tried this ink on Oxford Optix 90g pad and it behaved beautifully and impeccably with no bleed or showthrough to talk about and minimal feathering.

I love the colour and the flow was excellent and smooth as silk.if anything the flow was a little too good..this is a wet ink. I think in a dryer writing pen you could use it on most papers but with a wetter pen you need to choose your paper very carefully. I have to add in defence of the ink that the only ink that I have managed to write on most papers with my Skyline is Waterman Blue Black..and as we all know that is as far as inks go one of the very best behaved. I will have to revisit this when using a drier pen...unfortunately my preference is for fatter and wetter pens :)

The ink is not waterproof but it held up well under a wet finger test though i did not conduct a thourough water test.

I've been having trouble with my scanner but the scans give a relatively accurate representation..i haven't adjusted the scans at all.

the front and rear of the HP Laser Paper

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/scan.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/scan0001.jpg

The 80g Pukka Pad

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/ink0004.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/ink0005.jpg

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• beurling

• Bo Bo Olson

• meghan

Thanks! I've been waiting for this review. Especially the comparisons are good.

I like the colour itself, having once asked myself what they think that "petrol" as an ink would look like.

Interstingly, If one looks at De A and searches for "petrol", one get 5 inks. Some seem to be exactly the same in colour (this type of "teal"). Others state it as a gray-black, even steel blue.. As usual for De A, some are with special names like Haendel, Ford, Otto, Anderson... with or without a scent. What the heck... looks like a good colour an for that money, I'd get it (the "Petrol") and not the others which are more expensive with or without a scent. I mean, are you really into such a smell?

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I take it from the scans this is not a shading ink.

I have some DA inks that are well saturated. Royal Blue and Aubergine.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I kept waiting for a comment on the scent. I suppose it's a good thing this one is not a scented ink ;) Lovely color though.

Tamara

Thanks for doing the review, I was wondering about this color. Now I'll spend my money on something else DeA makes

Actually it shades quite well..doesn't seem to have come out in the scan....

both the De A inks i've tried seem to be fairly saturated inks...however I do like them.... I'm considering maybe retailing them at some point as nobody local to me ( NW England ) seems to sell them?

I love this "Petrol" Colour but will probably have to find something slightly drier to use in my Skyline as it is such a wet nib I can only get it to behave on Optix paper.

and Mike Lapis..I dunno why anybody would want to buy a scented ink either??? it baffles me actually...would this even be a consideration?? personally i don't care what it smells like as long as it writes nicely...

De Atramentis do have a large range and some "special editions" ... i would guess that some of the "special" inks are merely rebranded standard colours.

I noticed nobody had done a review of this ink so thought i would give it a go..idle curiosity drew me to it and i love the colour...

Got a bottle of Diamine Green/Black to try when I next run down a pen so I'll see how that compares...

My comparison inks are purely what is inked next to my desk...plus being generally basic colours that all of us know what they look like on paper it gives an idea of how accurate the scan is on your monitor so you can adjust it more satisfactoraly ( is that spelt right?? ) ... i'm actually quite pleased with the way the colour is represented on the scan though :)

glad you all like the review :)

Edited by beurling

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

• 1 month later...

I've been researching teals lately and ordered a bottle of Petrol. It's pretty close to Seattle Mariner's teal. As a relative noob (to FPs and to FPN) I haven't done an ink review before, but others may find it helpful if I post a comparison of the teals and related greens/blues I looked at. I'll try to find time to do that within the next few days.

Herb

I've been researching teals lately and ordered a bottle of Petrol. It's pretty close to Seattle Mariner's teal. As a relative noob (to FPs and to FPN) I haven't done an ink review before, but others may find it helpful if I post a comparison of the teals and related greens/blues I looked at. I'll try to find time to do that within the next few days.

Herb

I'm all for it. Hope you find the time!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 3 years later...

"petrol" is german for "teal", just in case anyone is/ was wondering... so the ink's name in english is simply "teal", nothing to do with cars or similar I'm afraid!