Lamy Safari

watch_art

After seeing the White Safari vs. Prera review the other day I had to get one. I had never seen a white Safari and wow is it nice looking.

I got mine with a medium nib - writes more like a fine - which is okay since I've set this pen aside for Bad Green Gator which is a really wet ink. Such a smooth nib.

Being white though, every spec of dirt shows up. First day at school with it I thought I had either scratched it or cracked it. No. That's just dirt in one of the lines from the molding machines. Ugh. :)

I flushed it clean and loaded it right up with this green ink. Friggin awesome.

I forgot how much I liked the Safari - since giving away my converted charcoal safari (converted to an eyedropper). It's nice to have one again.

Bought it from Vanness Pens. :thumbup:

My new camera came in today and I've been playing with it. Amazing macro and low light capability!

Construction and Quality-

Fantastic. Very well built pen. Low weight and the larger size is perfect for me.

Design-

Love the design. I like the section shape and love the flats on the barrel. When drawing a certain way I rest my thumb on top of the top flat of the barrel and sort of sketch thataway. If that makes any sense. LOVE the clip on this thing. Functional and pretty.

Nib-

Nice and smooth medium. And easy to swap with other sizes. That's a plus right there.

Filling-

Cart/converter. I've started liking these more and more as I buy fountain pens. If something goes wrong you just throw it away and buy a new one. Do they hold a ton of ink? Not really. Do I care? Nope. Easy to flush? Of course.

Price-

Great price!

-Conclusion-

GO BUY ONE!

gallery_41188_9_51511.jpg

gallery_41188_9_31813.jpg

gallery_41188_9_29846.jpg

gallery_41188_9_5327.jpg

gallery_41188_9_22147.jpg

gallery_41188_9_40038.jpg

And a couple size comparison pics - with pens you've probably never handled.

:)

gallery_41188_9_103535.jpg

gallery_41188_9_38309.jpg

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• John the Monkey

• Snarf

• czanguine

Funny thing is.....I did the same :P

I got a white lamy safari with a 1.1mm nib and it really does look so much more stunning in contrast to all my other dark colored pens.

I love it! Did the green ink come off ok?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have a white one too. Although it's not the one I use daily. Mainly because as you mentioned it gets stained a lot. Thank goodness the stains don't stay on the ABS plastic. Good buy.

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

One thing I've noticed that works great on removing stains on a pen like this are alcohol swabs. Paper towels and stuff simply dry ink like these off, but some residue usually remains. If you use the alcohol swab within a few minutes things come off real easy :eureka:

Looking good :)

I don't think I can carry off the white Safari, so I complemented my Black Safari (M) & Blue Al-Star (1.1) with a Vista (EF) :)

If you like these sort of tough, cheap, knockaround pens, the Schneider Base is worth a look, imo (assuming you've not already tried one).

Thanks for the review, I am thinking about purchasing one of these for a cheaper school pen. I was thinking about a nice bright yellow pen but the white looks nice!

thanx for the review, Shawn!

i have 4 safaris, including the white one. but my fav color is the charcoal! :embarrassed_smile:

PS. actually my fav color safari is the orange, but i don't have that one........ yet! hard to find and when you do... expensive... for me, anyways! :crybaby:

As ever, it's always refreshing to see a well known pen being put through its paces in the rough n ready real world of the Artful Watcher happyberet.gif

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

the Schneider Base is worth a look, imo (assuming you've not already tried one).

Ewwww.

I don't think I could live with the clip. If not for that it would be a pretty good looking little pen.

As ever, it's always refreshing to see a well known pen being put through its paces in the rough n ready real world of the Artful Watcher happyberet.gif

If a pen can make it HERE, it can make it ANY where! :roflmho:

One white Safari is not enough! I'm up to two and still hankering (EF and F nibs). It's a fun pen to fill with really vivid inks.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

the Schneider Base is worth a look, imo (assuming you've not already tried one).

Ewwww.

I don't think I could live with the clip. If not for that it would be a pretty good looking little pen.

Ha! If you think the Lamy clips are sturdy...

I like the "S" shape, personally, and by golly it's a strong clip too.

The white looks really nice. I saw a stormtrooper LE once and it was even nicer. (White with black hardware.)

The matte finishes seem to resist scrapes and stuff a little better though. Compared to the glossy ones I used to own, the matte charcoal I use looks pretty new despite living in my jeans on a daily basis.

• 1 year later...

I'm also in love with Safaris and I'm thinking about getting a Lamy Safari in white. Only thing holding me back is that you know how white stuff easily turns yellow and as some of our members here mentioned, it may get stained/discolored easily. I really love white though (I have a white iPod, white phones). Advice?

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

I'm also in love with Safaris and I'm thinking about getting a Lamy Safari in white. Only thing holding me back is that you know how white stuff easily turns yellow and as some of our members here mentioned, it may get stained/discolored easily. I really love white though (I have a white iPod, white phones). Advice?

Don't be concerned with the staining. I've not had any problems with that even using Noodler's 54th Mass. Ink wipes right off. As to the yellowing, I have not had my white Safari long enough to comment.

It sure is a striking looking pen however.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be concerned with the staining. I've not had any problems with that even using Noodler's 54th Mass. Ink wipes right off. As to the yellowing, I have not had my white Safari long enough to comment.

It sure is a striking looking pen however.

I know it's a little late, but hope not too late, still...

I got a Vector instead. Didn't like how the Lamy Safari tester at the store had a crack splitting the barrel in half.

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza