Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Noodler's Ahab Flex Pen

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#211 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 14:17

OOh. if the fins are cut all the way to the top channel, that might be the problem. THe way the instructions make it look, they shouldn't extend to the channel.

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#212 Oliwerko

Oliwerko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 14:48

Really? From both the leaflet AND the photos SamCapote has on the first page of this thread, I reckon these are cut to the channel alright. He even mentions it in this thread:

"If I hold the breather tube, and look down at the top channel, I see that all of the fin vents are cut all the way into the top channel on the left side, but not all have the fin vents are cut through to the top channel on the right side. I also notice that the left and right top fin vent slits are not exactly lined up, and my guess is they are cutting each semicircle side separately."

The same applies for me. The left side is cut to the channel, and the right side isn't. Actually, the left-side cuts continue even on the other side of the channel, i.e. as if the imaginary "ring cut" forming the fins was twisted in one direction.

But from what Sam wrote and what I saw on the photos I thought this was all right. Anyway, after trying it again tonight, provided it won't work I have not much left apart from sending it back to Brian for a replacement, do I?

#213 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 15:22

Oh. My bad.

Edited by watch_art, 21 December 2011 - 15:30.

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#214 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 15:47

So railroading....

Does it do this all the time? Even with different (wetter) inks?

Are you pushing it from XF/F to B or BBBB?
The farther and harder you push it, the higher the chance of railroading. Also, when flexing you should go slower so ink can keep up.

#215 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 17:30

Take a look at these two threads.

http://www.fountainp...ts-with-photos/

http://www.fountainp...an-mr-noodlers/
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#216 Oliwerko

Oliwerko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 17:47

I've not been flexing more than to a ~1mm width. Sam, thanks for the links. I did read the first thread but didn't know of the second one. Now I see that maybe the only thing left for me will be opening the vents.

On my feed, the whole left side is drilled to the channel, and NO fins on the right extend to the channel. So I guess (if the pen won't work) I would be opening one (or a few) of them? How many?

Also, is it better to fiddle with the feed this way, or to send it back for replacement if it doesn't work in any nib/feed position? I mean, there's no warranty for modified feeds and once I modify it and it still doesn't work, I'll have to buy another Ahab. Which I will probably do anyway one day, but I'm not feeling like doing it today...

#217 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 18:20

Something else you could try - that I forgot to mention, is extending the ink channel closer to the tip of the feed - without actually cutting the tip of the feed. This way ink will be farther forward on the feed and can feed the nib better. I did this on mine.

#218 belia

belia

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 18:46

Something else you could try - that I forgot to mention, is extending the ink channel closer to the tip of the feed - without actually cutting the tip of the feed. This way ink will be farther forward on the feed and can feed the nib better. I did this on mine.

That's actually a very good idea that I'd never thought of, . . . . seems like you could effective change the relative feed to nib relationship without moving either, . . . brilliant!

#219 Oliwerko

Oliwerko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:37

Okay, so I flushed it once more after it was being soaked for the whole day, then I let it dry thoroughly. Inked with Waterman Florida Blue, wrote fine for half a page, great flow for many fast wide strokes, no problems. Then it stopped. Just like that. And it refuses to write from that point, it gives me no flow whatsoever.

I'm puzzled. I didn't do anything but clean the thing once more today, and it writes worse than before. It looks as if there was dirt or something blocking the way, but I cleaned it most thoroughly.

Now the question is - what to do? Do you suggest opening the some (how many?) vents? Or to better ask for a replacement?

EDIT:

Actually, there is *some* flow, but it's soooo slow that if I do a short wide stroke, it stops, and only after a minute or two it writes again. I can write fine lines with no flow interruption though.

Edited by Oliwerko, 21 December 2011 - 19:42.

#220 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:40

Take a look at these two threads. ...

Sam, while all of your pics and notes are superb and useful, this also exemplifies why Nathan needs to take several high quality close ups and write some explicit notes about all of this. The sketches that came with the pens are ok, but really only to give people some hints on how to tweak a well functioning pen --- not how to make it function right.

I, for one, would love to see some nice well lit photos showing all of the right things to do (e.g. It seemed from what you wrote about your talk with Nathan that some of your cutting wasn't what he intended folks to do).

Please do pass this on to Nathan not as a gripe, but as a request.
--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#221 Oliwerko

Oliwerko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:53

This is really weird now... After having stopped, I let it sit for a while. Then I tried drawing fine line circles. I ran for about half a page with no problems. Then I did a shaded stroke, and after 2-3mm - whoosh. The flow was gone. Not even a hairline.

#222 scribblescrabble

scribblescrabble

ScribbleScrabble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 22:00

This is really weird now... After having stopped, I let it sit for a while. Then I tried drawing fine line circles. I ran for about half a page with no problems. Then I did a shaded stroke, and after 2-3mm - whoosh. The flow was gone. Not even a hairline.

I have discovered something with my Noodler's Ahabs. I have to run off to church for this evening's service (I'm the pastor; they'd notice if I wasn't there!).

