#61 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:36

I found this post at Pentrace, where an email by Pengallery was mentioned saying essentially, that Nakaya and Pengallery have ended their cooperation due to differences.
http://members2.boar...1166102778.html

#62 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:19

I was for the longest admiring the Aka-Tamenuri and debating over its price, for it would have been the most expensive payed pen in my collection. But, Pen Gallery offered a clip cigar one for a slightly cheaper price and being December, I said "what the heck"!
The pen is HUGE but it is so light and well-balanced that the size does not present any problems at all! The lacquering is astounding, especially when looked under a light source; there is no leveling between the cap and the barrel but you can notice the separation because there is a degradation in the hue of the lacquering.
I chose a medium "Elastic" nib; single-toned for it was the only available. The flex is a dream to write with and it gives a beautiful wet line; only one problem: do not use on cheap paper for I think this is the culprit of slightly separating the tines!!!!
Still, it writes beautifully except a bit scratchy, which originally it was very smooth.
I admire daily this pen, even if I'm not using it. It is definately a well-executed pen and worth of owning (if you can afford it!!!)
:bunny1:

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#63 steersbylitning

steersbylitning

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 14:38

Great review and photos, Laura!

I have one of these pens (although mine is black) and absolutely love it. I had one of the bigger Nakayas and didn't find it fitting my hand, but this one is just perfect, and is one of my most-used pens. I really love writing with it.

One of these days (when I've got money again) I'll order a new one in a different finish.
That could be a while, so I'll just keep enjoying what I've got.

Debbie

#64 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:12

Hi Laura, great review. I want one of these pens. I was wondering if you had any larger pens that you could take a picture to compare. Like a Pelikan 800.

Thanks.

#65 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• 2,353 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:26

Hi cmenice - Sorry, but I am a small-pen gal, the longest pen I own is a Sheaffer Snorkel... smile.gif

The Piccolo is only marginally longer - but has more girth - than a Pelikan M400. If you find them too small, the Piccolo won't be for you. You may feel more comfortable with a Nakaya in the Portable size.
Laura / Phthalo
Fountain Pens: My Collection · My Weblog · My Flickr Gallery
Follow me on Twitter: @Phthalo

#66 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2006 - 21:36

Thanks, that should be helpful.

#67 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:25

QUOTE(cmenice @ Dec 28 2006, 03:12 AM)
Hi Laura, great review. I want one of these pens. I was wondering if you had any larger pens that you could take a picture to compare. Like a Pelikan 800.

Thanks.

I don't have the pelikan 800 but the New Parker 51 and a Montegrappa, which are really medium to large pens.

sonia alvarez

#68 MYU

MYU

... Gravity is the key to it all ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 20:17

Laura, what a fabulous review! I really enjoyed the way you wrote about the Nakaya Piccolo--you were thorough and very much conveyed the feeling of the pen. Also, you took beautiful photographs--very professional and well thought out. Nice!! biggrin.gif

Wow, I *want* one of these Nakaya pens. I wish I'd known about the sale at PenGallery in December... apparently they no longer sell Nakaya, so that may be why they were discounting their trickling stock. sad.gif

Alas, I have maxed out on my pen purchases for a while, at least until I unload some of my collection. A Nakaya is next on the dream list! rolleyes.gif
Posted Image
[MYU's Pen Review Corner]

"The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#69 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2007 - 20:31

I find myself visiting this post and the Nakaya home page on a regular basis, say about once a day. The fit and finish evident from your very fine photos speak volumes and I am closer all the time to getting one. When I have the spare bucks I will have one, very similar if not the same as yours. Very nice review, too nice, it makes me drool. drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif

#70 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2007 - 20:43

that is one awesome looking pen wink.gif
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#71 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,527 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 21:11

Laura, that was an excellent narrative review. Lots of photos and your description really captured the feel of the pen. Thanks.

#72 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• 2,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:26

I love that so many people enjoy this review and find it useful!

I will be buying another two Nakaya pens later this year - they are superb. smile.gif
Laura / Phthalo

#73 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 10,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:20

Where can I find distributors of Nakaya in France? How much is the retail price of a normal writer pen?

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 10 February 2007 - 10:23.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#74 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• 2,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:49

There are no distributors, I believe. There was a distributor in Malaysia (Pen Gallery), but no longer. There haven’t been other distributors elsewhere as far as I’m aware.

Each pen is handmade, so they are essentially semi-custom pens. They will work with you to ensure the pen suits your writing needs. You place your order and work with the Nakaya team directly, via the Nakaya website and email - all prices and ordering information is on the site. smile.gif

http://www.nakaya.org/

Edited by Phthalo, 10 February 2007 - 11:51.

Laura / Phthalo

#75 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 10,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:19

Thanks for the information I appreciate it
Posted Image

#76 MYU

MYU

• Member - Gold

• 4,951 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:50

QUOTE(Phthalo @ Feb 10 2007, 06:49 AM)
You place your order and work with the Nakaya team directly, via the Nakaya website and email - all prices and ordering information is on the site. smile.gif

Hi Laura - when you say "you work with the Nakaya team directly", what does this entail? Do they ask you a series of pen usage related questions, such as writing style, pen size preference, nib preference, etc.? I take it that they have a certain amount of work already done, such as a base coating of urushi on a highly polished base, and that they then finish the rest according to requests?

