Parker Ingenuity

Scrawler

The Parker Ingenuity is not actually a fountain pen, but is made to look like one. Parker call this a "5th Generation" writing instrument. As there is no other option, I will post it here, and if the moderators think it belongs elsewhere, then I invite them to move it.

My review is in the form of a PDF, so you will need to download it to read it.

Ingenuity.pdf

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• watch_art

• richardandtracy

• Korybas

not my kind of pen but thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Wow. What an incredible and thorough review.

Thanks!

Thanks for saying so. There will be a follow up in a couple months when it has been the workhorse for a university student.

not my kind of pen but thanks for the review

Not mine either. I was clear to state my dislike of throwaway items and I tried not to let that get in the way of being fair and thorough.

I'm glad one of us has it in a long-term test programme. That is a cracking good review; I'm a little abashed to have put my rush to judgement out in public, now.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I'm glad one of us has it in a long-term test programme. That is a cracking good review; I'm a little abashed to have put my rush to judgement out in public, now.

Ernst, this is only my part of it. I am going to giving it to 2hearts who will do her part. If she likes the pen I will give it to her. If not it will be on the PIF pages. The long part of it was waiting for the inks to bleach, though it was a fun toy to take out and about to let others try and solicit their thoughts. I will not have it long enough to test how long the clip will last, and I did not want to scratch the gold plate off to see how thick and resistant it was. If I did not have plans to pass it on, I would have done this and reported on the strength of the plate and the lacquer as well.

Thanks for the review. I've played around with one of these pens...errr...writing instruments. I don't get it. I get felt tips, fountain pens, ball points, roller balls, markers, pencils, etc. This, I don't get. Why disguise a felt tip as a fake fountain pen? Maybe just to charge a premium price. Strange pen. They do have fancy display stands though what with their own stationary and test pen.

Super review. :thumbup:

I was very dismissive of this pen when I first saw it. After reading this review, I have to admit that it seems like there is a niche for this pen. It's not my style, but I wish Parker success with this. Anything that sparks interest in pens is a positive in my book.

I tried one at Webster's Pen shop last weekend.

It invites direct comparisons with FP's due to its shape etc. It writes just like an FP, feels like an FP and looks like one. So why not get one instead? The refills will be cheaper, more economical and ecologically aware. Doh, can't be bothered with it as there seems to be negligible advantage over an FP for something that comes with some possible significant disadvantages.

And where are the italic refills?

Flexy refills?

Turquoise refills?

Nice review, and thanks for being so objective about your views.

Regards,

Richard.

I tried one at Webster's Pen shop last weekend.

It invites direct comparisons with FP's due to its shape etc. It writes just like an FP, feels like an FP and looks like one. So why not get one instead? The refills will be cheaper, more economical and ecologically aware. Doh, can't be bothered with it as there seems to be negligible advantage over an FP for something that comes with some possible significant disadvantages.

And where are the italic refills?

Flexy refills?

Turquoise refills?

Nice review, and thanks for being so objective about your views.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard, objectivity is important, because I have admitted a marked dislike for disposable writing tips. I have also admitted that this pen is not for me, but that it does have a valid place in the writing spectrum. I can only judge by the ink I have and the tip I have. There are no signs that this pen will come with colours other than blue or black. I suspect that some people will take an Xacto knife to the tip to experiment (I will be doing this). How did you know that I like turquoise ink ( :thumbup: ). I do plan a follow up after the ink has had a good chance to bleach and I have input for its use as a students daily writer. It is the ready availability of refills that is my main concern right now, because I have almost emptied mine and I want it to be full when I hand it on.

You all must have tried better pens than I. When I tried one (well, two different ones) I thought it felt like a felt tipped marker. I've not used any fountain pens that feel like that unless the tip is rough or something. Bluh...

You all must have tried better pens than I. When I tried one (well, two different ones) I thought it felt like a felt tipped marker. I've not used any fountain pens that feel like that unless the tip is rough or something. Bluh...

I would offer to send you the refill I have been using so that you can assess the same item I evaluated, but it is almost empty. I will carefully observe refills that I buy and report on them in my long term follow up.

Very nice review on a very bizar pen. Loved your Akkerman inkbottles :bunny01:

" Go with the inkflow, my friend "

Very impressive, however if I wanted a felt pen I would buy one for a lot less. I have yet to understand why Parker would disguise a felt pen into a fountain pen..... Either it is or it's not and that one is not. Sometime companies create the weirdest products...

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known." ~ Winnie the Pooh

Thanks for the thorough review, I enjoyed it very much! Good job! :thumbup:

However, it convinced me not to buy this pen; its not my cup of tea, I am afraid! This fake FP-looking nib is a real joke, in my opinion! :angry:

Why would I buy a pen that "looks like" a FP, with no flex or line variation, is beyond my comprehension...

Anyway, I would stay away from Parker of today, as far as I am able - and then some!

I am very happy with my "51" and my Duofold of old...

At least they are true FPs . If I wanted it otherwise, I would buy a rollerball or a gel pen...

Edited by Korybas
fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

I really enjoyed your most thorough review. Not sure I'll be buying one, but I feel I now know what they are all about...which is great :thumbup:

Regards,

Paul