#1 speedy

speedy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:30

The metal version of TWSBI Diamond has been discussed internally for some times. We intend to create an internal piston filling mechanism so we can ware different meterial outside.

The first thought is to ware a metal body (like Iron Man? hahaha!)

Below is the first look of the proposal. Pls comment.

Posted ImageClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

For latest update pls join our facebook alt="facebook badge" />

If any product related issue, pls send email to twsbiinc@gmail.com

#2 uzkntuocmw

uzkntuocmw

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:42

Looks sweet, although it's maybe a bit too angular for my tastes.

But I'd be happy with the 550 (or whatever the 540 with bits of metal is called) too.

#3 chris.hale

chris.hale

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:43

I like it, I'd buy one of those. B)

#4 GeeTee

GeeTee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:43

Looks really nice. The only thing bothering me is the metal section. I find metal sections very uncomfortable. I prefer the one with the dark brown part in the middle.

#5 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,454 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:23

I think if you offer a metal section it should be mat instead of smooth.

Perhaps offer the pen with both a plastic section and a metal one.

I have Cross Townsend, a Persona, a Diplomat, a P-75, and a Lamy CP-1. My perfectly balanced P-75 was by far the lightest full metal pen I'd ever held, up to when I got that CP-1 which is lighter than some of my plastic pens.

How heavy is your metal pen going to be.
Brass or aluminum?

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 24 October 2011 - 08:27.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For that get a 'flexi' or a "flex" nib.

"

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#6 fraafreg

fraafreg

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:42

Why not use the same barrel design as the 530/540 but in metal? The smaller facets should feel more comfortable than the big facets of this prototype. They would also produce many slimmer reflections when rotated. IMO, diamonds with more cuts have more sparkle.
Posted Image

#7 FLJeepGuy

FLJeepGuy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:02

I prefer the knurling on the cap surrounding the TWSBI logo on the pen with the lighter band in the middle. Also, is that knurling or ink windows in the section on the same pen? I'm assuming it's knurling as it matches the lines in the blind cap. However, it would be nice to have ink windows somewhere on the pen. I also agree that shiny metal sections tend to get very slippery. I don't personally have an issue with that, but a matte finish or even mild ridges (emphasis on mild) cut into the section could overcome the slipperiness of the shiny metal.

All in all, a very nice pen design, one which I would purchase if it's as reasonably priced as your other offerings.

Edit: I see from the 3/4 view with the caps off that the section threads and maybe the band are actually clear? If that's the case, then the ink window issue is already taken care of.

Edited by FLJeepGuy, 24 October 2011 - 10:04.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7
Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

#8 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:00

I hope the weight of the pen is on par with the current 580, while the metal grip section is replaced by the other materials. It's very difficult to maintain good grip with the metal section.

Edited by Pen2009, 24 October 2011 - 11:01.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#9 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:45

Looks very interesting. I don't think metal sections have to be a problem (see the one on Lamy 2000, also a good example of how the barrel form continues to the section). The weight is always a concern in terms of balance but many of us prefer a heavier pen, especially a large one that doesn't require posting. For example, I prefer my Pelikan M800 to the old-style M600 I'd been using for years just for this reason.

#10 bjcmatthews

bjcmatthews

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:50

Looks great, I'd buy one:D

#11 h_s_shrivastava

h_s_shrivastava

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 13:27

Why not use the same barrel design as the 530/540 but in metal? The smaller facets should feel more comfortable than the big facets of this prototype. They would also produce many slimmer reflections when rotated. IMO, diamonds with more cuts have more sparkle.

+1

New metal design looks too mechanical (mechanical engineer kind of thing).
A pen should look artisty yet professional e.g. 530/540.

#12 speedy

speedy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 13:33

I think if you offer a metal section it should be mat instead of smooth.

Perhaps offer the pen with both a plastic section and a metal one.

I have Cross Townsend, a Persona, a Diplomat, a P-75, and a Lamy CP-1. My perfectly balanced P-75 was by far the lightest full metal pen I'd ever held, up to when I got that CP-1 which is lighter than some of my plastic pens.

