Diamine Chocolate

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Gray Scale below.

As the patches are neutral gray, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Gray Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

= - =

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/d2973a98.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' down-stroke width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/th_caa5079a.jpg

Pens: L → R: Somiko, P99, C74, 45, Phileas, Prelude.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L → R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/887bf30a.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/aed3473c.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/0c3719d1.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/9cddd073.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples Creme 20 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/b1820604.jpg

Figure 9.

Paper: Staples multi use 20 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/7a8ab8a8.jpg

Figure 10.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/84cf0bca.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 11.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/113f1d14.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Daily writer?

• Possible.

A go-to ink?

• When a delectable Dark Brown is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• My search continues for Brown inks which I could consider as appropriate for business. i.e. Business Browns that are alternatives to Business Blues.
  • DChoco certainly has the dark tone appropriate for business. I could easily see use for personal work product, and in an egalitarian / team environment.
  • It may still be necessary to keep a Dark Blue or Blue-Black handy for items that need a bit more gravitas.
  • A pleasure to use, and its high readability suits those who write and read tomes.
  • While not as fleet-of-foot as some inks, there is sufficient energy at densities shown to keep from bogging down.
  • Not enough zip for working on Black-printed documents, but if one's daily writer is a Medium Blue, then DChoco could be called upon for mark-up / editing of that text.
  • Not nearly enough zap for grading or error correction. (This ink is a pleasure to look at, so a mixed message is possible.)

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Certainly.
  • Invites all manner of application. (That plump sable water colour brush beckons!)
  • Suitable for figures at high densities, and space-defining grounds when diluted.
  • Line quality is quite good, and when care is taken choose the wetness of a pen, can do well on papers of various wetness and surface characteristics.
  • There is little risk of shading, so a fair choice when lines of even density are required.

Students:

• Quite possible.
  • Performance on 20lb 'lowest bidder' paper is OK, but two-sided use on such is not all that likely.
  • As for Business Use, the writing experience and readability are very good, so DChoco is likely a good pick for general notes - but do watch for the possibility of extended smear/dry times.
  • Safeguard what's written against exposure to fluids. It is one of the inks that if were to be wet and kept wet, the sheet might be rinsed free of ink that has come adrift - a disaster recovery technique.

Personal:

• No doubt.
  • This stuff is tastieeee.
  • Far too nice for pro forma personal business writing, so I'd use whatever default Blue is closest to hand for such tasks.
  • Without a doubt more 'personal' than my typical Blue-centric choices, I still would not use DChoco as a default ink for closest family and friends: some times for some people is perfectly wonderful.
  • The ink is moderately saturated and offers a tantalising flicker of shading, so would be a good choice to run with a variety of nib shapes, widths & wetness.
  • Billets doux? Not quite.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Generous.
  • Controlled.

Nib Dry-out:

• On the 45 after just a few minutes upcapped. (?)
  • Ink in the feed was OK, so only a few mm of virga resulted.

Start-up:

• Prompt.

Lubrication:

• Very nice.
  • Ran smoothly from all pens on all papers.
  • Watch for loss of fine control when/if using slick nibs on smooth papers.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining:

• Not seen after three days contact.

Clogging:

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• HPJ1124: C74.
  • White & Creme 20 lb: 45. Both sides of the page could be used in a pinch.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.
  • Line width varies across different papers.

Smear/Dry Times & Water Resistance: ☂

• As shown in Figure 11 above:
    • HPJ1124: 10 - 20 seconds.
    • Rhodia: 15 - 20.
    • Staples: <10.

Smell:

• No apparent scent.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not seen.

Clean Up:

• A bit slow but thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.
  • I see no reason to mix into this ink.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Comfortable.
  • At ease.

Saturation:

• Moderately high.

Shading:

• Very low.
  • Seems possible, but not sure if DChoco can be pushed that far.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • A bit less than expected

[*]Papers used:

• A bit less than expected - setting the line-width variance aside.

