Pilot Prera F Review

drollins

This week I received a new Pilot Prera demonstrator pen (the 'black' version). I'm a new collector and have been enjoying hunting down inexpensive demonstrators - I have two Lamy Safaris, a TWSBI 530, a TWSBI 540, a Waterman Phileas, and this new Pilot Prera. All have fine-point nibs, except the 540, which is XF. I have several other pens with F nibs, and consider that it's the best choice for my style of writing.

I've also been having a good time experimenting with different inks in different pens, and discovering the best relationships. I write quickly, and like a generous flow.

At first I thought it wasn't working properly, because hardly any ink seemed to flow from the nib onto the paper as I wrote. I flushed it several times, and have tried several inks in it, including the notoriously free-flowing Aurora Black, but have to apply unreasonable pressure to get a satisfactory amount of ink out of the pen. I've read in other posts that the F nib is very fine, more like an XXF, and I do like the surgical precision the nib gives, and its near-scratchiness. It feels almost like using an exacto-knife! But it's just too dry.

The Pilot Prera is a beautifully designed pen, but it's not for me. After spending so much time and money finding beautiful inks, it seems a shame to put them in a pen that seems designed to withhold them.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen2009

• drollins

• georges zaslavsky

• rochester21

Might be something wrong with that nib, I have several Prera Fs and they write well. Currently have Diamine Crimson, Pilot Blue-Black cartridge and Iroshizuku fuyu-gaki in them.

I agree that the nib or feed sound faulty. I have two Preras, and the F nib is extra, extra fine, but it not dry and does not require the kind of writing pressure you describe. I would exchange it.

Did you flush the nib/pen before trying it out? Flush with very dilute washing-up liquid (hand dishwashing detergent), then rinse thoroughly with plain water, then dry thoroughly (nib down into paper towel for at least an hour, better overnight). New pens/nibs normally have a light coating of grease or oil as they come from the factory, which needs to be cleaned off before the pen will write properly.

I've also found with several pens of mine that they need to be "written in". The nib in my Pelikan Piazza Navona was so tough when I got it that I actually wrote to Pelikan asking about exchanging it, but a week later (and ever since) it was writing like a dream. Not every great nib writes like butter from the word Go.

Did you flush the nib/pen before trying it out? Flush with very dilute washing-up liquid (hand dishwashing detergent), then rinse thoroughly with plain water, then dry thoroughly (nib down into paper towel for at least an hour, better overnight). New pens/nibs normally have a light coating of grease or oil as they come from the factory, which needs to be cleaned off before the pen will write properly.

I've also found with several pens of mine that they need to be "written in". The nib in my Pelikan Piazza Navona was so tough when I got it that I actually wrote to Pelikan asking about exchanging it, but a week later (and ever since) it was writing like a dream. Not every great nib writes like butter from the word Go.

OK great - thanks for the encouragement, I am going to give it a thorough cleaning and give this pen a second chance.

If flushing the pen out doesn't work, there are a few posts around here about Pilot 78Gs writing dry. I posted a short guide with pictures on how to increase flow- and since the Prera and 78G share the same nib and feed, you can use that.

If flushing the pen out doesn't work, there are a few posts around here about Pilot 78Gs writing dry. I posted a short guide with pictures on how to increase flow- and since the Prera and 78G share the same nib and feed, you can use that.

Wonderful. It's great to be able to rely on experts!

Welcome to FPN!

I love my Pilot Prera, and I find it much wetter and easier to write with than my 78Gs - which are too scratchy even for me to use regularly!

I agree with what others have said about cleaning out the nib and feed - I'd try that before giving up on the Prera, for sure!

Alexandra M.

• 8 months later...

I have just purchased a Prera demo in light blue with a F nib. I think I should get it in a few days.

http://www.pilot.co.jp/MungoBlobs/fprn_350r_tlb.jpg

I wanted to add a lower priced pen in my daily rotation in addition to Lamys. By the look of it in the promo pictures, the pen seems to be well constructed and sturdy enough. It cames with a CON-50, which is another good feature of this pen.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I have just purchased a Prera demo in light blue with a F nib. I think I should get it in a few days.

http://www.pilot.co.jp/MungoBlobs/fprn_350r_tlb.jpg

I wanted to add a lower priced pen in my daily rotation in addition to Lamys. By the look of it in the promo pictures, the pen seems to be well constructed and sturdy enough. It cames with a CON-50, which is another good feature of this pen.

