Herbin Poussière De Lune

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

_-⁂-_

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/38705946.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/th_d7a875c2.jpg

Pens: L ➠ R: Estie, Rotring, Safari, Waterman, Insignia, C74.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

Papers: L ➠ R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/6cf219a4.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/7bf9477c.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/897ad296.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/fff35db3.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi use.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/5bb7ff3a.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/0bee34e1.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times

Wet Tests ☂

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/183880c6.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Possible, but not so much.

A go-to ink?

• When a warm high-performance ink is desired.

USE

If using a Blue, Blue-Black, or a neutral Brown as a daily writer ink, HPdL may do well as a complementary colour.

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• As other Red-centric colours, HPdL might be perceived as 'shouting' or as inappropriately personal. Please consider your corporate culture and its protocols when using this lovely ink.
  • The colour may be considered as lacking in gravitas by some, so perhaps best not used for dour topics.
  • HPdL is vibrant on the page, and has a strong performance profile, making it a contender for those who use an array of inks.
  • For personal work product, I would run HPdL at quite high density - up to the threshold of bleed- show-through. In lower densities, it might be just a tad too animated for long haul writing or reading.
  • At medium density, it should be fine for mark-up & editing.
  • Enough velvet glove zap to use for error correction or grading assignments.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Another very welcome addition.
  • HPdL will take on different roles according to density without losing its vibrancy. When run at low density or diluted, a Pink-ish tinge might appear, which can be exploited or suppressed by selection of adjacent colours.
  • Use in brush pens seems inviting.
  • Line quality is high, with generally crisp edges. There is a high potential for shading, so if tight narrow lines and labels are required, chose the pen accordingly.

Students:

• As for Business use, I suggest using HPdL at high density for general notes and mark-up of Black / Blue text / graphics. However, at such densities, 'lowest bidder' paper may demonstrate bleed- show-through.
  • Line quality is very crisp, so should be a good pick for significant narrow-nib marginalia. (Spare me the high-lighted marginalia / footnotes.)
  • Water resistance is very good, so notes are likely to endure for a term during an active life style.
  • Unlikely to be accepted for hand-written assignments.

Personal:

• Wonderful.
  • Inks in this range are nicely 'personal' personal, and the recipient will know that I picked this ink on purpose - it's not one of my usual Blue-centric inks.
  • Good choice for invitations to casual events.
  • HPdL is very much in the style of Maison de Herbin. I have used a wide array of pens with this ink, and enjoyed almost all results. Results from nibs with a bit of flex were encouraging. (Please chime in.)
  • As for other uses above, I found that it was necessary to get the density and shading dialed-in for personal writing. I favour amped shading, with higher density - at least that of the Waterman on HPJ1124. I do not care to run this ink at low density to get a 'sketchy' Look.
  • Billets doux are well within scope, so please exercise due diligence to avoid mixed messages.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Just higher than average.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubrication:

• Low.
  • The narrow nibs on the textured papers rattled & jostled across the page.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining:

• Not seen after three days' contact.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely

Bleed- Show-Through:

• HPJ1124: C74.
  • Royal: C74.
  • Staples 20lb: Just a bit from the Waterman.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Inconsequential.
  • Some in the 'ink pools' from the C74 on the Royal.

Smell:

• Not noticed.

Clean Up:

• Very prompt and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• Forbidden by J Herbin!
  • Oh please, have a seat, relax and enjoy the Boeuf Bourguignon.

Smear/Dry Time & Water Resistance:

• As shown in Figure 10.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Cozy.
  • Inviting.

Saturation:

• Moderate.

Shading:

• Subtle and pervasive.
  • Possible from narrow nibs on smooth surfaced papers.
  • Another class act from JH. :happyberet:

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • A bit less than expected - considering the range of writers.

[*]Papers used:

• About as expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Certainly enough to keep one amused.
    • Some practitioners may find the malleability of HPdL frustrating - a tease that can keep just out of reach.

Hi-Res Scans:

As I do not wish to earn the sobriquet 'Reine des Bandits de Largeur de Bande', these are links only.

Estie on HPJ1124

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/th_dfbcb693.jpg

Safari on Rhodia

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/th_766e0e85.jpg

Waterman on G Lalo

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/th_b1675d0c.jpg

C74 on Royal

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/th_d4aee7ba.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• Poetic, evocative, but not so appropriate; something lost in translation perhaps.

Are swatches accurate?

OTHER INKS

Comparison:

Caran d'Ache Storm and Diamine Damson were treated to the same review process. The results of which can be seen

HERE
and

HERE

A three-way comparison is planned, but please do not hold your breath.

Swab Swami:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Poussiere%20de%20Lune/th_b5c3e588.jpg

Swabs of HPdL are interlaced with Herbin Larmes de Cassis [L] , and Caran d'Ache Storm [R] in densities from three, two and one passes.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Crisp pure white.
  • Natural à la G Lalo, as shown.
  • If one chooses to reduce the vibrancy by one iota, then the slightly cool base tint of G Lalo Velin de France may be of interest.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those which are prone to bleed- show-through.

Tinted Papers:

• HPdL is fine on the natural G Lalo, but high density may be desirable for warmer more yellow colours.
  • If a dusky rose tint could be found, it may be a very nice pairing.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms, etc.
    • Only if one wants such entries or the entire form to stand out; good for keystone, priority or anomalous stuff.

[*]For charts & graphs:

• If the shading can be suppressed, a good pick for significant but secondary data sets.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Quite possibly.
  • If one is working to achieve the desired amounts of shading and density, high-end papers may well be in the mix for their smooth surface, and reduced likelihood of bleed- show-through.

