#1 seoulseeker

seoulseeker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:31

I ran into a friend today and he mentioned that he will never again buy a Parker, after his first experience with their service, after having a very sketchy quality nib. He was also very obstinate about never purchasing from Lamy, calling their pens "ugly".

It got me thinking though, that I will probably never buy a Platinum, just because I think their nibs usually look hideous. Other brands that seem to primarily construct from celluloid crossed my mind, as I'm not a fan of the material.

Do you have any brand you flat out refuse to buy from, or to buy from again? What's the story behind it?

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:56

Okay, you asked for it... umm... wait a sec until I whip out my steel helmet... Montblanc!
I bought a brand new 146 and it turned out to be a slow starter, get the hiccoughs, write dry after about 10 seconds of non-use. So far, so good. I took it back to MB and they sent it to MB headquarters in Hamburg and it came back marked "restored". But it wasn't. So I repeated this whole affaire after lots of scans, mails, faxes, phone calls. Came back and ditto.
I mean, anything can go on the fritz but if the original company -- even such a "reputable" one like MB -- itself can't fix it after 2 attempts, then I have no faith in any further purchase.

BTW I love and use all of their inks.

Mike
Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 jotterius

jotterius

ebonite junkie :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:50

I can't say that I will not ever buy a pen from a specific company because I don't know what models they may launch in the future. From current pen models I will never buy a CdA fp.
Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

#4 PaulT00

PaulT00

trainee nutcase

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 13:15

Sadly the two brands I would never consider buying new pens from (i.e. modern) are the two biggest brands from years gone by - Sheaffer and Parker. Both have been reduced to selling stuff which must surely cause the illustrious founders of those companies to spin in their graves, squandering years of experience and goodwill to become (in my opinion) merely a brand applied to tat. Sad.

#5 ajoe

ajoe

@@--:::--@@

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 13:32

Sheaffer -- Parker -- Waterman

I have been using fountain pens since approximately 1960. The above brands have continuously dissappointed.

IMHO, Sheaffer's poor quality cheap pens--the ones most people have access to in b&m stores--is be the biggest reason that many people don't use fountain pens.

#6 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 13:41

Sadly the two brands I would never consider buying new pens from (i.e. modern) are the two biggest brands from years gone by - Sheaffer and Parker. Both have been reduced to selling stuff which must surely cause the illustrious founders of those companies to spin in their graves, squandering years of experience and goodwill to become (in my opinion) merely a brand applied to tat. Sad.

I agree, largely, with this....although I 'Never say "Never"' in this context!
I had some superb service from the UK HQs of both companies, in the 70s, but am also sad to see their current ranges of products.

With such large companies as MB, one has to wonder how much they care, nowadays, about losing a customer due to poor service, and I might decide to take my custom elsewhere.
OTOH, if I had a problem with a small company, I would make an effort to give them a chance to 'put things right'.

Edited by rogerb, 08 January 2012 - 13:43.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#7 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 13:48

TWSBI as to me they look cheap and nasty but without the cheap price tag. I just can't see the point in them.

My Collection:
Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac & Defoe
Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP
Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP
Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.
Play WE game. or POA game.

#8 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• 2,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 14:27

I guess it would be easier to list the names of the brands I actually would love to buy from. There are too many old and new manufacturers out there that are either too expensive or too ugly or too lousy or...
Limitation is bliss :-)
Greetings,
Michael

#9 inkyleftie

inkyleftie

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 14:33

Oh dear, I'm feeling rather inferior now, as Sheaffer, Parker and Waterman pens form the backbone of my 'collection' (=accumulation). I suppose my experience with these companies is based on having enjoyed some basic but good models from their ranges - Skripsert, Parker 25, Philéas. Although I haven't been disappointed with more recent acquisitions either.

At the moment I can't see myself buying from the expensive Italian ranges, just because I would feel guilty about the cost, so I experience some vicarious enjoyment by reading the descriptions and looking at the beautiful photographs on FPN. :)

Edited by inkyleftie, 08 January 2012 - 14:34.

