Kaigelu 366 Review

richardandtracy

Kaigelu 366 Review.

This is a very brief review of one of my wife's three Kaigelu 366 'Three Kings' Pens. I know exactly how much it cost, as it was one of seven Kaigelu pens I gave her for Christmas - however she may possibly read this review and I'm not telling!

The pen is one of three different varients of this pen, having one each of the three kings mentioned printed on the cap. The pens came with a small clear cellophane sleeve and a velveteen sleeve, so I modified a nice box to take and display all seven pens for her Christmas present.

The pen is an open nib pen with a painted metal cap & barrel and a plastic section. The decoration on the cap is printed in black over a white painted ground. The clip is formed into the shape of a bound bamboo scroll.

Initial Impressions.

On inital looking I was both surprised and fairly impressed. The black lacquering was beautifully done, without a blemish, and the gold highlights looked smart and attractive. The printing on the cap is very nicely done and the artwork is good too. I really didn't know how the design was to be done, so finding that it's printed was a surprise. The matte gold coloured clip looks interesting and very posh. On opening the cap, the pen still looks attractive with its moderately small nib (same as the one found in the Kaigelu 308) which looks in proportion to the rest of the pen. All-in-all, it looks very smart and understated.

The pen is as below:

Uncapped:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Kaigelu%20366/Kaigelu366Photo1.jpg

The cap looks as below:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Kaigelu%20366/Kaigelu366Photo2.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Kaigelu%20366/Kaigelu366Photo3.jpg

The nib & section look nice, as shown below.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Kaigelu%20366/Kaigelu366Photo4.jpg

The pen dimensions are:

• Length, Capped: 135mm (5.31")
    Length, Uncapped: 119mm (4.69")
    Length, Posted: 148.5mm (5.85")
    Barrel Diameter: 11.5mm (0.45")
    Weight: approx 35g

Construction

I think this is a mid range Kaigelu, so the plating is probably not as thick as that on the Kaigelu 316. The metal parts of the barrel and cap are lacquered, and the well moulded section is finished in a matte finish to stop fingers from slipping on the section. The convertor is identical to the one found in the Kaigelu 306. The pen it is well put together, there are no sharp edges and it is well designed. The clip is secure and there are no sharp edges. The cap lip is reinforced with a separate machining and the edge is well finished. I have a slight concern over the durability of the printing of the 'King' on the cap, but with care it should last for years.

While it isn't a top of the range pen, it feels well made and durable, with good design and all the parts are well finished, giving an admirably smooth surface.

Writing

I've not written with it inked, but the nib looks smooth and the tines well aligned under a loupe. The point is on the fine side of medium, not as fine as the Kaigelu 306, but not as wide as the medium on the Kaigelu 316. The nib itself is identical to that used in the Kaigelu 308.

The pen is well balanced whether posted or not. The size is perfect for my large hands trained to the size of the Parker 61 & 51. The weight isn't objectionable & the section shape & finish prevents your fingers sliding down to the nib. All round, it's comfortable & very well built. Should be suitable for quite a few hours of writing at a time.

Conclusion

This pen is yet another good Kaigelu. The more I see of the brand, the more I am impressed. Thus far, I've not seen a bad one.

I hope this is of interest,

Richard.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• StephY

• Dr Lopez

• Seele

Nice, thanks for the review. It is a nice looking pen. If we could only get the Chinese to use more acrylic and less brass I'd be happier.

Richard:

Interesting review, as always. I suppose it is politically tricky to sneak your wife's pen for a writing test.

It would be interesting to know what the significance of the three kings is: historical figures, fictional characters, symbols of some concept, or just random art. So many things, even graphics, don't cross cultural boundaries well.

ron

If we could only get the Chinese to use more acrylic and less brass I'd be happier.

You are complaining the Chinese should use more cheap plastic and less durable metals !?

If we could only get the Chinese to use more acrylic and less brass I'd be happier.

You are complaining the Chinese should use more cheap plastic and less durable metals !?

or some "precious resins" :roflmho:

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the review. A bit of background:

These three pens depict the (fictional) oath of fraternity (桃園結義) of three historic figures in the Shu Han period (circa 220-260). It is known that Liu Bei (the fellow in the pen above), Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei were great friends who treated each other like brothers, and in the historical novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" the author included a scene where the three took the oath in the Peach Blossom Garden in Zhang's house. The three are often invoked as symbols of loyalty.

I just purchased the three pens on eBay - really looking forward to them!

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

Steph,

In that case the collection should not be called the Three Kings then. The John Woo movies "Red Cliff" (parts one and two) were based on a part of that historical novel and these three characters featured in it.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

You're right! It really should be Three Brothers. The only one who was a "king" - historical or fictional - was Liu Bei. Guan Yu is revered by many and alters honoring him can be found in many homes and police stations. Speaking of movies, if I recall correctly the Hong Kong film "Inferno Affairs" (part 1, adapted as "The Departed" starring Leo Dicaprio) depicts both the police and the triads worshiping Guan Yu.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

• 11 months later...