#62 Cynergy

Cynergy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:19

I don't think I seen this mentioned... but when is the 850 due to be released?

Also please don't put those pin striped looking engravings on the barrel :(

At least make a minimal black version

Wondering if I should hold out buying a Diamond 540 until this comes out...

I like to ask the same : when is the 850 due to be released ?

Edited by Cynergy, 16 April 2012 - 09:19.

FESTINA LENTE

#63 RNHC

RNHC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:15

Looks great, but one question which keeps me from fully enjoying the 530/540:

Are you going to make it so it can be used and balanced properly when POSTED?

I don't want to buy another pen that doesn't allow use (& balanced properly) when posted.

This must be an uber-top secret issue. Quiet as a church mouse.

Nobody likes to deal with pushy people. Just sayin'. ;)

OK, not to be pushy, but I won't likely be buying one either if it doesn't post...

Just sayin' ;)

Ummm..... okay..... Thanks for letting everyone know. :rolleyes:

#64 ChesterBen

ChesterBen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 18:00

Speedy, it seems quite nice, I'm not sure about my feelings of the changeover between cap and barrel, I don't like it much, but it's subjective.
What I wonder is the weight, do you have an idea how many grams it will have?

Thanks

#65 b3ntpin

b3ntpin

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 18:06

That is absolutely stunning! I will have one! Oh yes, I will.
I will give up my fountain pen when they peel my cramped ink-stained fingers from around it!
Inkdrop member since March 2012.
Posted Image

#66 82Greg

82Greg

Most Unexalted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 23:54

Elegant design. Proud to have an original-batch TWSBI, but will need this one, also.

Yes, yes. Need it, that's what I keep telling myself and the other voices said I was crazy, but if someone else hears those voices and needs the fountain pens, I can't be crazy can I?

#67 mik86

mik86

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 00:37

Speaking with experience from my 540, I suggest...

1) Make the metal version a short version so it will be better balanced when posted.

2) Make the cap post to the body and not the knob so we don't accidentally twist the knob when unposting the cap.

Thanks! :)

Mike

#68 savingbirds

savingbirds

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:03

Impressive! Love to purchase one day!
“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”
Graham Greene

#69 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:30

Looks great, but one question which keeps me from fully enjoying the 530/540:

Are you going to make it so it can be used and balanced properly when POSTED?

I don't want to buy another pen that doesn't allow use (& balanced properly) when posted.

This must be an uber-top secret issue. Quiet as a church mouse.

Nobody likes to deal with pushy people. Just sayin'. ;)

OK, not to be pushy, but I won't likely be buying one either if it doesn't post...

Just sayin' ;)

Ummm..... okay..... Thanks for letting everyone know. :rolleyes:

The real point about my persistence is to keep reminding Speedy that ability to post the cap, and have the pen balanced is VERY important to a lot of people, and it did not happen with the 530 or 540 models.

You can keep trying to object or call us "posters" whatever names you want. We won't stop bringing up the issue--especially if a pen is in a design phase and Speedy is asking FPN members for feedback. Deal with it. :thumbup:
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#70 hoppes no9

hoppes no9

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:48

/nt

Edited by hoppes no9, 17 April 2012 - 16:34.

#71 hoppes no9

hoppes no9

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:48

Posted Image

[attachment=140258:do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg]

#72 mana

mana

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:12

Also please don't put those pin striped looking engravings on the barrel :(

At least make a minimal black version

This.

What's with the line bisecting the barrel and cap? Do they serve some function? They seem frivolous and, worse, disrupt the flow of the design.

And this.

I would love to see a plain version without the cuts & pinstripes. And if you do pinstripes, please, don't just treat half of the facets, all or nothing looks better than duo.

Btw. have you looked into 3D printing for the parts/bodies? I think this could be an excellent use case for it as it lends better to smaller objects, offers amazing precision and control over the design (meaning you can realize designs that are hard or even impossible with conventional manufacturing methods, think of weird geometries and skeletonized shapes) aaaand... you can do metals with it too. ;)

Of course additional work on the printed blanks produced would be required but still, the stuff that one can achieve with it is just amazing. Basically the only limit is your imagination and your ability to visualize the design using CAD (of course material costs too, a pen body printed in gold would still be a golden pen).

The other benefits include the fact that it doesn't really matter if you print just one or hundred. Completely custom, even one off designs could suddenly be within reach of the average buyer.

Here are a few 3D print design companies:
http://www.shapeways.com
http://www.freedomofcreation.com/
...now is the only thing that is real...

"Design is how it works"
Steve Jobs

#73 RNHC

RNHC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:33

The real point about my persistence is to keep reminding Speedy that ability to post the cap, and have the pen balanced is VERY important to a lot of people, and it did not happen with the 530 or 540 models.

You can keep trying to object or call us "posters" whatever names you want. We won't stop bringing up the issue--especially if a pen is in a design phase and Speedy is asking FPN members for feedback. Deal with it. :thumbup:

I don't post my pens so I don't care either way. I'm just saying you could have phrased your "input" in a better way, i.e., honey instead of vinegar. ;)

Also, if you didn't like 530 or 540, why are you still bothering with Twsbi? I would have moved on to a different brand already. :P

#74 anchorschmidt

anchorschmidt

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 13:08

I don't post my pens so I don't care either way. I'm just saying you could have phrased your "input" in a better way, i.e., honey instead of vinegar. ;)

Also, if you didn't like 530 or 540, why are you still bothering with Twsbi? I would have moved on to a different brand already. :P

The TWSBI mini is designed to be posted.

#75 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 13:28

OK, so after wanting feedback, because the feedback doesn't please you, those who want to be able to post their pens, (in line with the majority of pen users) should abandon the TWSBI brand?

Speedy wanted feedback from the community about how his pens, so he could tailor them to user's wants and needs. Being able to post the cap IS valid feedback. BTW I like the 530, but the lack of a post-able cap limits usability of the pen for me.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#76 Calbei

Calbei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 13:55

Yes yes yes yes yes! :notworthy1:

I'm a sucker for black pens, and if the cap end looks as it does in the pictures/renderings, it'll be my first TWSBI. I've been put off in the past by the bright red cap jewel.

#77 RNHC

RNHC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 15:01

OK, so after wanting feedback, because the feedback doesn't please you, those who want to be able to post their pens, (in line with the majority of pen users) should abandon the TWSBI brand?

Speedy wanted feedback from the community about how his pens, so he could tailor them to user's wants and needs. Being able to post the cap IS valid feedback. BTW I like the 530, but the lack of a post-able cap limits usability of the pen for me.

Uh... okay... Thanks again for letting us know. :rolleyes:

You do know that I am not Speedy... that I didn't ask for nor care about your feedback, right?

#78 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,987 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 17:41

1) Make the metal version a short version so it will be better balanced when posted.

2) Make the cap post to the body and not the knob so we don't accidentally twist the knob when unposting the cap.

Mike

I don't post my pens, but I think threads on the body to screw the cap onto when posting would be a nice feature. This makes posting more secure, and reduces the chances that posting will scratch the body or crack the cap lip.

#79 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 19:02

Mike

I don't post my pens, but I think threads on the body to screw the cap onto when posting would be a nice feature. This makes posting more secure, and reduces the chances that posting will scratch the body or crack the cap lip.

I think this pen will be large (~ 140mm caped), like 530-540, M800, MB146, HS Maxi, or oversized (~146mm), like M1000, MB149, Vac700 (~146mm). And threads on the bottom of the body will be really nice.

I like my 530, but I've never realized a pen (piston filler) in which the cap can be posted on the knob. 530-540 is the first!

#80 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:13

Uh... okay... Thanks again for letting us know. :rolleyes:

You do know that I am not Speedy... that I didn't ask for nor care about your feedback, right?

OK, Then why did you post to begin with??? I also happen to like my TWO 530s... Feedback is aimed at Speedy, you don't count!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#81 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:45

The only vinegar I see being dispensed is your comments and assessments of how others should word their suggestions/questions....and continuing to do so as others express wanting the same thing.

Apparently that is the difference between you and me. Other than not being able to effectively cap post in a balanced manner, there is a lot to like and appreciate about TWSBI's work. Not that it will make any difference to you, but this is a thread seeking member feedback for a product design.

As such, I want my preference for being able to effectively post the cap to get noticed by Speedy before the design is done.

Deal with it. :W2FPN:
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#82 Miles R.

Miles R.

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 14:59

Hear, hear!

#83 Salerno_AFG

Salerno_AFG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:43

Great looking pen and I really appreciatte the metal design being in the Military and needing a very tough exterior for my fountain pens. I also like the brushed look to hide the many scratches it will reciee here in AFG. Maybe if I get enough of them it will enhance my ballistic protection, like secondary armor plates. Price point?
**************************************************************************************
Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution
**************************************************************************************

#84 UK Mike

UK Mike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 13:51

I really, REALLY hope that the pen will balance perfectly UNPOSTED. I haven't posted the cap since I was 15 years old and found out that it adversely affected my writing. I am now 62 years.

Now hurry up TWSBI - we have cash waiting! :drool:
Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

#85 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:19

Hear, hear!

Ditto Sam and Miles. Perhaps a lighter cap. That would be the ticket. That cap is a heavy sucker.

#86 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• 3,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:25

I'm a poster.

Just thought I'd throw that in just in case the level of member annoyance towards one another was dropping off unnecessarily...... ;)

Edited by Aysedasi, 23 December 2012 - 18:25.

#87 Salerno_AFG

Salerno_AFG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:49

The use of Titanium would be a great LE run in different anodized colors
Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution

#88 paultyler_82

paultyler_82

Mimsy Borogrove

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:56

i am looking a this again and do not like the metal thread section, metal vs metal threads may cause corrosion for prolonged use.

Galvanic corrosion happens only if the two parts are made from dissimilar metals and are kept in contact in an electrolyte.

Galvanic corrosion doesn't require an electrolyte to be willfully introduced... depending on the reactions of the materials with each other, atmospheric or other passive sources of an electrolyte are enough to cause a reaction of enough severity to cause concern. The mating at edge of raw Carbon Fiber and Aluminum are an example of such a reaction, enough that designs should be carefully planned so that the two don't ever touch.
I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good. - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

#89 Felix1

Felix1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:10

Any more feedback on this pen?

Having traveled extensively throughout Asia and Europe on business for many years, my unscientific observations indicate that a majority (albeit not a large majority) of Americans post their fountain pens while users in the other two aforementioned continents don't to any large degree.

Unless this pen is being redesigned primarily for the American market, I wouldn't expect the pen's balance to be optimized for writing while posted.
I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

#90 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 18:17

Felix,
I would agree with your statement. The cap of the 540 is very heavy, much like the Cross Townsend's. Couple that with the sheer length of the 540 and its very unbalanced. The Vac is much the same, a bit better but still unbalanced. There are two advantages for posting for me. One does not lose the cap, and the pen doesn't roll off your desk.

TWSBI makes good pens; but my guess is that future pens will post well, but not balance well, not at this price point.

Side note: I've balanced my 540 by taking the clip off the pen.