Comparison Scans

The Good Captain

I've spent a little time scanning examples of the inks that I currently have and use the most. The object being to be able to seen comparisons between say, just a couple but side by side, which isn't always easy to do. Usually the two I want are at opposite ends of the paper.

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Diamine Sapphire Blue

fpn_1325438488__diamine_sapphire_blue.jpg

and Diamine Denim

fpn_1325438511__diamine_denim.jpg

Here's a list and unless I have a request to post the lot, I could always just add them 'on demand' - relatively speaking.

I thought it might be of use and it passed the time until it stopped raining.

Diamine

Asa Blue, Presidential Blue, Prussian Blue, Blue-Black, Sapphire Blue, Imperial Blue, Majestic Blue, Denim, Midnight and Eclipse.

Umber, Sherwood Green, Green/Black, Evergreen.

Noodler's

'Prime of the Commons', Blue-Black, Sequoia Green and Zhivago

Sheaffer Skrip (current production)

Blue, Blue-Black and Black

Pelikan 4001 series

Royal Blue, Blue-Black and Brilliant Black

Lamy (current bottled formula)

Blue-Black

Waterman

Florida Blue, Blue-Black and Black

Parker Quink (permanent or non-washable)

Blue, Blue-Black and Black

All the scans were done on a Cannon CanoScan LiDE 210 at 600dpi. The Colour Space is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. No manipulation was done with editing software.

The words were all written using a Lamy Safari Medium nib, dipped fully before use and washed out and dried thoroughly between each ink. I used a Rhodia No16 pad, of lined 80gsm paper.

Hope this might be of some use and as I get different inks I can add them to the list.

Happy New Year and I'm going to have a glass of wine now!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• kpyeoman

• swanjun

• amberleadavis

No sooner said than done but don't expect this kind of service every time!

Prime of the Commons

fpn_1325443438__noodlers_prime_of_the_commons.jpg

Blue-Black

fpn_1325443417__noodlers_blue-black.jpg

Sequoia Green

fpn_1325443474__noodlers_sequoia_green.jpg

and Zhivago

fpn_1325443491__noodlers_zhivago.jpg

Any use?

The Good Captain

Any use?

Indeed! Thank you! I've been pining for Prime of the Commons, but it turns out I actually like the regular (and obtainable in the US) Blue-Black more, so that's a comfort. :)

• 1 year later...

This thread didn't get proper consideration for the kind offer! I'm going to bring it back if the offer still stands.

I'm interested in Asa Blue, Prussian and Majestic.

This thread didn't get proper consideration for the kind offer! I'm going to bring it back if the offer still stands.

I'm interested in Asa Blue, Prussian and Majestic.

Thanks for your kind words and yes, it does still stand! I've a load more to add but haven't scanned them all. However, here are the three you mention.

fpn_1363940557__diamine_asa_blue_2.jpg

fpn_1363940654__diamine_prussian_blue.jpg

fpn_1363940619__diamine_majestic_blue.jpg

I've since tried their Indigo and prefer it to the Prussian, but I've not a scan of this to hand. Also, I thought I'd try the Majestic again only yesterday and it really is a great colour: perhaps a little darker than the scan but the red sheen is amazing. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that on some of the papers I am now using, since some of my comments a while ago, the smearing and long, long drying times are not so apparent.

The Good Captain

Wow, what a great offer! Thank you!

Okay ... how about some of your greens? (I have recently been playing with Parker Penman Emerald - yeeooozzzaaa - its so pretty).

What greens do you think should be compared?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow, what a great offer! Thank you!

Okay ... how about some of your greens? (I have recently been playing with Parker Penman Emerald - yeeooozzzaaa - its so pretty).

What greens do you think should be compared?

The only other 'separate' green I have bought that's not on the list at the beginning of this topic, is Diamine Racing Green. There is one definite one in the Music Set - Schubert - but that's not available on its own; only as a refill.

I could add these to the list if you think that would be relevant but there are far more comprehensive green lists out there!

In answer to your last question though, I'll put up a comparison of the similar ones, in groups but it will be later on.

The Good Captain

Thanks, Captain! I own Majestic and quite enjoy it (I don't have the smearing/dry time issues reported by many, either). I'm looking at buying some of the Diamine 30 ml bottles and was considering Prussian and Asa. Do you find Asa has performance issues as reported by some? In the scans it looks similar to Majestic, but I think it's a fair bit lighter, correct? I'm torn with Prussian -- I like blue blacks, and this is a blue leaning that way; however, people seem to either love it or hate it. It'll cost me more to get the sample of it to try out, so I think I might just take the gamble with the 30 ml bottle.

Denim is also on my consideration list, but I think it's likely to be pretty close to Majestic (or R2 which I'd like to purchase at some point as well).

Thanks, Captain! I own Majestic and quite enjoy it (I don't have the smearing/dry time issues reported by many, either). I'm looking at buying some of the Diamine 30 ml bottles and was considering Prussian and Asa. Do you find Asa has performance issues as reported by some? In the scans it looks similar to Majestic, but I think it's a fair bit lighter, correct? I'm torn with Prussian -- I like blue blacks, and this is a blue leaning that way; however, people seem to either love it or hate it. It'll cost me more to get the sample of it to try out, so I think I might just take the gamble with the 30 ml bottle.

Denim is also on my consideration list, but I think it's likely to be pretty close to Majestic (or R2 which I'd like to purchase at some point as well).

I'll comment in detail later - after work!

The Good Captain

Just wanted to give a BIG thanks to the Good Captain for this offer.

I don't want any particular comparisons, but wanted to say how much your efforts are appreciated.

Thanks again!

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.