I have 3 Ahabs--one of which isn't inked. I plan to start a new thread about what I've discovered. I think it is quite interesting and very "against the grain."

I'm a fountain pen novice. So, you may want to view my discovery with some skepticism, which is fine with me. All I know is that I've done this to two of my Ahabs (the inked ones) and it makes a WORLD of difference for the better.

Gotta run...I'll post a long article later.

Blessings,

ScribbleScrabble
ScribbleScrabble: Because My Handwriting is Just That Bad!
The Fountain Pen: An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

I Write With:

An assortment of Parker "51"s and Levenger True Writers;
Bexley Corona (Summer Sunset); TWSBI (Diamond 540 Clear Demonstrator);
Laban Meno (Celebration Shell); Esterbrook (Black with 2556-Fine Writing Nib)

#223 tanalasta

tanalasta

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:42

Not just you! It happens to me too ... it appears that the flow is a little inconsistent and the feed will resaturate when left to sit for a while.
In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)
In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

#224 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:45

So weird. I haven't had any of those problems. Have you used more than just soapy water mixes to clean it with? Ammonia water plus a heavy duty scrub is a good idea in this case, I think.

#225 GSteer

GSteer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:53

Got my two Ahabs from the Goulets today. Excellent service, as always. Thanks, Brian and Rachel.

Since I'm crazy about lapis pens, I got one in lapis inferno and one in medieval lapis. Didn't bother to change the o-rings, though I got a set of the new ones. It took me about three minutes of twisting and tugging to get the piston loosened on the lapis inferno pen. Then I sucked up five loads of water mixed with ammonia and Palmolive dish soap, followed by five loads of clear water. Filled the pen with Noodler's Eel Blue, and it wrote perfectly. (We won't mention that the ink bottle was badly behaved because only half full and turned my hands blue, will we? Not the pen's fault.)

Then it was time for the mediieval lapis pen. I got the piston loose on this one in only a couple of seconds and went through the same routine to clean it as the other pen. Filled it with Black Swan in Australian Roses, and it wrote normally, then stopped, putting down only a trace of a line, then laid down too much ink, then blobbed on the page, then stopped again, then wrote again. Hmmmmm! I guess this one needs more TLC. After I write it out, I'll pull the nib and feed and "brush their teeth."

Very odd. Two nearly identical pens with such different results. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied though. I've had more trouble from pens that cost 10 times as much.

P.S. These pens don't smell nearly as bad as the smaller Noodler's flex pens, let alone the kings of stink: my two Wality piston fillers.

Yeah that's the exact behavior related to the lubricant and/or ebonite particles interfering mainly with the top air channel, and Nathan believes mostly right over the perpendicular breather blow hole. When an air bubble meets the lubricant, it is held back (towards the nib tip end), then likely suddenly builds up enough pressure to get the bubble suddenly moving and overcoming the "lube block" resulting in that blob of ink. Another suggestion Nathan had in addition to brushing with a toothbrush (paying especial attention to that blow hole), was to lightly drag an X-acto or utility blade knife to scrape along the length of that top air channel a couple times.

I made it clear to him that people who have never taken a nib/feed out of a pen, let alone worked with ebonite just have no experience with any of this, so there is a learning curve. This hands on tinkering was one of his goals to empower people to know and take care of their own pen like many used to do decades ago.

Looks like I've got the same problem too. Flushed it (clear demonstrator) yesterday with the suggested soapy solution - removed the nib / feed with a faintly amazed look on my face which read "so that's what's in there" before filling it with Black Swan in AR - played with it and experienced just what's been described above. Allthough when it works - oh boy - I've just discovered flex and I like it. A lot.

I'll empty it and clean more throughly later to see if it improves. Going to have to read up on feeds to figure out how to slow it down too. It lays out the Black Swan so thickly that I'd never be able to use it in a journal, you can feel the raised ink on the page once it's dried.
"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

#226 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:03

Scribble, I look forward to your feedback--very much in fact.

GSteer, remember to consider that in some cases, people may have flexed their nib a bit much, and some problems may improve with SLOWLY, CAREFULLY, STEPWISE pressing the other side of the nib against a tablet to bend it back down an almost imperceptible amount may give better proximity to the feed and flow.
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#227 GSteer

GSteer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:42

Scribble, I look forward to your feedback--very much in fact.

GSteer, remember to consider that in some cases, people may have flexed their nib a bit much, and some problems may improve with SLOWLY, CAREFULLY, STEPWISE pressing the other side of the nib against a tablet to bend it back down an almost imperceptible amount may give better proximity to the feed and flow.

I'll remember that Sam - but I don't think I've put much pressure on it (at least my thickest lines look thinner than other samples I've seen) coming from using firm nibbed pens - I'll give your suggestion a go too - allthough at the moment I'm not getting any flow whatsoever and the feed "looks" dry.

Cheers, Greg.

Update: Ok, so I've flushed it again with soapy water, re-flushed with clean water, refilled and it wrote... and then stopped. Holding the pen vertically for 20seconds and then gently riding it over the paper seems to get it flowing again but returning to a normal writing position it runs out of juice after a few setences. Having just noted that this thread is in the Pen Review forum I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place. I'll make a new thread in the normal forum tomorrow.

