Twsbi & Fc Nibs (With Photos And Writing Samples)

SamCapote

I wanted to show the TWSBI standard nibs, and the two I got from Franklin-Christoph at this link. I didn't want to post this in Speedy's threads, but some have asked me some more details about the specialty FC nibs for the Model 14 Magnet Pen which are completely interchangeable with the TWSBI 540 & 550 pens. These are Schmidt nibs that are reportedly customized by Michael Masuyama (Mike-It-Work) who is a respected nib-meister.

Of the three specialty FC nibs, I got the 0.9mm medium italic & 1.1mm broad stub. They now also have a 1.1mm broad italic which would have a sharper edge for more line variation if you prefer that. These nibs have the added benefit (& commensurate additional cost) iridium tipping which reportedly the upcoming TWSBI nibs in some new sizes may not have. I took some high resolution closeups of both sides of all the nibs, but I forgot to include the Extra Fine tip (but did use it for writing samples). I used my HTC Android Incredible cell phone which has an 8 megapixel camera resolution, and one of these $12 removeable macro lenses. These are all thumbnails.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/TWSBI/IMAG0114s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/TWSBI/IMAG0115s.jpg http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/TWSBI/IMAG0116s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/TWSBI/TWSBI-Nibs.jpg

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• USMCMom

• MCWB

• Uncle Red

From your writing sample, it seems that the F-C MI nib is between the TWSBI M and B nibs in terms of line width. Would that be a fair assessment?

From your writing sample, it seems that the F-C MI nib is between the TWSBI M and B nibs in terms of line width. Would that be a fair assessment?

Looking at the writing sample paper now, yes I would say that is accurate, including the additional thinner horizontal italic aspect which is closest to the TWSBI EF nib. Some of the darker ink color with the FC may also be related to the overall adjustment from Mike It Work's tweaking for F-C.

Wow, this is ghreat, thanks so much. I can't wait to see what Twsbi comes out with for their CI's but this is a great option. Especially since Twsbi isn't doing a .9 CI

Edited by Uncle Red

A newb with a 540 looking to make sure he has this straight.......

so you buy the FC nib you want, the M-14 line Italic Medium for instance, and it comes with a metal section screwed onto it,

you unscrew the metal section from the nib and feed,

then slide that nib and feed into a TWSBI grip and push it together,

then you screw that grip onto the TWSBI body?

:blink:

Edited by dex138

A newb with a 540 looking to make sure he has this straight.......

so you buy the FC nib you want, the M-14 line Italic Medium for instance, and it comes with a metal section screwed onto it,

you unscrew the metal section from the nib and feed,

then slide that nib and feed into a TWSBI grip and push it together,

then you screw that grip onto the TWSBI body?

:blink:

Exactly right.

In my photos, the TWSBI nib/inner "feed assembly" section (in my top photo, it is the 2nd from bottom) that screws out of the metal FC section becomes a friction insert into the TWSBI clear plastic section (making sure to following proper alignment of the black plastic assembly notches into the grooves of the clear plastic TWSBI section--as Speedy has shown). Then that whole TWSBI nib/feed assembly/clear plastic section "collar" screws onto the TWSBI pen barrel using the "inner section assembly" threads that screwed into the F-C metal section.

Edited by SamCapote

• 2 months later...

Speedy says the Vac 700 will have a larger nib. Anybody know if the #6 FC nibs will fit? A Mike Masuyama 1.1 stub in steel ($45.) or, gasp, 18K ($115.) would be sweet. Even @ $195. for the package, you'd be hard pressed to find a med-full size pen with a custom 18K stub, and it would most likely be a CC filler.

Bruce

BB is the new M

• 2 years later...

I recognize this is an old thread and I'm performing a bit of "luring the zombie" here, but does anyone have an answer to the questions above about the FC 18k nibs fitting on a Vac 700?