Ranga Ebonite Pen

jotterius

Here is a review of my custom Ranga fountain pen.

Every fountain pen user/collector wants a Nakaya (ok maybe not everyone but most of us) but the cost of buying one is prohibitive. While I was browsing the net I came across Ranga pens, a small company located in India which makes acrylic and of course ebonite pens in really affordable prices. So as soon as I heard that they are willing to make custom pens I sent them an email. I described to Kandan (mpkandan) how exactly I wanted the pen, I payed and waited for the craftsman to make my pen.

After a week I got an email saying that the pen was finished and on it's way to me. It arrived in a nice wooden box which can be used as a pen case. The pen's fit and finish is superb reflecting the experience Kandan's father had obtained through years of pen making. The pen is of course an eyedropper and hold a huge amount of ink. I originaly ordered a medium nib and was surprised to see that they had also included a fine nib and a spare ebonite feed as well. A month ago I realised that I could fit a Jinhao nib which I had ground into a medium stub and so I did. Also I would like to say that the pen has never "burped" ink, even when the level gets low.

All in all I am really satisfied with my pen which looks like a Nakaya but of course you can't compare Nakaya's shinny urushi and gorgeous gold nib with matt ebonite and steel nib. Customer service was superb and the price really good. Again, I want to state that this is not a copied Nakaya, it is a custom Ranga pen.

Here are some photos

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/Jasonkili/PC190038.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/Jasonkili/PC190037.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/Jasonkili/PC190034.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/Jasonkili/PC190033.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/Jasonkili/PC190035.jpg

Enjoy,

Jason

Edited by jotterius

Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jotterius

• mpkandan

• bk123

• KrazyIvan

What channel did you reach them through? FPN? Ebay? Etsy?

i am wondering the same thing. i love the look of your pen and wanting to create my own as well.

"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

What channel did you reach them through? FPN? Ebay? Etsy?

"mpkandan" is a member here and he is the one who is selling these, his father is a well known and respected pen maker in india. they have some nice designs and other filling systems also in addition to e d.

that is a great looking black pen, enjoy it. indian pens usually have good value for money and are good writers. mr. kandan will be able to custom make pens as per individual tastes and preferences and as far as i know they are a very trustworthy and customer oriented company.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Kandan is a great fellow to work with. His products are top flight and bargain basement price for what you get. Being outfitted with 10 extra big toes in the place of fingers I asked for a pen which I could screw in Esterbrook nibs into. No fancy nibmeister stuff for me. That way I could use any nib I wanted on any given day. I sent him a 1550 and said thread the section to accept an feed/nib like this. WahLa in 2 weeks I'm in business.

Been enjoying the pen regularly since the summer. I think my total bill including EMS Mail with tracking was $70.00 or so. He even EMailed me to tell me, to go to my local PO they had the pen. Week later USPS dropped off a 2nd Notice to come get it. You can't beat customer service like that. Enjoy, Jim

Contact him direct: "kandan mp" <mpkandan@yahoo.co.in>,

Tell him Jim sent you.

Edited by jimhughes

Ωραίος :) Πένα και μαθηματικά, ακόμα πιό ωραίος.

How much did you pay?

Χαχα ευχαριστω, (τα συγκεκριμενα ειναι μερος του Θεωρηματος Bolzano.)

I paid 50 dollars for the pen, I believe shipping was about 12 dollars with tr.number.

As Jim posted you can send Kandan an email or PM him through FPN

Nice pen! Where does the step fall in your hand?

A photo is always better than words :thumbup:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/Jasonkili/PC200039.jpg

How does the nib that came with it write like? I was seriously considering getting one but was a bit unsure of the nib quality.

The nib it came with was acceptable. Of course it wasn't glass smooth but is wasn't scratcy either. If you are unsure about how the nib is going to perform as Jim said you can send them whichever nib you like and they will fit it in your pen. You can buy these pens from allwritenow and andy's pens under the Varuna name with the option of getting a Jowo nib. Also I think that the guy who owns allwritenow (Steve?) will smooth the standard nib that the pen will come with.

Just to add another bit of experience about Ranga, I have purchased two off-the-shelf pens from them, and both have been delightful. The most recent is a giant, tapered, flat-ended clipless pen in an amazing yellow and green ebonite. I ordered it with the stock Indian steel nib, and it has been an excellent writer and a constant fixture on my desk ever since I flushed it and filled it. Given the ink capacity (about 12 liters, I think) I expect to be using it for quite a while.

ron

I love this one. The matte finish and minimalist line are a winner for me.

I think I know what my next pen will be: a Ranga Custom Ebonite.

What size is the nib? Will a #6 nib fit on the pen?

“The journey is more important than the destination—that’s part of

life, if you only live for getting to the end, you’re almost always

disappointed.”

Donald E. Knuth

I love this one. The matte finish and minimalist line are a winner for me.

I think I know what my next pen will be: a Ranga Custom Ebonite.

What size is the nib? Will a #6 nib fit on the pen?

I really don't know, but I believe that Kandan can answer your question.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jotterius for posting the pictures of your custom Ranga Black Ebonite Bakul Finish. I fell in love the moment I saw it and ordered the exact same one. I just received mine today afternoon and its impeccable. I am thrilled. Mr. Kandan - A truly wonderful piece of work. Kudos and many thanks. :)

looks like a nice and sober pen :thumbup: congrats

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time