Edited by GSteer, 22 December 2011 - 06:47.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

#228 Oliwerko

Oliwerko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:02

Regular soap and dish soap are pretty much the only things I have for removing grease that are not aggressive. I also have benzine, but I was not confident enough to use it on the feed. Do you think it would make any difference?

Not just you! It happens to me too ... it appears that the flow is a little inconsistent and the feed will resaturate when left to sit for a while.

Strange. Did you come up with any solutions?

I most definitely cleaned the whole thing completely. I left it soaking in clear water AGAIN this night. So it's been like 3 or 4 toothbrush with soapy water sessions, 3 flushes using the piston, and 2 soakings in both soapy and clear water. Plus I ran the xacto through the channels.

I'm out of ideas. I'll take it out from the water now, ink it, wait until tommorrow. Any ideas what to do next? Opening the first (or the first two?) channel perhaps?

EDIT:
Just checking - is it ok when the breather tube is full of ink? When I fill the piston, the ink goes through the tube to the top piston compartment and stays there. I guess this is normal behavior, but again, I want to rule out everything so I ask.

Edited by Oliwerko, 22 December 2011 - 18:08.

#229 JonB55198

JonB55198

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:05

Just checking - is it ok when the breather tube is full of ink? When I fill the piston, the ink goes through the tube to the top piston compartment and stays there. I guess this is normal behavior, but again, I want to rule out everything so I ask.

This happens on mine too and I have no issues. In fact, the ink in the top piston compartment never seems to descend at all. This makes changing ink colors more of a challenge. I have to really take a squeeze bulb (that is used for flushing ears, available at pharmacy) and squirt some water under pressure up in there to clean it properly.

-Jon
WTT : Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss)
WTB Used: Cross Signature Gold Barley Corn Fountain Pen (any nib)
Namiki Falcon with Fine Nib
Bexley America the Beautiful, Black. Bexley Elegancia, Blue Shell (any nib size on Bexleys)

#230 Oliwerko

Oliwerko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:46

I found another way of doing it. Fill the piston half with water, put your thumb at the end and push the piston in. The air will compress and push the water into the upper part :P

#231 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2011 - 15:18

I took my converter out and filled the barrel.

It's AWE - wait for it - SOME!

#232 Oliwerko

Oliwerko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2011 - 16:03

did you notice any different behavior when it comes to flow/performance?

#233 chupie

chupie

He's a grand, ungodly, god-like man, Captain Ahab.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 21:06

It's not just you, the ink level drops. I think this is more common than you might suspect, but not as obvious on a pen with an opaque filler/barrel.

I was going to say, it happens to just about ever pen I own.
Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.
target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com

#234 PacificCoastPen

PacificCoastPen

Key in a Socket

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2011 - 23:37

Eek, I just ordered a black Ahab today. I bought (and quickly sold) the Noodler's Creaper. Ugh, the smell of the creaper? Smelled like belly button jam. Not pleasant. Nowhere near Play Doh which smells good. I hope the hype of the Ahab lives up to it's nib.
Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps https://www.flickr.com/photos/99441859@N05/

#235 Oliwerko

Oliwerko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:38

The smell is almost gone on my pen after a few days. I can only smell it when I put it directly under my nose. But I don't find it that bad...

#236 PacificCoastPen

PacificCoastPen

Key in a Socket

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2011 - 17:51

I wish someone would make a pen body that could accommodate dip nibs with a feed and a cart or piston fill. I hope Noodler's come out with a steel wet noodle at some point.
Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps https://www.flickr.com/photos/99441859@N05/

#237 PacificCoastPen

PacificCoastPen

Key in a Socket

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2011 - 18:17

I wish someone would make a pen body that could accommodate dip nibs with a feed and a cart or piston fill. I hope Noodler's come out with a steel wet noodle at some point.

I happened upon this very good analysis of the Ahab construction and how to take it apart, fix, and put it back together again. I have no interest in the Noodler company.

http://noodlersink.c...is-almost-here/

#238 rmizrahi

rmizrahi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2011 - 21:24

Sam: Maybe you can check my post under Writing Instruments and help me figure out why I can't get a great response from the Ahab like everyone else seems to.... ?

Thanks!

R

#239 Caifanito

Caifanito

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:09

Hey you guys, what could be causing this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was using my blue ahab as usual and when I was drawing a line across some numbers I saw this SPRAY of ink....i really never had this happen before so I was surpriced. It happens mainly when I draw long lines across the page (and because of that I usually put a tad more pressure on the nib). The pictures show two lines, but the "spray" happened on the first horizonal line, I tried to reproduce the spray with the second line but didn't happen. All I've done on the Ahab is clean with JB penflush about two weeks ago. Is this normal?
"Todo reflejo al llegar al punto final recuerda su origen" Jose Manuel Aguilera

#240 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 22:08

Happens every now and then with some pens of mine. I think the paper, nib angle, and Saturn all have to be in perfect alignment or something. :)