Wing Sung 233

celesul

I'm typing everything that is written, plus maybe a bit more.

IMG_1111.JPG

Introduction: I wasn't a huge fan of this pen at first. It was an exceedingly dry writer and I wasn't fond of the look either. It has grown on me since.

Appearance & Design: I still don't find this pen terribly aesthetic. I find the orange ink window kind of ugly, and the nib rather plain looking. It has grown on me a bit though.

Construction & Quality: This pen is surprisingly well made and seems very durable. Everything works. The cap closes with a click, it posts, the clip works well, the squeeze filler is effective, the nib starts writing immediately, and nothing leaks. I'm impressed.

Weight & Dimensions: Everything is perfectly comfortable. It is well balanced and is fine posted and not.

IMG_1112.JPG

Nib & Performance: This pen writes smoothly and well. There is certainly feedback, but it is pleasant, not excessive. It can write quite dryly, although it doesn't cause extra scratchiness. With Noodlers Black, there can be nib creep.

Filling System & Maintenance: This pen uses a squeeze filler, which works well. It fills nearly to the end of the sac.

Cost & Value: Unbeatable. This pen cost $2.88 from isellpens, which is lower than their usual price of $5. It is easily worth $5 and an absolute steal at what I got it.

Conclusion: Would I declare my undying love for this pen? No. Is it a scarily good value and highly useful? Yes! This pen has definitely grown on me. It is a pen I can toss in a purse or backpack without worry - it won't leak or break, but if it did, it would be cheap to replace. Also, the cap is very secure.

IMG_1113.JPG

The clip really can be used! It's not just a decoration or an aid to prevent rolling.

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• adallak

• celesul

• Uncle Red

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha, I've got mine on my desk today, I've got Copper Burst in it. They are nice pens. I like it for taming wet inks.

My 233's also like inks that support generous flow. In my pens the feeds are a bit loose and often need to be reseated. This is done by simply using one's fingernail to push the feed back into place. When it has moved forward, the pens becomes much scratchier and dryer. When seated properly the pens flow well. I mention this as my son also has a 233 and it has the same issue. When everything is where it is supposed to be, and with a good flowing ink, these pens are smooth, fine writers. As many of us mentioned in you 616 review, your handwriting is beautiful. I also purchased a 616 and a 233 from Todd at isellpens as my introduction to Chinese pens. I wonder how many of us have followed this path. Enjoy your pen.

Edited by Scribblesoften

Very nice review, and your handwriting! :yikes: Simply gorgeous!

trpofapprobal.png

i just ordered one from Todd today -along with the H329 gold cap (hadn't seen that one before). looking forward to getting both. thx for the review!

I think the real treat in this review was not the pen but your handwriting--very nice!

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

Looks like a great writer. I like the nib very much and your handwriting is good.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

got mine yesterday and i don't know why i never got it before -i'd seen it at isellpens for that prize and never thought of buying it. i like it a lot more than all my Hero pens of the same prize range.

better girth, longer than the H616 standard, holds a lot more ink than the other chinese aerometric copies and i like the sheaffer style nib. my only gripe is the missmatch steel cap with the gold plated nib.

great pen!

edited. the girth and length is the same as the H616. it's just longer when cap posted.

Edited by lovemy51

Wing Sung 840 uses the same nib but looks better IMHO. How's it compared to to 233? I agree, that yellow window looks very cheap and mismatching.

Edited by adallak

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

funny but i like the amber color window. tho' the SS cap is built more solid than a gold plated (i'm thinking of the cheap H329 gold caps -those flimsy things...) i would like to see the whole thing match.

i don't know what an 840 looks like... i'll go see.

funny but i like the amber color window. tho' the SS cap is built more solid than a gold plated (i'm thinking of the cheap H329 gold caps -those flimsy things...) i would like to see the whole thing match.

Here you go.

post-22591-0-07340700-1320211690.jpg

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

Thanks for the compliments on my handwriting :embarrassed_smile: It used to be scrawl, but my TAs often give zeros instead of attempting to decipher messy scrawl, so I taught myself decent penmanship.

Wing Sung 840 uses the same nib but looks better IMHO. How's it compared to to 233? I agree, that yellow window looks very cheap and mismatching.

Hmmm. Now you've got me wanting to try this out. I've been using the 233 a ton, because it's such a nice writer, but it's really not an attractive looking pen to me. Some people seem to like them though. I kind of want more Wing Sungs now... I've also got a dragon 220. Some of them are actually pretty!

Thanks for the compliments on my handwriting :embarrassed_smile: It used to be scrawl, but my TAs often give zeros instead of attempting to decipher messy scrawl, so I taught myself decent penmanship.

Hmmm. Now you've got me wanting to try this out. I've been using the 233 a ton, because it's such a nice writer, but it's really not an attractive looking pen to me. Some people seem to like them though. I kind of want more Wing Sungs now... I've also got a dragon 220. Some of them are actually pretty!

Looks like there are many Wing Sungs with the same conical Sheaffer-like nib which look better, sturdier than 233. Check out eBay. Edited by adallak

Here you go.

now, that's a total missmatch. every color is in that pen (red barrel, black section, gold cap, silver end of the section; and i think i see a 2tone nib)... :headsmack:

Edited by lovemy51

• 2 years later...

I had two of these :

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/wingsung233/1.jpg

One was a bit dry on the flow but been adjusted the other was fine. They did need some silicone grease around the base of the nib since I unscrewed them to adjust the nib.

I gave them both away since I don't care for permanently installed squeeze fillers like that one.

But they can be disassembled completely for cleaning, just best to have some silicone grease on those threads.

post-111162-0-89340400-1397279946.jpg

nice handwriting!

I just noticed that this thread is nearly 3 years old and was only bumped by the above. :/
Edited by KBeezie

• 2 years later...

I had two of these :

One was a bit dry on the flow but been adjusted the other was fine. They did need some silicone grease around the base of the nib since I unscrewed them to adjust the nib.

I gave them both away since I don't care for permanently installed squeeze fillers like that one.

But they can be disassembled completely for cleaning, just best to have some silicone grease on those threads.

post-111162-0-89340400-1397279946.jpg

I just noticed that this thread is nearly 3 years old and was only bumped by the above. :/

Thread Resurrection! Just acquired a Wing Sung 233 off eBay. Used to be my pen in school in India. Would love to dismantle my pen like this for a "good" clean. Is it safe? Mine has a sac filler.

• 2 months later...

I am willing to buy this model, looks attractive. But I am getting only the golden-capped ones. Does the golden colour fades away after time passes?

• 3 months later...