I just got exactly this pen a couple of days ago - it's inked with Noodler's Squeteague and is a joy to write with!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

I just got exactly this pen a couple of days ago - it's inked with Noodler's Squeteague and is a joy to write with!

Great to hear a positive comment on this. I just got an update from the vendor and the delivery would in less than 4 days.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I got a delivery of my Prera and gave this pen a try. This is a cheap pen; so, there is nothing special about this pen. Very small; so, this pen needs to be posted. It is good that this pen can be posted quite easily with a light touch push on the barrel end and the cap is securely posted.

The Prera's F is a truly an F nib. Drier side, I believe. No, I should say, this pen is a very dry writer. I could not even compare this nib with my Platinum #3776 sized F nib (such a comparison is not warranted anyway). I am spoiled in terms of nib experiences.

I tried to write with Noodler's Polar Black; but, the pen and ink do not like each other. So, I filled this pen with more forgiving WM Florida Blue. With WM FB, I can use this pen without any issue. My WM Carene also have an issue with Polar Black; my Carene has not had any issue with other inks. It seems Polar Black has a very particular property which makes some pens unwritable.

Going back to the Prera, I don't intend to buy another one.

Edited by Pen2009

Actually I have that problem with the Lamy safari (EF) I just got - It seemed really dry and scratchy at first but after I used it for 2 days (with plenty of note-taking and doodling) it's now very smooth and fluid, maybe you can give it a second chance?

Blog Plug - Ink of Me Fondly

a good economical pen from pilot

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

The description of the prera reminds me of my pilot 78G- it has the same ink flow issue.

Sounds like to me the tines are too close restricting flow ... I would floss the tines and see if that improves the flow ... but what do I know ... Enjoy your new toy ...

This cheap pen is such a disappointment. Lamy Safari is priced in the similar range; but Lamy is far superior to this one as my all Lamy Safari / Al Star are great writers.

But, again, I have to admit I cannot expect a good writing feel from a cheap pen. I am glad I did not buy a few of them at the same time. As a saving grace for this miserable pen, this pen came with the new con-50 converter (the one with the surface tension breaker); so, I swapped that out of the Prera and put it in my other Pilot.

Edited by Pen2009

This cheap pen is such a disappointment. Lamy Safari is priced in the similar range; but Lamy is far superior to this one as my all Lamy Safari / Al Star are great writers.

But, again, I have to admit I cannot expect a good writing feel from a cheap pen. I am glad I did not buy a few of them at the same time. As a saving grace for this miserable pen, this pen came with the new con-50 converter (the one with the surface tension breaker); so, I swapped that out of the Prera and put it in my other Pilot.

Very unfortunate luck you had with yours. Mine was alright out of the box, and I like it quite a bit now that I swapped in an EF nib instead of the regular F, which was too wide for me. I wish the body were a beefier plastic, but otherwise I think it's a great pen. Even bought one for my ex-roommate. However, I have encountered some 78Gs, which share a nib and feed with the Prera, that were suboptimal. Luckily, those pens are very cheap and easy to work on, so I've managed to turn the bum ones into very respectable writers.

Robert.

I just went to Pilot's pen museum this early afternoon to check out the place and ask them to adjust my Prera's nib. I know this is an overkill for such a low priced pen. But, I decided to give it a try as I have so many Pilot pens and even a Prera deserves a second chance. Also, I wanted to see the museum and was going to visit Montblanc's Tokyo technical center to adjust/fix my 146 M and 149 EF (Pilot Museum is walking distance from MB store; not a short walk, though).

As I have already deal with Pilot's pen doctor division before for my other Pilot pens and have many Pilot pens in my collection, they were able to adjust my Prera free of charge by one of their on-site pen doctors. He explained me about Pilot's philosphy which I did not realize until now. I will start off a new thead on Pilot.

Now, my Prera writes nicely. I can include this pen in my 6 ring small scheduler (a leather one with a zipper). I am very pleased that my Prera can write now. :thumbup:

Edited by Pen2009

I posted a short guide with pictures on how to increase flow- and since the Prera and 78G share the same nib and feed, you can use that.

Could you please post a link to the guide please?

I search the forums but can't find it. :embarrassed_smile: