Help Me Save My 1St Generation Lamy 2000

Uffuffa

Hello everyone - hope you can offer some help here please...

My beloved 1966 Lamy 2000 that I've been using for years has finally started to give up on me despite being treated with absolute care for as long as I remember. Unfortunately the Makrolon has started to fatigue. There is the faintest hairline crack starting just south of the lower end of the clip (indicated on the cap photo between the two white arrowheads). I think it corresponds to the position of the metal frame that lies within the cap, which is responsible for catching the "ears" of the barrel when capping the pen. I've always been gentle when capping the pen, never ramming it home. I never write with the pen posted.

I suppose this crack might be a sign of the metal frame (within the cap) slowly working itself deeper into the cap over the years as it has been capped shut. Now the frame diameter is pushing the Makralon outwards and hence the beginnings of this crack. I suspect I'll need to disassemble the cap, remove the metal inner frame, repair the crack and then gently push the metal frame back inside to the exact position that it should sit (without re-cracking the cap on one extreme and without making it too loose on the other extreme).

Could anyone advise me on the best way to repair the crack please? I presume some sort of glue would be appropriate - does anyone have any favourite types for this work?

I have also considered returning the pen to Lamy for repair, but I suspect they will simply claim my first generation 2000 and send me a replacement modern one instead...

For the time being, I'm not using the pen at all for fear of converting an incomplete crack into one that extends all the way to the cap rim. Such a pity - the pen is in otherwise perfect condition. And the worst thing is that last week I contemplated retiring the pen from general use - should have listened to my instincts! :(

post-51331-0-18372200-1320542527.jpg

post-51331-0-16562500-1320542540.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crabe919

• Uffuffa

• haywoody

• professionaldilettante

The Lamy 2000 is a classic and certainly worth repairing if you want to keep the original cap. Do not try to glue it yourself, have somebody do it for your professionally. Hairline cracks tend to propagate if the crack is not treated properly.

Is there a difference between contemporary caps and 1st generation caps? You could as well buy a used or broken Lamy 2000 and change the cap body, keeping the clip, internals, end piece, etc. of your old cap.

Alternatively, you clould send it to Lamy and explain the situation. If you ask for a new cap body, and ask them to save all the other parts this should not be a problem. I had two pens repaired by them (both Lamy 2000) and was always pleased with the results. One of them has a VW promotion clip which I certainly wanted to keep.

Thank you for your suggestions. The thing about using a replacement cap from another pen would be the difference in wear/patina between the barrel and the replacement cap - they would not match in colour or texture... Also, yes, there is a difference between the older caps and the new caps in that the old ones were stamped W.Germany instead of Germany. I do have two other Lamy 2000s, one of a similar age to the one that is broken and one that is more modern - I've tried to fit each of their caps to this pen and the cap simply sticks out like a sore thumb against the barrel; just subtle differences in wear/texture/colour. Alternatively, if I send the pen to Lamy, I suspect they'll just replace the cap body with a new one (that also will not match). I suspect the only way to preserve the match between the cap and barrel is to repair the crack before it progresses/completes. You mentioned having it professionally done...I've no idea where to start looking... Can anyone recommend someone to me please? Whilst it would be easiest if that person be based in the UK, I don't mind shipping internationally if necessary.

Hello Uffuffa,

I have one of the same vintage with a crack that has recently developed in the same spot. It looks nearly identical. The pen is otherwise nearly mint. I received it in fine shape and the crack developed sitting in storage.

I believe the crack is the result of pressure from the clip retaining ring, which is press-fit into the cap. The cap is constantly under stress and the intentional scratches in the outside surface make a wonderful area for a crack to start. Early Lamy 2000s are very commonly found with cracked caps - I have a handful of them. The one I mentioned above was the only good one I had; now they are all cracked.

I have been wondering how to fix mine too but have not done anything with it yet. I think your assumption that Lamy will simply send you a new cap is correct. Makrolon is a polycarbonate and technically can be solvent welded. I know Ron Zorn repairs cracked caps and I believe Richard Binder and Rick Horne also offer the service. I think your best bet is to contact one of them for an assessment. If successful, please let me know and I will follow.

By the way, if none of the repair folks have experience with fixing a 2000 crack but are willing to try, I am happy to donate a cap or two from my beater pens for R&D.

Best of luck!

/Woody

• 1 month later...

Hello Woody and Adam,

Not sure why, Woody, but I didn't receive a notification that you'd replied to my thread and so, Adam, I've not yet investigated Woody's suggestion (I received a notification for the last entry on the thread by Adam). Anyways, will get to work on this to see if I can contact some of the individuals that Woody has suggested and ultimately report back here with an account of how things go. It's a pity to see these early 2000s cracking.

Regards,

Chris

chris,

thx for the reply!

at the moment i don't have a lot of spare time, but when i have, i will try to contact someone form the UK who does pen restorations.

Crack is exactly the same on my pen.

Regards,

Adam

chris,

thx for the reply!

at the moment i don't have a lot of spare time, but when i have, i will try to contact someone form the UK who does pen restorations.

Crack is exactly the same on my pen.

Regards,

Adam

Try Eric Wilson (Eckiethump here on FPN) who is based in Edinburgh. He repaired a thread crack on the body of my MB 234½, so may be able to help. You could pm him here or His web site address is: http://eckiethump.webs.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Hello woody,

Would like to try to weld the crack myself, can you miss one of your caps for testing out before i commit to my cap? I think i found a product to get the job done, but don't want to ruin my pen. If i get the job done, i can ad a howto on fnp for further reference. Let me know something, i wouldn't mind paying for shipment.

Cheers,

Adam

Hello woody,

Would like to try to weld the crack myself, can you miss one of your caps for testing out before i commit to my cap? I think i found a product to get the job done, but don't want to ruin my pen. If i get the job done, i can ad a howto on fnp for further reference. Let me know something, i wouldn't mind paying for shipment.

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Absolutely; I'm curious to see what you've come up with. I will PM to arrange details...

/Woody