#10 seoulseeker

seoulseeker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 15:09

Oh dear, I'm feeling rather inferior now, as Sheaffer, Parker and Waterman pens form the backbone of my 'collection' (=accumulation). I suppose my experience with these companies is based on having enjoyed some basic but good models from their ranges - Skripsert, Parker 25, Philéas. Although I haven't been disappointed with more recent acquisitions either.

At the moment I can't see myself buying from the expensive Italian ranges, just because I would feel guilty about the cost, so I experience some vicarious enjoyment by reading the descriptions and looking at the beautiful photographs on FPN. :)

Everyone will have different preferences, thats the beauty of fountain pens :thumbup:

I have only avoided a parker thus far because I think that their clips are far too stylized, and detract quite significantly from the pen. Would take a parker with a plain clip (or no clip for that matter) any day :puddle:

Edited by seoulseeker, 08 January 2012 - 15:10.

#11 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 15:15

I can't think of any brands where I could honestly say "I'll never buy one of their pens" but there are many where I can say "So far they have produced nothing I want."

Many such marques are among those others prize, so it is certainly a matter of personal taste.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#12 Mike 59

Mike 59

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 15:23

Agree that it's not easy to say would never buy from a company, because the next one they make may be the one to have!
I guess many of us think it's the next one that will be perfect for me, then it isn't, so wait a bit longer......
Odd thing is that today's manufacturing machinery and methods should be very superior to pre-war, it shouldn't be possible to buy sub-standard
products. But reality is very different, and I think along the lines of; "about 1 in 3 are good, will I be lucky?"
I have had very good and poor products from most popular makers, I couldn't stick to just one manufacturer, it narrows the odds too much.

#13 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 15:30

Most of the Tibaldi range is just 'too much' for my taste, so I would not buy anything from them at the moment.
I think that portraits hardly ever work on pens, because of the cylindrical shape of the barrel and lid and Tibaldi seem to use the portrait a lot in their range.
Having said that, some of the Bentley range is much more understated in comparison - so I would never say never!
I guess IMHO they may be great pens to write with, but I don't really want to carry around something that would make even Liberace blush!

#14 smodak

smodak

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 15:33

TWSBI. Just don't like it.
Noodler's - Do not have time or mindset to tinker. Does not work out of the box.

Edited by smodak, 08 January 2012 - 16:51.

#15 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,774 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 15:45

Most of the Tibaldi range is just 'too much' for my taste, so I would not buy anything from them at the moment.
I think that portraits hardly ever work on pens, because of the cylindrical shape of the barrel and lid and Tibaldi seem to use the portrait a lot in their range.
Having said that, some of the Bentley range is much more understated in comparison - so I would never say never!
I guess IMHO they may be great pens to write with, but I don't really want to carry around something that would make even Liberace blush!

I agree ...modern Tibaldis set high standards of vulgarity(and excessive cost)!

OTOH, my Tibaldi Iride with a piston-filler, beautiful celluloid, and a sweet B nib, is my pen which is most admired, by collectors and non-collectors alike :)
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#16 mikkolopez

mikkolopez

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 16:04

i wouldn't say I wouldn't buy from any brands out there but I did stick to the brand that has satisfied my appetite so far, and that's a Parker, most probably i'd stick it out with them.

#17 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 16:13

I generally avoid Noodler's inks now.

#18 smodak

smodak

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 16:51

+1 I use Noodler's inks but will never buy a noodler's FP again.

Edited by smodak, 08 January 2012 - 21:11.

#19 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 17:01

Parker Pens because Sanford stole me of 60€ I asked for cap exchange and what I got in return was an exchanged cap but also a scratchy nib.

Waterman because like my favorite dealer Mr Mora told me, they offer nothing new and since the end of production of the man 100, they propose nothing stellar or extraordinary.

Visconti because of the finickiness of the quality control and the stifness of the nib, the packaging and celluloid body are not enough to convince me more than 500€ on a pen.

Delta because most of their nibs are dull, characterless and offer no line variation. I also hate lever fillers.

Aurora because of the stiffness of their nibs and unpleasing aesthetics of their pens. Tried several auroras but I dislike them.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#20 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 5,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 17:01

Me neither. Just cashed in my last 5 bottles and thats it for me. Pen wise I was massively dissapointed with a Yard O Led I owned. Customer service was great but the actual pen, Viceroy Grand, was hopeless so this sort of soured my YOL view BUT that said I would never say I would not own another.

