Sailor Kin-Mokusei

jgrasty

Review of Sailor Kin-Mokusei, an Autumn 2010 Limited Edition Ink.

I bought this amazing ink as a result of a review of three Sailor Autumn 2010 inks by Triplet Mom. I found a source in Japan, ordered this ink and two of the other LE inks, Yama-Dori and Oku-Yama, waited a seemingly endless time due to DHS security theater, and finally they arrived. I wrote the three reviews immediately, but I was completely unable to get a reasonable scan of this fascinating orange ink, Kin-Mokusei, with my Fujitsu ScanSnap page scanner. Finally, I got a new Epson V600 flatbed scanner, and was able to finally capture a good scan of this ink.

If you love the amazing shading properties of Noodler's Apache Sunset, you'll love this ink, too. It resembled Apache Sunset in that it has shading that ranges from yellow to orange to red. The main difference is that Kin-Mokusei is just a bit purer orange than Apache Sunset.

The key property of this ink is that the wetness of your pen controls the range of shading that you get. The first pen I used was a Waterman's 52 with a fine, wet, very flexible nib. This pen shows off the shading you get with a really wet nib. Shading with a wet nib is orange to red, with only a bit of yellow appearing every now and then.

The second pen is a Pelikan Shanghai with a B nib converted to cursive italic by Mike Masuyama. This nib is perfectly adjusted and shows the shading possible with a nib of normal wetness. Here you can see mostly orange, with a full range of shading from yellow to an orange with a touch of red showing here and there.

The third pen is a Waterman's 52-1/2V with a flexible needlepoint nib that is adjusted such that it can use only dry inks, such as traditional iron-gall inks like Diamine Registrar's Ink or Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa. Here, the shading is more subtle changes of orange, with a hint of yellow and red.

Kin-Mokusei is a little on the dry side as far as wetness, resembling iron-gall inks in that regard. The ink is very responsive, in that slowing down or speeding up your strokes will change the shading characteristics. It shades nicely even with fine nibs, which is unusual. The ink is not waterproof, though there is some resistance. Ink drying time is 15-30 seconds on Rhodia Dotpad. The ink doesn't feather, even on cheap copier paper.

I really like Sailor ink bottles. The bottle has a funnel, which, if you invert the bottle (cap on, of course :rolleyes: ), allows you to fill pens even when the level of ink in the bottle runs low. A really nice feature. The bottle contains 50 ml. This ink was purchased via Rakuten and paid 840 yen for the bottle, not including shipping from Japan.

Here is the scan. This is a pretty accurate representation of the ink, if anything, just a bit more saturated than the real thing. Click on the image to enlarge and take a look at the amazing shading of which this ink is capable.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/Sailor-Kin-Mokusei.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jgrasty

• Lloyd

• Sandy1

• swanjun

i'm jealous...:(

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

You have such GORGEOUS handwriting!!! I'm so happy my modest review inspired you to get this ink. Kin-mokusei is still my favorite orange ink of all-time for it's amazing color, shading, and how perfectly it performs in all of my pens. Your review has now inspired me to ink up my own vintage Waterman 52 1/2 and practice my flexible nib writing!

Warm regards,

Lynne

The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

Argh! I'm in such trouble. I had avoided oranges and burgundies until I saw this review and the Syrah review. Now I'm going to have to buy more ink. Oh yeah, now I think I need [cough, cough] an italic nib.

Y'all are killin' me! :)

Good review and wonderful handwriting, all kidding aside.

-=d

Gorgeous! Thanks for the beautiful handwriting!

I had a look at the other two inks you reviewed. The Oku-Yama is the first red ink that I can imagine I would use. Wow! :wub:

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones

• 4 years later...