• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fabienne

• dcpritch

• dizzymizzy

• dweit

I like this ink as well, even though I tire of reds and browns pretty quickly. My wife really liked the color, so I bought a bottle.

I noticed the similarity to Noodler's Antietam as well. After awhile it was clear to me that Antietam has a stronger red component. Depending on the circumstances (pen, paper, lighting), it was sometimes very hard to see that difference, however.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Hi Fabienne, thanks for your review. I think lively is the word. I found Ancient Copper rather busy as an everyday writing colour, but I didn't want to get rid of it and wasn't sure why. Now I realise it's because if I give it the space you get with a big Pilot Parallel nib, it comes into its own.

After using it for a few weeks, Ancient Copper is on my short list (that seems to be dominated by Diamine).

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Nice. Wonder what it would be like with a touch of Noodlers Black mixed in.

It would great if it shaded like BWAS. I'm kind of enamored of shading these days.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Not to make this topic drift too much but I was wondering if HOD was the all purpose shading magic elixir. Seems to have done wonders for BSINAV. Just saying.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Terrific review, Fabienne. Really shows off the color which Diamine nailed. I don't have this ink yet, but I'm going to remedy that soon.

That settles it! This ink is on my next order from Big G pens.

Great review and it shows the range / variety of subtleties this ink has.

- OPG4711

Nice review format! And well done review. I've been teetering on the brink but now guess I am compelled to call Mr & Mrs G for a bottle of Ancient Copper. Thanks.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

Fabulous review! I have been very curious about this color but I had not yet taken the leap to get it - now I will. My only fountain-pen-wielding colleague at work has been talking about this ink for awhile; I will urge him to read your review. I'm sure he will finally be sold on it. Cool color - cool penmanship, too! :rolleyes:

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.  ~Lord Byron

Thanks Fabienne, great review. Last evening I opened a box from Goulet and found a bottle of Ancient Copper, which I had forgotten I ordered. After seeing this review I feel compelled to immediately ink a pen with this. I think I'm going to try it in a Bexley Poseidon with a 1.3 mm stub nib. Can't wait!

Thanks again for the review.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

OK, I tried this ink and I LOVE IT!

My Bexley Poseidon puts down a pretty wet line, and so my ink looks a little more red than Fabienne's scan shown above. I had just put ink in the pen and was writing pretty fast as I have to race to a meeting, hence the minor railroading shown on a couple of letters. On my screen, the color in this image matches very closely with the color on paper. Scanned image from an Epson V600 Photo scanner:

fpn_1329236093__diamine_ancient_copper_2-14-12.jpg

— Samuel Johnson

This looks to my tired eyes much like Pelikan Brilliant Brown.

good point, I should do a comparison as I do have a Pel Bril Brown sample. I think AC is redder but I could be wrong. Let's find out!

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

This looks to my tired eyes much like Pelikan Brilliant Brown.

good point, I should do a comparison as I do have a Pel Bril Brown sample. I think AC is redder but I could be wrong. Let's find out!

You are right about AC being more red than Pelikan Brilliant Brown - I have some writing samples of each in hand and the tone of AC is much more red. If you have Sailor Red Brown (discontinued) and Diamine Oxblood, those might also be interesting comparisons. I can do that later today, with all four, if you don't have the inks or the time.

— Samuel Johnson

Here are the comparisons (this is way more fun than work, by the way). Clearly, I was wrong about Oxblood, it is too far toward burgundy tones. The Sailor Red Brown appears to be more orange, overall, and the Pelikan Brown is, well, more brown. In my opinion Ancient Copper is a fantastic color, seemingly right between Sailor Red Brown and Pelikan Brilliant Brown, and again I want to say thank you to Fabienne for this review - very well done!

fpn_1329246824__diamine_ancient_copper_comparison.jpg

Pens used:

1. Diamine Ancient Copper - Bexley Poseidon Magnum, 18k 1.3 mm stub nib
  2. Sailor Red Brown - Bexley 56, 18k 1.3 mm stub nib (a nice ink to match the terra-cotta color of this 56)
  3. Pelikan Brillian Brown #4001 - Bexley Americana, 18k 1.3 mm stub nib
  4. Diamine Oxblood - Pelikan M1000, 18C BB stub nib by Oxonian

fpn_1329246756__bexleys_and_pel_m1000.jpg

— Samuel Johnson