Omas 360

Deacon Blues

After attending yet another meeting where my FP's had too wide a nib for good note taking, I decided I needed at least an F or EF nib.

SO - went to my local B&M (wonderful people), and started to test dip. Tried the Visconti VanGogh in an F, very nice steel nib. Tried a few others.

THEN - the lovely salesperson looked at me and said, "Would you want to try and Omas 360 in an "F" nib? They usually are VERY Fine, and we are having them as a special - 40% off - and it's an 18k nib."

I said sure, why not, I'm there. She opened the box, put it in my hand dipped. The rest is history.

PRESENTATION

8/10

The box is nothing special. Classy label on the top, which I like, but the box itself is nothing special. The pen was nestled inside in a leather pouch. Instruction booklet underneath the cover.

I would have liked to have seen something a tad more elegant for such an expensive instrument.

FIT & FINISH

10/10

The pen itself is flawless. I was VERY nervous about the triangular shape, that it wouldn't 'work', but

I was certainly wrong. I bought the black one, and it is indeed a rich black. The curves are gentle and work very well. Pleasantly surprised.

It sits in the hand incredibly comfortably. The edges of the triangular barrel are not in the way at all, and allows the pen to rest in a writing position for me that is very, very natural. Places the nib just so, and it works.

NIB

10/10

18k, white. Very elegant looking, understated. It is a FINE, as I stated. I was looking for a FINE or EXTRA FINE to take notes with, and the FINE on this pen looks more like an EXTRA FINE. I compared it to the Omas Milford which they also had (multi-faceted)in FINE. The Milford FINE was significantly larger than the 360 FINE.

FILLING SYSTEM

9/10

Nothing special here, but it works. Cartridge/converter. The converter sat fine with no leaks and operated smoothly. Does the job, which is what I wanted.

PERFORMANCE

10/10

This is - as well as how easy it felt in the hand - is what sold me. It writes incredibly - I mean INCREDIBLY - smoothly right out of the box. No scratchiness, no 'grab'. Glides a delightfully fine line

over the paper. An effortless writer.

PRICE

10/10

At 40% off, I think it would be pretty hard to beat. I'm hearing that Omas may be having a price increase soon, so this timing was great for me.

OVERALL

10/10

I rate it so high based on how it writes and how easily it sits in the hand. This is a pen you could write for hours with and not get tired.

Granted the shape of this unique instrument might turn some people off (I was a bit taken back when she handed it to me). However, when it was dipped and handed to me, I got it.

It is an INCREDIBLY LIGHT pen for one that is so long. I think it posts longer than, say, a Pelikan M1000.

It is a LONG pen, but so light it is silly.

My camera isn't functioning too well these days, so I found a photo on the Web just to give everyone and idea. I'll post it.

post-78164-0-93208300-1328984354.jpg

Edited by Deacon Blues

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deacon Blues

• mongrelnomad

• alexander_k

• JLS1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been tempted by these, as my Omas Bologna is such a nice pen. These are understated, which I like. Their appeal is in how well they write :) Congrats!

Tamara

Thank you.

At first, I was a little put off by the look. Then I tried it.

Incredibly comfortable and writes like a dream, so it worked for me.

I have several old-style OMAS 360's, three of them with EF nibs. I don't have an F, but the EF is definetly a great nib for fast, fine writing. Two of those three are my favourite pens for taking notes. The third needs a thorough cleaning, and I'll probably pull it's EF nib and move it to one of my other 360's.

Edited by raging.dragon

I love Omas pens. Wonderful nibs, gorgeous designs. I warn you: it won't end there. Their celluloids are like crack cocaine...

Congrats...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Nice review. As you write, the 360 is a pen that makes you feel uncertain at first because of its shape. However, most 360s are excellent pens in all respects, including ergonomics. The only thing is that I have a strong preference for the old version, both aesthetically and with respect to filling (piston: it's evidently more appropriate to a pen of this size but also much more practical with the broad nibs I use).

I prefer the old 360, piston filled and better design as well

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

After attending yet another meeting where my FP's had too wide a nib for good note taking, I decided I needed at least an F or EF nib.

SO - went to my local B&M (wonderful people), and started to test dip. Tried the Visconti VanGogh in an F, very nice steel nib. Tried a few others.

THEN - the lovely salesperson looked at me and said, "Would you want to try and Omas 360 in an "F" nib? They usually are VERY Fine, and we are having them as a special - 40% off - and it's an 18k nib."

I said sure, why not, I'm there. She opened the box, put it in my hand dipped. The rest is history.

PRESENTATION

8/10

The box is nothing special. Classy label on the top, which I like, but the box itself is nothing special. The pen was nestled inside in a leather pouch. Instruction booklet underneath the cover.

I would have liked to have seen something a tad more elegant for such an expensive instrument.

FIT & FINISH

10/10B

The pen itself is flawless. I was VERY nervous about the triangular shape, that it wouldn't 'work', but

I was certainly wrong. I bought the black one, and it is indeed a rich black. The curves are gentle and work very well. Pleasantly surprised.

It sits in the hand incredibly comfortably. The edges of the triangular barrel are not in the way at all, and allows the pen to rest in a writing position for me that is very, very natural. Places the nib just so, and it works.

NIB

10/10

18k, white. Very elegant looking, understated. It is a FINE, as I stated. I was looking for a FINE or EXTRA FINE to take notes with, and the FINE on this pen looks more like an EXTRA FINE. I compared it to the Omas Milford which they also had (multi-faceted)in FINE. The Milford FINE was significantly larger than the 360 FINE.

FILLING SYSTEM

9/10

Nothing special here, but it works. Cartridge/converter. The converter sat fine with no leaks and operated smoothly. Does the job, which is what I wanted.

PERFORMANCE

10/10

This is - as well as how easy it felt in the hand - is what sold me. It writes incredibly - I mean INCREDIBLY - smoothly right out of the box. No scratchiness, no 'grab'. Glides a delightfully fine line

over the paper. An effortless writer.

PRICE

10/10

At 40% off, I think it would be pretty hard to beat. I'm hearing that Omas may be having a price increase soon, so this timing was great for me.

OVERALL

10/10

I rate it so high based on how it writes and how easily it sits in the hand. This is a pen you could write for hours with and not get tired.

Granted the shape of this unique instrument might turn some people off (I was a bit taken back when she handed it to me). However, when it was dipped and handed to me, I got it.

It is an INCREDIBLY LIGHT pen for one that is so long. I think it posts longer than, say, a Pelikan M1000.

It is a LONG pen, but so light it is silly.

My camera isn't functioning too well these days, so I found a photo on the Web just to give everyone and idea. I'll post it.