Edison Extended Mina Quick Review

dweit

Let me just start by saying this purchase was one of the most pleasant and enjoyable pen-buying experiences I have had. While I have never (knock on wood!) had a bad experience buying a pen unseen it is not uncommon, when that much anticipated item actually shows up, to open the package and maybe feel a small tinge of dissapointment of one sort of another. You know - maybe it is smaller/bigger then expected, or not as bright as expected, or maybe that "mint +" really is mint -. Well in this case, it was the opposite. This pen actually exceeded my expectations on all counts - from the way it was packaged, to the presentation box it came in, to the look and finish of the pen itself and the way it writes.

A little background. I have been thinking/wanting to purchase an Edison for some time, and have done all the requisite research of styles and customization options Brian Gray offers, as well as the reviews and comments by current owners. But I just had not gotten to it yet. Plus, I have been on a bit of a binge lately, just adding to the rotation a beautiful Wahl Eversharp Gold Seal Personal Point set (surprise Xmas gift!), a Sheaffer Legacy Palladium (total impulse buy!), a Sheaffer Valiant Touchdown and the long awaited arrival of a Stipula FPN Modello-T. But then Brian's email reminder of just a few days to go for his Dec. Susan G. Komen fundraising sale arrived, and well, I jumped (hey, any excuse to buy a pen!)

I had been really admiring the Mina but to be honest, wondered if maybe it was a bit too, shall we say, feminine, for me? Oh heck, let's be honest - "girlie" was what I thought! But then there was the Extended Mina. Well, that could give me the manly "bigness" I was looking for. So, after spending many enjoyable hours (ok, minutes - when I decide I want something, I don't mess around!) browsing Brian's Smugmug existing inventory collection, I was stopped by the Crushed Sehll Acrylic model. Wow, that looked unusual, especially with the clean minimalist Mina shape. That was the one. For the nib, I went through the usuual debate of gold/steel, but after reflecting on it, I decided the money would be better spent getting a steel nib custom ground. I am a lefty, so I emailed Brian about the pen and getting a grind to .8mm Cursive Italic Right Foot Oblique. I have two other nibs ground by Richard Binder to these specs except one is .4mm and one is .9mm, so the .8 would give me a nice range. His quick reply was simple - "no problem" - my favorite two words.

But here's the really incredible part - from the time of my first email to Brian to the time of the actual pen in my hand, custom grind and all, was 10 days! And Brian didn't even have the pen in his possesion at the time I first emailed him - it was at Brian Goulet's for review of some sort. So Brian shipped to Brian, Brian customized and fitted the nib, inspected and prepared and shipped to me, in 10 days, and that's with the New Year's holiday in the middle. Incredible service.

And, the pen is beautiful, extremly well balanced, Zen-like in shape and comfort, and the nib just the way I like it. The fit and finish is top notch. I can't wait to order my next one - maybe a Urushi Mina - if any are available when complete! Hmmm, maybe I better see if there's a list I can get on . . .

Here are some photos:

fpn_1326649009___7003798.jpg

fpn_1326649021___7003799.jpg

fpn_1326649033___7003800.jpg

fpn_1326649043___7003802.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dweit

• IWantThat

• SHK

• owenj

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! You can't go wrong with an Edison, and the crushed shell acrylic is one of my faves :)

Tamara

Wow! That is a beautiful pen. I wasn't sure on the color until the shots of it on your notebook. Beautiful. Can't wait for my regular size custom Mina to get here.

~Jaime

(she/her)

Excellent material choice! I think these "cracked" acrylics are wonderful. (I know, it's called "crushed shell" but to me they always seem 'cracked.')

Enjoy your Mina. Also a great choice. happyberet.gif But then I have one too. And I don't feel girlie at all.

--Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi