Kaweco Calligraphy Set

dizzymizzy

Does anyone have experience with this set? Any opinions on the quality of the nibs and their smoothness/character?

Anyone know where I can find writing samples of the nibs?

Not much information on the forum about these Kaweco calligraphy nibs, or on the quality of the set as a whole apart from the generic adjectives (nice, solid, etc.).

---

Wanted: Waterman 52 1/2 V

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1point1mm

• dizzymizzy

• gentian

• wastelanded

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious to know if the nibs in this particular Kaweco set are also made in Germany? Is the body the same as the Kaweco Classic Sport?

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Just curious to know if the nibs in this particular Kaweco set are also made in Germany? Is the body the same as the Kaweco Classic Sport?

Yes, and yes. The only difference is that the accents on the pen are silver instead of gold, I suppose to match the color of calligraphy nibs. Otherwise it's the same body as the Classic Sport.

Cool.

Just curious to see if anyone not trying to sell the pen ( :roflmho: ) has any experience with the set/smoothness/nib.

---

Yes, and yes. The only difference is that the accents on the pen are silver instead of gold, I suppose to match the color of calligraphy nibs. Otherwise it's the same body as the Classic Sport.

Thank you and good to know about the trim specifics, since I much prefer Ag over Au. Now. . .

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Cool.

Just curious to see if anyone not trying to sell the pen ( :roflmho: ) has any experience with the set/smoothness/nib.

I bought one of these and use the pen with the 1.1 mm nib almost every day. The nib is every bit as smooth as a standard Kaweco Sport nib. I like that nib so much I have never even tried the other nibs in the set, to be honest. It is of course not as buttery as a vintage gold nib but it is as good as you would expect for a modern steel nib, using it as a daily writer I have never noticed any scratchiness on any paper. I use a syringe to refill the cartridges with different inks, and have never had a problem. It comes with blank ink that writes fine but I find it a little boring.

I bought one of these and use the pen with the 1.1 mm nib almost every day. The nib is every bit as smooth. . .as you would expect for a modern steel nib, using it as a daily writer I have never noticed any scratchiness on any paper.

That's good to know.

I have the set on order, and should be receiving it by the end of the week. I'll let you know after it gets here! :bunny01:

Received mine last week. For the size, it's "perfect" for what I'll use it for and built as intended. The nibs are very smooth! But I think I'll have to "upgrade" the body soon enough.

Enjoy!

Also, the box opening is ingenius!

Received mine last week. For the size, it's "perfect" for what I'll use it for and built as intended. The nibs are very smooth! But I think I'll have to "upgrade" the body soon enough.

Enjoy!

Also, the box opening is ingenius!

What do you mean you'll need to "'upgrade' the body"?? What's wrong with it?

---

I have the set on order, and should be receiving it by the end of the week. I'll let you know after it gets here! :bunny01:

Great. I can't wait to read it. I've been thinking about getting the set after my tax return arrives and would appreciate all the input. :)

---

What do you mean you'll need to "'upgrade' the body"?? What's wrong with it?

Nothing wrong with the Kaweco Calligraphy Pen itself. It's just that the body material, in this instance, is a tad bit blase for me. I'll start take some picture shots with a brief descript when I get home tonight.

Here's a photo briefing of the Kaweco Kalligrafie Set I got.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/KawecoKalligrafie.jpg

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/KawecoKalligrafie_ii.jpg

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/KawecoKalligrafie_iii.jpg

Four Germans

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/FourGermans_ii.jpg

Video (hope it works) of the Kaweco box opening.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/th_KawecoKalligrafieBoxOpening.jpg

I'll do an ultra mini review in another thread sometime.

Edited by 1point1mm

Wow. Very cool video of the box opening. Thanks for posting it. I'll look forward to your "ultra mini review" soon. :)

How does the pen feel in the hand? It looks quite small.

---

I love them, they are really nice:

With Private Reserve Black Cherry:

post-28655-0-65897600-1329887063.jpg

With J. Herbin Orange Indien. You can pull out the feed and nib and swap it into other Kaweco Sport bodies:

post-28655-0-59810400-1329887044.jpg

I converted both of mine to eyedroppers and they take well to the italic nibs.

I blogged about it last year when I first got it.

How does the pen feel in the hand? It looks quite small.

Feels like it belongs in a very comfortable way.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/KawecoInHand.jpg

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/KawecoWriteInHand.jpg

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/KawecoWriteInHandUncapped.jpg

That's just to simply show how it appears in my hand, not necessarily indicative of how I may hold the pen itself, but close enough.

I love them, they are really nice:

You can pull out the feed and nib and swap it into other Kaweco Sport bodies:

I blogged about it last year when I first got it.

One of the reasons I bought this set is because of the nibs and the compatibility of swapping with the other Kaweco Sport and AL Sport bodies. Cool blog about said pen. Nice going!

Edited by 1point1mm

Great video. I think the box is cool but I'd rather they used a cheaper box and cut the price. It looks like the nibs are not tipped, are they?

Gentian, your handwriting is intimidating.

Great video. I think the box is cool but I'd rather they used a cheaper box and cut the price. It looks like the nibs are not tipped, are they?

Gentian, your handwriting is intimidating.

The nibs are not tipped but they are very smooth. It's less sharp of an italic than the Pilot Parallel Pen, Pelikan Script and Rotring Art Pen but more so than the Lamy italic nibs. Like the Lamy italics, you can use it for cursive or regular handwriting especially in the smaller sizes.

Thank you! I can only attribute it to very many years of practice ;)