Pilot Custom 74

jandrese

This will be a brief review, since it is not the pen itself that is of interest. We all know this pen to be a reliable, relatively inexpensive (although full list price is a tad high), and solid writer. Mine is no exception. The big news is the big nib. The "C" type nib, which I didn't even know existed. What does "C"? It means cosu. What does cosu mean? I think it means course. Anyway, it is the biggest nib that Pilot makes. I almost literally stumbled on this pen, and as soon as I saw the nib I knew that I had something special.

DSC_9038.JPG

The pen itself is black. It is not opaque, however, since my Nikon can see right through it. It must actually be a deep red like Mont Blanc and Pelikan precious/quality resins. The only thing wrong with this pen is the totally crappy CON-50 converter. I guess I could get a CON-70, which incidentally my Custom 74 came standard with, but I don't care enough. At least this way I can change inks more often, if only because I'll have to.

DSC_9031.JPG

The nib. Oh, what a glorious nib. All you broad/double broad nib people take note, the Japanese can play this game too! Fat, juicy lines with only a hint of variation, this is no stub or italic. Ink flow, as expected from a Pilot is essentially perfect. The line width is basically the same as my Pelikan M400 BB. The Pelikan, however, has much narrower cross stokes. There is so much iridium it looks very similar to Sailor's Zoom nib without providing the line width variation of the Zoom.

DSC_9032.JPG

DSC_9033.JPG

Here is the nib alongside my Custom 74 with broad nib, and Sailor's Zoom nib. From left to right it is Zoom, broad, cosu. Notice how big the cosu is!

DSC_9039.JPG

Here is a writing sample. Don't know what happened to the text below the other nib/ink samples so I'll just list the inks here.

Pelikan BB: Sailor Grenade

Omas broad custom cursive italic: Noodler's Tianamen

Stipula italic: De Atramentis Copper Brown

Aurora italic: Sailor Red-Brown

IMG%252520cosu%252520writing.jpg

Basically, if you like double broad nibs, get this pen. If you like Japanese pens, get this pen. If you like BB Japanese pens GO GET THIS PEN! It actually makes me like the Custom 74, which I was formally pretty ambivalent about.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• acolythe

• jandrese

• raging.dragon

That has to be the broadest non-stub, single-slit nib I've ever seen. Wonderful that even Pilot could get the feed to keep up with it!

ron

Thanks for sharing, pity Pilot isn't bring these into the states

Although they seem far from common, I did get mine here in the states, so, they must be around. It was Texas though, and depending on who you ask it may, or may not be, considered part of the USA.

• 4 months later...

I have just ordered the nib only from Engeika on ebay. I have lots of Custom 74's around

If the feed keeps up so well I'd love to be able to get it on an FA nib. It sounds as though it would solve the issues.

Does anyone know how to swap a pilot nib from section to section?

Barry

I have just ordered the nib only from Engeika on ebay. I have lots of Custom 74's around

If the feed keeps up so well I'd love to be able to get it on an FA nib. It sounds as though it would solve the issues.

Does anyone know how to swap a pilot nib from section to section?

Barry

I've heard that they're press fit, and thus you should be able to (firmly, yet gently an carefully) grasp the nib and feed while wearing rubber gloves and pull them out together. If you try to pull the nib or feed separately, you're likely to damage one or both.

Just for the sake of general information: The FA nib is more arched as compared to the other nibs of same size and Pilot fits a special rounded feed to the FA.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

My Pilot Custom 74 with Cosu nib is in my current rotation, with a MB146 BB, and a Reform Calligraphy that I have ground to a stubbish nib.

It is one of the smoothest I have written with, definitely the juiciest, writes very light, needs no pressure at all, alas no line variation. Excellent for bold big writing.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

My cosu nib has come now and I have mounted it on a 74. I find it a bit disappointing. Like my broad Sheafer imperial, it is balky on Rhodia. On this paper it will occionally skip or part of the nib will fail to lay down ink so that the line is suddenly narrow. While it is exceptionally smooth it feels almost as though there is some sort of drag to lay ink. Its very difficult to explain. Has any one else experienced it?

Sounds like the nib needs some tuning. Consult Taizo/engeika, maybe he will send out a tested replacement.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I was wondering where did you purchase this pen?

Dromgoole's in Houston, TX

I love Dromgoole's - I can look in those cases for hours!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

One other reason that I keep asking questions about ED conversions is that I have Platinum's Course which looks to be quite similar--I'm talking about laying down a line that feels like roller skating in butter....a cartridge is gone in moments, and I have had nothing but trouble with Platinum's converter. How good is the Con-70?