I'll have to bet that we will very rarely see used Nakaya pens for sale, at least for quite some time. After all, once a pen is custom made for you, why would you ever want to sell it? cool.gif
Posted Image

#77 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• 2,353 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:07

When you order from the website, there is a detailed form which you fill out, and most of the nib tuning is done from that. If you request a somewhat exotic nib, maybe an elastic variant, they may ask some additional questions, and you kind of go back and forth via e-mail until you are both happy.

In regard to completely custom finished pens - it seems the sky is the limit. Just check out the Special Order section. You start with a base model, and just build from there. smile.gif

A better person to ask would be Ruud (aka rhk) - check out his custom Nakaya story here: http://members2.boar...1165684848.html
(I think maybe only Pentrace members can access these older messages.)

Paging Ruud... smile.gif

Edited by Phthalo, 14 February 2007 - 03:10.

Laura / Phthalo

#78 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:29

ohmy.gif
Oh Christ! I 'd forgotten I had already posted here ohmy.gif ...time to sleep!
Anyways, the photos are very nice to look and look again! biggrin.gif

Edited by alvarez57, 14 February 2007 - 04:37.

sonia alvarez

#79 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:32

I had the clip version for I like to see a clip in my pen.

Big photo ahead!

Edited by alvarez57, 14 February 2007 - 04:32.

sonia alvarez

#80 MYU

MYU

• Member - Gold

• 4,951 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 21:48

Thanks, Laura. I took a look at that order form--wow, they really go into a lot of detail! It makes it difficult to decide on a nib as there are so many choices.

Unfortunately the link to Ruud's story isn't coming up. But Pentrace does have a number of interesting Nakaya articles.

Ruud--if you're reading this, maybe you can post your Nakaya article in the Review section of FPN?
Posted Image

#81 Escribiente

Escribiente

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:36

This was a great review. So much so, that it helped my decision to get a Piccolo. I got one with a medium nib, which writes like a European wet fine. The picture is not great, but here it is:

user posted image

#82 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• 2,353 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:00

Beautiful! I hope you're enjoying it. smile.gif
Laura / Phthalo

#83 bluemax

bluemax

bluemax

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2007 - 22:12

Laura, great review.

Just got mailed by Nakaya. They've said they're shipping me my Equilibrium biggrin.gif

Based on the comments here, I really do hope i'm in for a treat. Guess I'd better add a review too when I get mine.

regards

bren

#84 rhk

rhk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 15:59

QUOTE (MYU @ Feb 16 2007, 09:48 PM)
Thanks, Laura. I took a look at that order form--wow, they really go into a lot of detail! It makes it difficult to decide on a nib as there are so many choices.

Unfortunately the link to Ruud's story isn't coming up. But Pentrace does have a number of interesting Nakaya articles.

Ruud--if you're reading this, maybe you can post your Nakaya article in the Review section of FPN?

I have posted the review from pentrace (thanks to Frits B.). I am sorry if too many people have seen this already. Ruud

#85 coax

coax

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 19:52

Just received my Nakaya kuro-tamenuri extra-fine Piccolo, and what a wonderful pen it is. Though a bit on the dry side, with a light hand it lays down an extremely fine line, and with normal pressure I finally have a fountain pen that I can use to write Kanji without it becoming something that looks like a Rorschach test.

#86 spilled ink

spilled ink

Spilled Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:00

Laura,great review!The pen is gorgeous.How would you compare it to the MYU?I have one arriving this week and am really becoming enamored with Japanese pens.

#87 spilled ink

spilled ink

Spilled Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:33

I went to the Nakaya order form and under Piccolo there is a choice of black or other color.Where do you specify the other color i.e Urushi?

#88 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• 2,353 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:35

Select Piccolo from the list, then in the field directly below that section (for "Special order" etc), type the name of the Urushi colour finish you would like. smile.gif

Comparing the Piccolo to the MYU is like apples to oranges... so not really sure what you are asking here. Nib-wise, the Pilot F on my MYU writes about the same width as my Nakaya EF, but the feedback is quite different. The entire writing experience is different... balance, weight, etc.

Both are excellent pens, I wouldn't part with either. I'm very pleased with how perfect the finish remains –a quick wipe with a cloth and the Piccolo always looks like new!

I usually have a MYU or the Piccolo with me at work each day – I never let the Piccolo out of my sight, and it travels in my top pocket. My uniform already has neon-yellow high-visibility tape across the chest, so I'm hardly concerned with the largish Piccolo drawing attention! wink.gif
Laura / Phthalo

#89 Ged

Ged

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:03

Green with envy doesn't begin to describe me. Such beautiful looking pens. My own experience with much lesser Japanese nibs makes me want to squeal like a little kid at how much better the Nakaya nibs must be!

Beautiful pens, congrats to everyone who owns one! Time to convince people to give me one as a graduation present biggrin.gif

#90 spilled ink

spilled ink

Spilled Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 00:56

After placing an order how long does it take until the pen is built and you actually take ownership?