ETC.

Majik:

• Quite possible.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Pilot Custom 74 on Rhodia.
  • The high % coverage combined with the high-ish density and serious shading made this my choice for personal writing. The intensity of the shading slows the reading process and slightly off-sets the animated colour. (In practice I increase ruling to 9mm or greater.)
  • The Rhodia promotes shading and can handle the wetness of HPdL running at high density. The base tint cossets the high % coverage of ink so that it doesn't get too animated on the page.

Yickity Yackity:

• Ah kushbaby, have you signed the petition to have PdL made available by the hogshead?

= = = = =

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens:

IMG-thumb

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_2d9e8c04.jpg

• Esterbrook J + steel 2550 XF
  • Rotring 600 + steel F
  • Safari + steel F
  • Waterman + g-p steel M
  • Parker UK 51 Insignia (?) + 14K
  • Pilot C74 + 14K MS
  • For lines & labels: Noodler's Lexington Grey from a Pilot 78G.

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples 20lb. multi use.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

_______

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted post-capture, so went straight to Photobouquet.

______

Densitometer Readings:

(HPJ1124)

• Red 143
  • Grn 115
  • Blu 158
  • Lum 129

______

Fine Print:

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff in the bottle I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Herbin Poussiere de Lune Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Fabienne

• tinta

• dragos.mocanu

Thank you for another great review. I just got a bottle of this lovely ink and your review convinces me to use it with a broader nib to really show it off. This is one of the truly wonderful purple inks and I love the name too.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Poussière de Lune is my favorite Herbin ink. I love its dusty purple color--it lives up to its name!

This is one of my favourite inks!! The purple-grey is such a beautiful colour!! The shading's amazing too!!

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

Thanks for another one of your great reviews.

Love this ink, and I keep my broad Sheaffer Balance filled with it. Draws a nice, wet, line and flows beautifully. I've found no issues with drying out or slow start in my pen even if I don't use this combo for a week.

Cheers.

Thank you for another great review. I just got a bottle of this lovely ink and your review convinces me to use it with a broader nib to really show it off. This is one of the truly wonderful purple inks and I love the name too.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm glad you're encouraged to use PdL from a wider nib - this is one ink that can certainly handle the widest of nibs. Whee!

Bye,

S1

Thanks for another great review. I have to say this is one of my very favorite inks. Not my most used ink, of course. But there is just something wonderful about it.

Hi,

You're welcome!

PdL could easily be a top shelf ink - based on personality alone. It does seem to have something special up its sleeve.

Bye,

S1

Poussière de Lune is my favorite Herbin ink. I love its dusty purple color--it lives up to its name!

Hi,

Even though I like to think that my favourite ink is the one that's in the pen I'm holding, I always look forward to using PdL!

And what is going on with that name? I seem to be missing something - a nuance or perhaps a colloquialism . . .

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Even though I like to think that my favourite ink is the one that's in the pen I'm holding, I always look forward to using PdL!

And what is going on with that name? I seem to be missing something - a nuance or perhaps a colloquialism . . .

Bye,

S1

The name and color certainly lends consideration for use for in a dream journal, should that sort of thing strike your fancy. For what it's worth, my native French friends (who are not fountain pen people) are still charmed by the name.

This is one of my favourite inks!! The purple-grey is such a beautiful colour!! The shading's amazing too!!

:thumbup:

Hi,

Do you find that you can typically generate shading from the narrow nibs only on papers such as Rhodia or Clairefontaine Triomphe? Or do some 'copy papers' also show shading from narrow nibs?

Bye,

S1

Thanks for another one of your great reviews.

Love this ink, and I keep my broad Sheaffer Balance filled with it. Draws a nice, wet, line and flows beautifully. I've found no issues with drying out or slow start in my pen even if I don't use this combo for a week.

Cheers.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thank-you for adding your experience with PdL from the Balance. Nice combo! Hard to find a wide nib on those pens, yes? (Or am I just not looking hard enough?)

Certainly, the Herbin inks are amongst those that seem to suit the older pens quite well, but I often use the modern pens just because I like Herbins from wide nibs. *Inks-up a Duofold with an stub-ish N nib*

Bye,

S1

that looks pretty, Sand! thx for another nice one!

Hi,

You're welcome!

PdL certainly is a good looking ink!

Bye,

S1

Can't find a single fault with this ink!

Hi,

While I consider PdL to have a strong performance profile, it is not immune to bleed-show-through on 'lowest bidder' papers.

I certainly think that in practice, if one is using PdL on such papers, a dry-ish writer may be used; and it would be unlikely to use a wide wet nib on such papers to generate great shading - even though it is quite possible with the trade-off of bleed-through.

Personally, I don't mind a bit of bleed- show-through for stuff I do on the job - so long as legibility is high. For personal writing, even though I use one side of the page, I abhor bleed-through but can tolerate some show-through.

Bye,

S1

snip

Bye,

S1

The name and color certainly lends consideration for use for in a dream journal, should that sort of thing strike your fancy. For what it's worth, my native French friends (who are not fountain pen people) are still charmed by the name.

Hi,

I do not keep a waking hours journal, so the thought of a sleepy time journal boggles my mind.

(As would hearing 'poussièrre de lune' in the burble of pillow talk.)

Bye,

S1

PDL and MB Lavender are my purple favorites, it can go personal to business with no issues

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

A great detailed review. I like HPDL, but went in favour of Herbin Larmes de Cassis. After reading your review I might try HPDL again!