[*]Malleability:

• Low.
    • Suitable for a daily writer ink. :thumbup:

Hi-Res Scans:

As I do not wish to be known as 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', these are IMG-thumbs .

C74 on Rhodia

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/th_b7f80054.jpg

45 on G Lalo

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/th_a8eb2578.jpg

Prelude on Royal

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Chocolate/th_afc91d9f.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• Well within the realm of imagination. :clap1:

Are swatches accurate?

• The sample shown on the Diamine site for Product 059 is ever so slightly cooler than my scans, and is of greater density than my three-pass swabs. LINK http://www.diaminein...px?prodcode=059

SIMILAR COLOURS:

Diamine Chocolate is one of the 'One of The Eleven' series of Brown inks for which care was taken to prepare Written Samples that support comparison through manipulation of browser windows.

However, if you feel the need for a specific comparison Topic or Post, please do not hesitate to send a PM.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• White.
  • Warm white.
  • Cool white.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those which cannot suppress bleed- show-through, or constrain line-width variation.

Tinted Papers:

• I would keep to the Buff, though warm tints up to Champagne should be OK if DChoco is used at high density.
  • May actually do well on pale Powder Blue stock.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms:
    • Pleasantly do-able.
    • There is just enough warmth in DChoco so that it detaches ever so slightly from the typical Black-printed text, making what's written very clear and comfortable to read.
    • Watch for plump lines on low-grade paper - a narrow/inverted nib may be a good idea on poorly designed forms.

[*]Charts & graphs:

• Possible.
    • Unlikely to be mistaken for other primary/secondary colours.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Perhaps.
  • DChoco seemed to offer most of what it has on the penny-a-page HPJ1124. With its good lubricity, the writing experience is fine even on somewhat toothy papers.
  • Only if one is determined to wring some/any shading from the ink would high-end paper be in the mix.

ETC.

Majik:

• No.
  • Not sufficiently malleable.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Parker 45 on Royal.
  • The nib generates enough coverage that the ink is well anchored to the paper. The line is without variation of density or width, which allows the attractive simplicity and balance of the ink to be seen.

Yickity Yackity:

• While chocolate itself is a dietary staple, I'm not so sure if inky Chocolate is a staple on my ink shelves.
  • Ah kushbaby, will a wee 30ml bottle find its way onto your ink shelves? Or will you wait for one of your other bottles of Brown ink to run dry first?

= = = = =

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens:

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_1541b447.jpg

Written Samples:

Sailor Somiko + TIGP F nib.

Pelikan P99 + steel F nib.

Pilot Custom 74 + 14K SFM nib.

Parker 45 + g-p steel M nib.

Waterman Phileas + steel B nib.

Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel B stub nib.

For lines & labels:

Noodler's Lexington Grey from Pilot 78G + F nib.

______

Papers:

HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

Rhodia.

G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

Royal, 25% cotton rag.

Staples Pastel, creme.

Staples 20lb. multi use.

Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

______

Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.

Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.

HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.

Scans were not adjusted post-capture, and went straight to Photobouquet.

______

Densitometer Readings:

(HPJ1124)

Red 138

Grn 98

Blu 81

Lum 103

______

FINE PRINT

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

TAGS: FPN Fountain pen ink review Sandy1 Diamine Chocolate Brown

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• tenney

• ThirdeYe

• Steffen Larsen

Hi,

Diamine Chocolate is the eighth ink to be reviewed in the 'One of the Eleven' (OOTE) group of Brown inks.

When complete, the intention is to have the OOTE inks reviewed in the same manner, to the maximum practical extent.

Hopefully the OOTE reviews will assist practitioners in choosing their Brown ink/s, and avoid unintentional purchase of equivalent ink/s.

The Written Samples' format and scans are designed to support comparisons through manipulation of 'net browser windows. Consequently, for the OOTE series, comparison post/s will be generated only from material included in the Ink Reviews when the OOTE series is complete as I see fit, and upon Members' request.

I will be the first to admit that my experience with Brown inks is somewhat lean, so OOTE may be an interesting voyage of discovery - for me at least.

Bye,

Sandy1

==========

Prior OOTE Ink Reviews:

______

Kindly note that Diamine Macasar and Diamine Ancient Copper are not OOTE inks - they simply do not have a track record. However, those Reviews include samples using some of the same paper + pen combos as the OOTE Reviews.

Edited by Sandy1

Another thorough and lastingly useful review - thanks.

I particularly like the inclusion of many handwritten samples; swatches and the rest are required, I guess, but for many, the simple pen-written look of the ink is paramount, and often under represented - not here.

My adjusted monitors are giving a touch more purple than I have ever seen in this ink IRL, but that's an eternal problem; monitor-matching! I think this is why a good verbal description is mandatory too. The strong, singing and, to me, definitely chocolate colour of this ink may not easily be reproducible on screen. I agree that the colour is at the limits of 'professionally acceptable' and moved to Herbin's Cocoa du Bresil to cover that area; it's greyer and quieter, IMO, while still having good character with no muddiness.

Thanks for another in-depth review.

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

Your review is as thorough and helpful as a review could ever be. Thank you!

Still, my favorite brown ink remains the PR Chocolate, which already got a nice review by you.

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

Your reviews are always so deliciously satisfying, whether the ink is or not. Fortunately, I am already a fan of this selection. Thanks for the meal. ;)

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Thanks for yet another thorough review. Currently Diamine Chocolate is the only brown I have because you cannot mistake it for anything else: it is just brown, not something else that looks brownish (i.e. usually dirty). A useful colour to have, although I don't use it a lot.

Another thorough and lastingly useful review - thanks.

I particularly like the inclusion of many handwritten samples; swatches and the rest are required, I guess, but for many, the simple pen-written look of the ink is paramount, and often under represented - not here.

My adjusted monitors are giving a touch more purple than I have ever seen in this ink IRL, but that's an eternal problem; monitor-matching! I think this is why a good verbal description is mandatory too. The strong, singing and, to me, definitely chocolate colour of this ink may not easily be reproducible on screen. I agree that the colour is at the limits of 'professionally acceptable' and moved to Herbin's Cocoa du Bresil to cover that area; it's greyer and quieter, IMO, while still having good character with no muddiness.

Thanks for another in-depth review.

Hi,

You're welcome! And thanks for the compliments!!

I also believe that it is important to show how an ink looks from several pens on several papers, yet the swabs in different densities give a sense of greater possibilities, and the diluted swabs are important to show the underlying colour of the dark inks.

I also noticed that the scans are not a perfect match to the Diamine site sample, yet I feel what is shown is more than fit for purpose. Perhaps when/if inks are compared, the colour will be better expressed.

I am always interested to read what other folks feel to be suitable for business use. Not only in terms of what they would be comfortable using, but also what some companies require of their staff. If I were to receive a memo written with DChoco, I would certainly find it to be acceptable.

Bye,

S1

Wonderful review, as ever - I always enjoy the "personal" section in particular - "tastieee" indeed :)

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

Bye,

S1

Your ink reviews are not to be missed. You are single-handedly getting me to try broader nibs with some inks!

I appreciate the link to the PR Chocolat review as that's my current favourite brown. Not sure I'll convert to Diamine Chocolate, but when I read your suggestion for dark brown ink on pale blue paper, something went "zing" for me! Great idea.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Your review is as thorough and helpful as a review could ever be. Thank you!

Still, my favorite brown ink remains the PR Chocolate, which already got a nice review by you.

Hi,

You're welcome! And thanks for the compliments!!

I can easily see choosing PR Chocolat - it is a very good ink indeed. LINK

I think a Comparison of those two inks is likely, but after the OOTE series is complete.

:bunny01: Double Choco! :bunny01:

In the near-term, I hope that comparison by manipulating browser windows will meet most needs.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Your reviews are always so deliciously satisfying, whether the ink is or not. Fortunately, I am already a fan of this selection. Thanks for the meal. ;)

Hi,

You're welcome! :happyberet:

Bye,

S1

Lovely review as always. At some point try out the De Atramentis Black Edition Brown, very dark and business like. And not scented.

Here's something you might think about if you like brown inks. In the 60's when I was in college I worked as a boat salesman for my father (he owned a boat store). One of the more popular color schemes of a ski boat brand he sold was informally called the "banana boat". It was a dark brown with metalflake yellow. The combination doesn't sound great, but it looked great. I suggest you give a medium to dark brown ink a try on canary paper -- you may find you like it. While I've standardized on Heart of Darkness as my standard black, Herbin's Perle Noire also nicely pops for me on canary paper. I am saddened by the number of canaries they had to kill to make the paper though.

Thanks for yet another thorough review. Currently Diamine Chocolate is the only brown I have because you cannot mistake it for anything else: it is just brown, not something else that looks brownish (i.e. usually dirty). A useful colour to have, although I don't use it a lot.

Hi,

You're welcome!

While I think that Brown is a combination of other Primary & Secondary colours, I tend to agree that DChoco is a fine example of a very neutral Brown. It cannot be mistaken for a Dark Khaki-Green or a Brick Red. It is indeed Brown, and stays Brown at all densities.

I am exploring the Brown inks, so very slowly. In part that is because I do not use them nearly as much as my Blue-centric inks. So yes, there will be some 'must haves', even if they're not used too too much.

Bye,

S1

Your ink reviews are not to be missed. You are single-handedly getting me to try broader nibs with some inks!

I appreciate the link to the PR Chocolat review as that's my current favourite brown. Not sure I'll convert to Diamine Chocolate, but when I read your suggestion for dark brown ink on pale blue paper, something went "zing" for me! Great idea.

Hi,

It seems not I have become not only an ink enabler, but also enabling wider nibs and tinted papers!

Yikes!

Whee!!!

Bye,

S1

Lovely review as always. At some point try out the De Atramentis Black Edition Brown, very dark and business like. And not scented.

Hi,

Thanks too for the tip about the DeAtramentis ink - likely I'll give it a whirl, but later on . . . 2013 perhaps?

Bye,

S1

Here's something you might think about if you like brown inks.

snip

I suggest you give a medium to dark brown ink a try on canary paper -- you may find you like it.

snip

I am saddened by the number of canaries they had to kill to make the paper though.

Hi,

Yellow paper and I have a turbulent history - I previously paired that tint with R&K Solferino as my combo of choice for 'screaming' letters. Quite frankly, I was glad to stop using it. And to stop screaming so loud.

Even amongst the Brown inks, which many enjoy using on warm-tinted paper, I can barely manage an Ivory; and the ream of Creme is likely to be cut down for ephemera.

It is well known and clearly understood that the yellow Rhodia Bloc 16 & 19 are in compliance with PEFC regs, so paper is tinted with canaries who expired of natural causes after a full and satisfying life in the wild.

Rhodia does not conduct a slaughter like the maker of Hakase squid ink, who is likely to feel the wrath of individuals/groups protecting wildlife & domestic animals.

Bye,

S1

Canaries were the inspiration of the original singing telegrams - the telegraph paper was pasted to canary-yellow forms indicating that the message was to be sung to the addressee.

Edited by Sandy1

Another great review. This really does look like chocolate to me, but I still find it difficult to decide when to use brown ink.

Another great review. This really does look like chocolate to me, but I still find it difficult to decide when to use brown ink.

Hi,

In the past I used Brown ink only rarely - very happy to have Parker Penman Mocha as my sole Brown ink. When I'd used the last of that cache, I embarked on an inky adventure to find a replacement. After more than my usual fussing about, I chose the Pilot yama-guri - knowing full well that I'd only dipped a toe into the sea of Brown inks.

I think that by having one or two inks of a colour that one has rarely used gives some room for playful discovery. So if you don't have some to doodle with or load into a casual carry, the potential may never be realised.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1