De Atramentis Aubergine

beurling

I bought a few De Atramentis Inks.

This review is for Aubergine. The pen I used is a double Broad Nibbed Italic Pilot. SO it writes a wet line and any hesitation puts down more ink.

I want you to bear this in mind whilst reading my review. I think in a more standard Fine or Medium writing some of the issues would dissappear.

My observations are that it is a lovely regal Dark Purple...it has a lovely shading effect. It showed slight beleedthrough on the HP Laser Paper but the dry time was excellent..between 3 and 5 seconds average.

It is a very strong ink in this wet pen and there was significant showthrough on the cheaper 80g Pukka pad.

There was definate feathering on the Pukka Pad and some slight feathering on the HP Paper...however I also tried this ink on Oxford Optix 90g pad and it behaved beautifully and impeccably with no bloeed or showthrough to talk about and minimal feathering.

I love the colour and the flow was excellent and smooth as silk. I think in a dryer writing pen you could use it on most papers but with a wetter pen you need to choose your paper very carefully.

The ink is not warterproof..I only conducted a wet finger test but it seemed to be fairly resistant to wiping.

I've been having trouble with my scanner but the scans give a relatively accurate representation..i haven't adjusted the scans at all.

Front and back scan of the HP 32lb Paper

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/ink.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/ink0001.jpg

now front and back on the 80g Pukka Pad

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/ink0002.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/ink0003.jpg

Edited by beurling

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• beurling

• Bo Bo Olson

• PaperDarts

I'll have to give it a try with a BB or OBB nib, in the thinner nibs I used on Oxford Optic were not near as purple. More the Eggplant.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a sample of this ink in a Waterman Phileas F nib and I loooove it. It's more of a purple than Damson, one of my favourite inks, but close in colour depending on the width of nib used. I find Damson "duskier" than the Aubergine. I am so tempted to get a bottle of the latter.

Thanks for your review.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Nice review One of my favourite aubergine inks. But as you say, the real 'aubergine colour' sure depensds a lot on the pen and nib.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Just to indicate that I love the heck out of such a colour, here are a few others which at least a wee tiny bit may come into considertion as something which makes me think of an aubergine (likely because I want to....)

Abraxas Aubergine

Bethge Aubergine

Caran d'Ache Storm

De Atramentis Aubergine

De Atramentis Blackberry

De Atramentis Giacomo Puccini

De Atramentis Ebony

Diamine Damson

Herbin Poussière

Iroshizuku Yama Budo

Montblanc Violet

Noodler's Nightshade

Private Reserve Ebony Purple

Noodler's Tulipe Noire

Private Reserve Burgundy Mist

Private Reserve Purple Mojo

Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

Sailor Kobe Purple Suma

Sheaffer, pre-Slovenia Burgundy

Yikes

Edited by lapis

Just to indicate that I love the heck out of such a colour, here are a few others which at least a wee tiny bit may come into considertion as something which makes me think of an aubergine (likely because I want to....)

Abraxas Aubergine

Bethge Aubergine

Caran d'Ache Storm

De Atramentis Aubergine

De Atramentis Blackberry

De Atramentis Giacomo Puccini

De Atramentis Ebony

Diamine Damson

Herbin Poussière

Iroshizuku Yama Budo

Montblanc Violet

Noodler's Nightshade

Private Reserve Ebony Purple

Private Reserve Tulipe Noire

Private Reserve Burgundy Mist

Private Reserve Purple Mojo

Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

Sailor Kobe Purple Suma

Sheaffer, pre-Slovenia Burgundy

Yikes

That's a big list of inks i intend to try...where did i leave my pocket money..doh

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

Okay, I was fiddling around too much again: Tulipe Noire is not a PR ink but a Noodler's FPN exclusive. Now corrected above.

Mike http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Yawn.png

• 3 years later...

Alongside De Atramentis' Aubergine there's also their Magic dragon Ink and Berlin Brandenburger Tor, all of which have the same colour. But the Magic dragon has the scent of -- as they say -- a "Dragon". I work it out as "creosote", freshly paved asphalt. For a lighter job (as in less intense, lighter, somewhat redder, but still similar), you might also want to try out Kaweco's Lavender.

Wrack!