Diamine Oxblood

jgrasty

I recently received a sample of Diamine Oxblood from "you know where", and knew I'd have to have it. Not that I need another dark red ink, but what can you do? Anyway, here's a review of this blood red ink.

Diamine Oxblood is a complex dark red, a nice blood red, think congealed blood. The ink is smooth and nicely lubricated, like most Diamine inks. The ink works well with vintage flex pens, so is not too wet. The ink shows some shading, even with fine nibs, though not dramatic. The ink is partially waterproof; a portion of the ink washes away, but the leftover writing is very readable. Drying time is faster than most inks on Rhodia paper, about 15 seconds; on HP Premium Choice Laser, about half that time. There is no feathering at all on any paper I tested, including cheap copier paper. There was no bleed through on any paper I tested, and show through was minimal even on thin copier paper.

Of the inks I have, Diamine Oxblood is most similar to Noodler's Tiananmen. Tiananmen is slightly redder, and shades more dramatically. Other inks close in color to Oxblood include the limited edition Sailor Oku-Yama ink, which is slightly lighter; J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary ink is much more red and more saturated; and Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, which appears to have more brown in it. If you zoom in to the image, you can see a bit of the "Black Swan" effect in Oxblood when used with a flex nib. The "Black Swan" effect is a dark border around the edge of the written characters.

The scan is more vibrant than real life.

Diamine Oxblood is a very nice ink, but I don't know what I'd do with it, other than write notes around Halloween and traumatize students who write poor essays. :roflmho:

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/diamine-oxblood.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jgrasty

• JeanManuel

• lapis

• Uncle Red

Great review and great handwriting!

I also am a victim of the "you know who" sample and will be adding this to my stock soon!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Excellent review. Mostly handwritten and tons of comparisons. Thanx!

Again, a fine example of subtility. Quite similar to Tiananmen but at the same still definitely different.

Okay, I'm weird but maybe I like this ink so much since it has the same colour and name as many of the 100-year old painted wooden floors here in Berlin. Actually the appartment where I still live (rented since 1980) had such painted floors but I got everything sanded off to replace paint with a wax emulsion. (And in case you don't already know, I once dropped a whole bottle of Tiananmen onto the floor under my desk.) I still love that work of art and have, of course, never even attempted to remove same.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Tiananmen.jpg

I guess that must have been some type of Freudian slip. As said, I still have that ink under my desk, but I bought my bottle of Oxblood a few months later.

WrackI

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 4 weeks later...

I recently received a sample of Diamine Oxblood from "you know where", and knew I'd have to have it.

blood red ink.

Diamine Oxblood is a complex dark red, a nice blood red, think congealed blood.

Whether due to an unlikely inconsistency with Diamine ink production, or a digital color issue: my oxblood's color does not have much to do with yours. Mine looks much more brown. As on this image from "seize the dave" http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PYw92neEA7o/TP6bZSaAo9I/AAAAAAAAAG4/XIwCTy-jc4w/s1600/diamine+oxblood.jpg

or here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TN7rx8mdMoI/AAAAAAAAAEA/DTUrQU_j0rU/s1600/upclosepinksred2.jpg

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.

I recently received a sample of Diamine Oxblood from "you know where", and knew I'd have to have it.

blood red ink.

Diamine Oxblood is a complex dark red, a nice blood red, think congealed blood.

Whether due to an unlikely inconsistency with Diamine ink production, or a digital color issue: my oxblood's color does not have much to do with yours. Mine looks much more brown. As on this image from "seize the dave"

You are correct. The scanner I use makes the ink look brighter and more vibrant than it really is. One of these days I'm going to get a better scanner and rescan all my reviews.

Diamine Oxblood is a very nice ink, but I don't know what I'd do with it, other than write notes around Halloween and traumatize students who write poor essays. :roflmho:

It's a surprisingly useful all-round ink. I have a colleague who uses it for everything; not wanting to appear a copycat, I don't use it around him, but I've used it on other occasions and found it very suitable for taking minutes at a meeting or drafting a piece of writing. It's between red and brown and can be read as either -- it looks more red when marking up black-and-white, and more brown on its own.

It's a surprisingly useful all-round ink. I have a colleague who uses it for everything; not wanting to appear a copycat, I don't use it around him, but I've used it on other occasions and found it very suitable for taking minutes at a meeting or drafting a piece of writing. It's between red and brown and can be read as either -- it looks more red when marking up black-and-white, and more brown on its own.

Yeah, I agree. I mostly use it myself to mark up notes in my engineering notebook.

Yeah, I agree. I mostly use it myself to mark up notes in my engineering notebook.

Same idea here with physics. It's dark enough to be very legible.

I find that the duo Diamine Oxblood / R&K verdigris makes a nice red/green pair :)

Perhaps Diamine has comparable dark greens, yellows or blues.

Everything is impermanent.

I have diluted my Oxblood ~100% (1vol. distilled water: 1vol ink) and this ink still seems the same color, the same behavior properties. The only difference is that it has acquired a bit more shading. It's great color!

I've been using into my Visconti Opera Master Demo (the clear one) and it's easy to flush and it has never stained the clear barrel. Now with Oxblood diluted, it's easier to flush yet.

What an absolutely beautiful color.

Ths may now be one of my top 5 colorsafter PR Black Cherry, PV chocolate, and Noodler' s midnih blue