You should have some sort of magnifier to see the details for optimal results. I like using a Donegan Head set with #4 magnifier lens. You look pretty cool wearing these around the house. I placed the feed on a hard surface and made the cut straight down at a slight angle which you can see.
Here is the before image appearance, and also my nib/feed placement in the pen section holder. (click on these thumbnails)
Notice in the "before" image of the feed that many of the vents do not go all the way into the top longitudinal center channel. In contrast all of the vents on both sides are fully cut and open into the bottom center channel.
I don't know if this is important, as there seems to be a nice "puddle" of ink surrounding all around the nib and feed before I did any modification, but if I wrote repeated long lines while flexing down, eventually I would get railroading, followed by a period of stopped ink flow which I wanted to fix. This also shows how the top vents are not EXACTLY lined up across from each other as they are on the bottom. Obviously, these are hand cut, and I doubt it matters.
Now I did just a couple of vent enlargements. This was very easy and quick to do. You can even note my time stamps on the photos if you are interested which was real time. I wanted to go easy and test it. I am using Noodler's new Purple Heart ink exclusive from Goulet Pens which I love the color and symbolism of it.
You have to make sure you gently use either the back of the blade, or a toothpick to clean out any loose pieces of ebonite. I also blasted with a couple shots of canned compressed air. I also rinsed the feed under faucet and used my dog's (old) toothbrush to clean out the vents. Once I refilled with ink, I saw an improvement, but still needed a bit more ink juice to be happy. So I took it out and cut these, and the result was PERFECT. Exactly the wet, juicy flow with no railroading that I was seeking. Also no drops coming out, but I could see that much more hacking and it might become a dripper.
One other tip before I refilled it after the cuts below, I pressed the nib tip from reverse side to bend the nib down just a hair so it had better contact with the feed, after all my aggressive flex testing. That made a big difference too. This final view shows what works magnificently after writing 3 pages of text and doodles with no problems.
Edited by SamCapote, 04 December 2011 - 08:48.