Everflo Basic Black

owenj

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/LitlJaimo/Fountain%20Pens/Paper/EverfloBasicBlack.jpg

ETA: This scanned in just a touch lighter than it is in person.

I purchased this more or less on a whim, as I was looking for a black ink to use for note-taking. I primarily write on Levenger Circa paper, which is fairly absorbent & IMO takes fountain pen inks pretty well. I was thinking about one of the Noodler's or Aurora Black, but given their saturation levels/dry times, & the fact that I was placing an order with Richard Binder anyway...I bought this.

This isn't the deepest, darkest black out there. It's definitely black, but it dries fairly matte & isn't the blackest of the blacks that I've seen.

However, I don't need a dark black, & this ink satisfies all the qualities I was searching for in a black ink. Flow is decent, perhaps a touch drier than the Iroshuzuku & Diamine inks I've been using lately. I'd rate it at 6-6.5/10 on the flow/wetness scale. Good lubricity; glide with a little feedback, but it never felt like I was having to drag the pen across the page. Little to no feathering that I can see. No bleeding, show through is visible but nowhere near bad enough to deter me from using both sides of the page.

Shading...a little bit, but not mind-blowing. However, I only tested this in a fine nib.

Will I buy it again? Too soon to tell. Probably not right away, as there are other blacks that I'd like to try first, but I'm certainly not pouring this down the drain.

Edited by owenj

~Jaime

(she/her)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• owenj

• lapis

• mturk

• Uncle Red

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this Owen, there aren't a lot of reviews of the Everflo inks. Did you order the pen at the same time?

I love all the Everflo colors I have; BB, black and green. I much prefer a "vintage" look to my writing, and detest blacks that look like they were spit from an inkjet printer. I have a printer for that!

Your produce alone was worth the trip...

Thanks for posting this Owen, there aren't a lot of reviews of the Everflo inks. Did you order the pen at the same time?

Thanks Uncle Red. I actually got the pen a few weeks ago. I ordered the ink because I was already ordering one of the cigar box pen chests (beautiful, btw) & was wanting a black ink. I hadn't seen any reviews for the black Everflo, so I bought it :lol:

~Jaime

(she/her)

Do you -- or anybody else here -- have a bit of general opinion about all 5 Everflos? I had already ordered all 5 about 6 months ago and since then, none of them seem to have been available. Can you compare them with any other inlks? Are they at least "okay"

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Do you -- or anybody else here -- have a bit of general opinion about all 5 Everflos? I had already ordered all 5 about 6 months ago and since then, none of them seem to have been available. Can you compare them with any other inlks? Are they at least "okay"

Mike

Not sure if you were replying to me, but I have only tried the Black ink. Of the limited reviews, it looks like the purple (Orchid?) was enjoyed the most. I like the color of Blue-Black so that may go next on my list despite the reports of slow dry times.

I seem to remember reading that Gate City was doing some sort of overhaul, or repackaging? & that's why Goulet Pens doesn't carry it anymore. It looks like Richard Binder has them in stock.

The black has been working out well for me on my Levenger Circa paper, but I'll add that there's a chemical smell when I first take the cap off the pen.

~Jaime

(she/her)

Thanks for the news. Maybe I'll try a new search.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Mike

I tried the Blue-Black, and while it wasn't awful, it never wowed me enough to use it. I finally sent it off to a fellow FPN member who was trying to get a bottle. He seemed overjoyed. So it's all subjective with nothing very negative to report. Either you like it or not. IMHO, of course.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain