Diamine Majestic Blue

beurling

This is my first Ink Review so be nice :)

A little background. I have a Duofold Centennial that I use for journaling but it is a dry writer so I asked the esteemed residents of this board if there is a nice wet flowing ink that may help and this was suggested.

I have to say it worked a treat. In my dry writing pen it flows beautifully putting down a lovely strength line . It is a lovely deep blue with a hint of emerald about it. I like it it's not too in your face that it gets over the top but at the same time it is no introvert.

Performance wise it behaved beautifully on HP 32lb/120g laser paper and also worked well on my journalling paper..even performing on a standard 80g pukka pad! On the pukka pad it dried in 2 to 3 seconds..it took 6 to 7 on the much smoother and less soaky ( is that even a word? ) hp paper. The only paper i had trouble with was it showed a fair amount of bleed through on some random cheap as chips copy/inkjet paper my dad uses at his office.

It isn't waterproof but being a good strong blue i very much doubt it will fade easily.

I wouldn't recommend it for a wet writing pen..I have a wet writing eversharp skyline with a semi flex nib which puts down a very wet line using watermans blue black..i think this ink would be far too wet an ink for that pen...i detected slight feathering on the none hp paper so in my wet pen i could imagine it behaving totally differently..i haven't tested this though but in my dry writing Duofold it was brilliant and shall take its place as my ink of choice for that pen and my journalling.

I apologise for the poor quality of the pictures...my scanner has had a hissy fit and i'm afraid the pictures just don't convey the richness of the blue adequately...and my writing is a bit of a mess at the moment.

As an aside the parker washable blue and pelikan violet barely showed up on the HP paper..it seemed like a watery wash...which is interesting as the pen i use most with quink washable blue is the parker victory..i had to refill it after writing the word parker and it just turned into almost an invisible ink..very strange.,

Once again..i heartily recommend this ink to anybody with a dry writer..a great performer and a lovely rich blue colour.

Buzz

first the hp 32lb paper

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/P1000168.jpg

80g pukka pad a5 notepad ..note the washable blue quink and the pelikan violet much more as they should be..the pelikan violet is a particularly beautiful colour and very well behaved.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/P1000169.jpg

my dry writing baby in her glory :)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/P1000174.jpg

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beurling

• lovemy51

• matveik

• stevesurf

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it too.

When Majestic Blue was launched, FPN was full of raves about it. Recently it's had a lots of negative comments. Is this just the pendulum swinging or is it that something has changed about the ink?

Thanks, Buzz, for a great review and great ink choice! Majestic Blue is one of the first inks I used in my new Lamy Al-Star; as the ink runs down I reload it with the same color. I love this color! :rolleyes:

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.  ~Lord Byron

As I've said in other posts, I really like the colour of Majestic but it just never seemed to dry thoroughly for me; still smearing after some months and on different papers. But a great blue; I might give it another go and if I still have blue fingers, I can always use it specifically for letters. Then it becomes their problem!!

Great review and I like the comparisons.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Diluting Majestic Blue solves most problems, including the purple sheen (my personal irritation with this ink).

i haven't got a purple sheen with my ink...hmmm....i am still very pleased with it...it's exactly how i think a blue should be! though I still have Aurora Blue at the top of my list.

funnily enough my review has brought to life something else interesting..i was going to do a review of pelikan violet but shan't use the hp paper for it..it turned it really washed out like the quink washable blue...changed the ink form beautiful to a little urgh ( i am struggling to find the right word ) ...

I think the hp paper is almost too smooth in some ways....i may get a pack of something else to try now...fancy crown mill quite strongly. and i still really like the oxford optix 90g paper.

i will revisit with my findings as and when.. got a few De Atramentis inks on their way to review too..and hopefully next month Visconti Purple and maybe PR Tanzanite and then R&K.

SO far so good :)

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

i haven't got a purple sheen with my ink...hmmm....

I've noticed that the sheen only seems to show up when used in a wet pen. Using it in a drier pen/smaller nib really does change the effect.

well that explains it...my DUofold is a fairly dry straight down the middle medium writer..

This is my first Ink Review so be nice :)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/P1000168.jpg

80g pukka pad a5 notepad ..note the washable blue quink and the pelikan violet much more as they should be..the pelikan violet is a particularly beautiful colour and very well behaved.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/P1000169.jpg

Beautiful review: :thumbup:

I'm hoping you'll be able to change the white balance as I'm seeking inks to match my Jules Verne!

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I like it too.

When Majestic Blue was launched, FPN was full of raves about it. Recently it's had a lots of negative comments. Is this just the pendulum swinging or is it that something has changed about the ink?

hmmm, interesting comment. i guess i've been miising the Maj-Blu negative comments. i can't remember when i bought it, but it must have been a while back cos' i had it in my red P51 for a long time. never any issues!!!

i haven't got a purple sheen with my ink...hmmm....

I've noticed that the sheen only seems to show up when used in a wet pen. Using it in a drier pen/smaller nib really does change the effect.

this makes sense to me. my p51 is a bit dry writer -and small nib :embarrassed_smile: . no purple sheen here!!

I love the color but this ink has a habit of drying far too quickly in my Pilot Grance FG-1MR's EF nib. No other Diamine ink has had this problem in my Grances.

I'm a regular patron of The Barrel and the Nib. Pull up a stool, order a good ink, and make yourself at home.

i will try to get a better picture for you this week...also as a comparison i'll also get the scanner working so see which one works best :) Buzz

hello friends...finally got the scanner to sort of work...i'm not hugely happy with the colour balance but it's not too bad of a representation..see what you think.

Buzz

first HP 32lb / 120g Laser paper

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/majesticblueink.jpg

80g Pukka Pad...for some reason the pelikan black has a slight green tinge to it in this scan that isnt actually there in reality but the majestic isnt far off this colour.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/majesticblueink2.jpg