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#21 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,782 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 17:04

Probably Visconti or Montegrappa. I can't see spending $300 or close to it for a pen with a steel nib.
Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Premium Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, 21 Super Red, Vac Jr. Black, 51 MK1 Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 MK1 Demi Black, 51 MK1 Demi Teal, 51 MK1 Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Sub. Deb. Black.

#22 ever onward

ever onward

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 17:47

I have only avoided a parker thus far because I think that their clips are far too stylized, and detract quite significantly from the pen. Would take a parker with a plain clip (or no clip for that matter) any day :puddle:

+1. To me, Parker arrow clips are hideous. I'll only buy vintage Parkers for this reason.

But I don't mean to offend anyone who likes them! To each his or her own. :)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

#23 Strang

Strang

Down

• Member - Gold

• 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 17:50

Rotring and Lamy. Just too dang ugly! :sick:
Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.
Posted Image

#24 Z500

Z500

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 18:25

when i first saw a lamy, i thought "how ugly"
and now i own a bunch and they are my favorite brand because of the quality and value

now i tend to think most of the really fancy european "roccoco" pens are ugly and overdone

however, i am reminded of all the girls i told myself i wasn't attracted too .... until they winked at me
and then they turned into real beauties

#25 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• 9,714 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 18:40

when i first saw a lamy, i thought "how ugly"

I too think that Lamy is ugly. What did you say her phone number was?
Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#26 Dave the brew guy

Dave the brew guy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 18:50

I'm on the fence when it comes to Pilot, Sailor and Platinum. There's a part of me that would like to try one of these (given the reviews), but each time I consider a purchase I am disappointed by the lack of value they offer and the lack of nib selection. In the $100-200 range you are limited to C/C pens with needle-nibs. Want a real B nib? You'll have to pay extra for a "music" nib. A built in filler? Good luck!
Is there a reason that Japan can't make a decent $150 pen? Every time I try to select one, I find myself thinking that I should just get another Lamy 2000.

#27 ajoe

ajoe

@@--:::--@@

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 18:52

Rotring and Lamy. Just too dang ugly! :sick:

Well, I've never won a beauty contest, so I give ugly fair break.

I got a couple of those ugly sticks and they write darn nice for a $25 pen.

#28 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 18:53

Mont Blanc and Parker (customer service) and Waterman (nib tooth).
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#29 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• 5,217 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 19:08

I can't honestly say 'never' or 'never again' at this point. I actually like old pens, but keep falling into 'oooh pretty' syndrome :embarrassed_smile:

At this point I've never seen a Krone that I cared for, let alone the price! Montblanc has some pretty regular models, and the finish is (from what I can tell in pictures) very high, I simply am afraid of spending that much money on an every day pen.

Having said that if I were to find ANYTHING at a yard sale for a reasonable price I'd likely get it (thrill of the hunt and all that!)

I'm pretty weird though, I get the biggest thrill from great writing in an inexpensive pen....(preferably vintage)

I guess that's why Vintage Sheaffers, Esterbrooks, and Parkers make up the bulk of my collection, with some nice Pilots thrown in for everyday workhorse pens. In fact my favorite 'pricey' pen is the Pilot VP, smooth writing, bulletproof design, and very convenient! I seem to buy one every time I see them on 'special' somewhere! :embarrassed_smile:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#30 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• 3,173 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 19:09

Ugh.

I'm in the "never say never" field. In example, I once swore I would never buy a maki-e pen because I thought they were gaudy and expensive. Now, I have a love of certain Japanese pens in the traditional art and have no less than two very expensive, custom maki-e pens.

At this time, I would not purchase a Krone. Doesn't fit my ideal of a good pen at this time.

At this time, I would not purchase another modern Parker. The last left a bad taste. I might buy another vintage, if it really "spoke" to me.

At this time, I would not purchase another LAMY. I really wanted to like these pens, but the two models I owned were disappointments to me.

Etc.

Things change, though. You never know what might be around the corner.
Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.