J Herbin 'larmes De Cassis'

Toolattack

This is my first ever ink review and is on an ink I was given this Christmas.

The ink tested was in cartridge form (hope that this is ok).

Despite a very thorough flushing, the ink started slightly darker in colour and lightened as the pen was used.

I really liked this ink and used it to write a number of Christmas 'thank you' letters as I found the blackcurrant colour quite festive!post-78434-0-72904500-1325172289.jpg

Please excuse the spelling errors that I have just noticed!

Edited by Toolattack

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Toolattack

• lapis

• ThirdeYe

• swanjun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review! I love this ink too and its flow and saturation properties resemble quite closely most of Herbin's inks. Cartridge inks are of course okay. In almost all cases identical to bottle inks. Only difference is the actual flow and/or intensity due to the length of time running from the cart through the section into the nib. But I'd just squeeze out a bit of ink firt, anyhow, and gently wipe off the nib before starting to write anthing.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for your reply Mike. I use a lot of the Herbin inks, but this one was a new one to me - I appreciate your advice on cartridges for the future.

I've found cartridges to be different than bottled ink but that was testing Private Reserve not J Herbin. It's nice to see cartridge ink tested here.

Toolattack, just to enlarge somewhat on the above, the only real difference I know of is the 'availability' and/or date/oldness/freshnessof the charge. Most, but not all companies sell more bottles than cartridges, and it may happen that when you buy a bottle or some cartridges, the date of release and/or the length of storage may vary considerably. Don't forget that the PVC (or whatever) used for the carts in contrast to the glass in bottles also has an effect on their "aging" and oxidation.

Mike :glare:

PS: I really like your user name :thumbup:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I've found cartridges to be different than bottled ink but that was testing Private Reserve not J Herbin.

I have a number of Private Reserve cartridges. What kind of differences did you find?

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Mike - very interesting, these are not points that I had ever considered, but they do make sense.

Thanks for your comment sarahfar - yes I agree, it does have an 'antique' look to it which must look great on old papers and in old books.

This is a favorite as I use Herbin quite a lot in my high end pens [virtually no staining]. I've noticed no difference between the bottle and cartridges in this brand. I go through them rather quickly, so it may be the turnover + a high volume ink seller [Goulet or WritersBlock] keep the cart stocks fresh. :thumbup:

Thanks Ghost Plane, I am interested you say you've noticed no difference between Herbin cartridges and bottled inks.

I will keep my consumption of these cartridges high and hopefully the quality will continue!