How heavy is your metal pen going to be.
Brass or aluminum?

The metal grip slippery issue has been noticed, not only here but also on other pen design, we will have to come out with a good solution.
The metal barrel can be by aluminum (brass may be too heavy), or other materials, like PMMA (by CNC turning) or even wood... we will consider weight balance and total pen weight.

#13 speedy

speedy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 13:38

+1

New metal design looks too mechanical (mechanical engineer kind of thing).
A pen should look artisty yet professional e.g. 530/540.

this is the first proposal, I also think some modification should also be done

#14 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 15:42

I don't like the step down from the barrel to the section and I'd be less likely to buy it online if there's a step since I can't tell where it would be in my hand. A wider cap would let it post on the body and not the piston knob

#15 pakmanpony

pakmanpony

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 15:48

I like it, but I am a Mechanical Engineer. :thumbup:

#16 zquilts

zquilts

Musing Crow

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 17:22

I think it truly looks like an "Iron Man" ! The design of the pen is lovely and very unique. I would have the same considerations that have been voiced from other posters: weight, grip, etc plus I prefer a rounder shape but all in all it looks like it could be another winner for you!

#17 SHK

SHK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 17:31

Not bad but still not my taste.
I'm not comfortable with the design for the transition from barrel to cap, when capped.
Maybe another day...

#18 ChesterBen

ChesterBen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 17:37

Seems pretty nice, but as has been mentioned, I would prefer a bit more sophisticated design, something like 540.
Also, I don't like the "belt" which is between cap and barrel where the pen is slimmer than the rest.
And I would like to have different nibs to choose from, but it is not what are we talking about :)

#19 saketb

saketb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 17:45

Looks very unique... Lets see whats the outcome.
Best wishes for the development.
Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red
Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade
Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red
Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green
TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple
Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

#20 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 17:52

I like the looks Speedy!

Points for thought, the shape of the metal gripping section looks good, shouldn't be slippery, perhaps as an alternative a durable plastic or even a rubber? I like rubber sections, but find their durability to be a problem.

I like the clear section for seeing ink level, very German looking, an alternative, perhaps a 'slot' or 'window' on the barrel of the pen?

Colors, these colors are great, but perhaps some other dark colors, blue and aluminum or gold and red? Variety is the spice of life! One of my favorite combos is glossy black with silver (rhodium) accents!

The step in the middle with the pen capped, it's ok, and not a deal breaker, but perhaps it could be hidden by the cap when closed?

I like postable pens, a cap posting system that doesn't scratch the pen, or make it very long, or top heavy. I have 2 of the 'inexpensive' Dantrios from Winedoc that are fabulous pens, and are intended to post but become very top heavy when you do. It limits their usefulness for me.

I know this is the design phase, and in all things are compromises. Your definitely on a good track, keep it up!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#21 bwahaw

bwahaw

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 17:56

WOW - i like it alot... looks like a Rotring 600 on steroids, and i've always been very fond of my Rotring 600

#22 Torculus Resupinus

Torculus Resupinus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 19:06

I don't have a problem with either the metal section or the step from the barrel, as I hold my pens lightly well down towards the nib. And I really like the proportions of the design, and would not like a cap so big as to post on the barrel rather than the filling knob. But it's possible to engrave or machine the gripping section so as to give it a texture that would be more secure for those who find the smooth metal a problem, and also looks good. I've just purchased a Nero Muse pen made by FPN member stubnib (Maurizio Stura), which is very nice in this regard (an engraved silver section), but other patterns are also possible. It may well depend on the cost and availability of appropriate tools.

The balance of a metal pen is more important than its weight. The center of gravity of the pen while writing needs to be between the web of the hand and the tips of the fingers -- it is crucial that it should NOT be behind the hand. This is why many larger pens are uncomfortable when posted. When prototyping, test with a range of users with different-sized hands to ensure comfort in use.

My personal preference is for the more complex top to the cap (behind/above or to the right in the various views), but for the smoky rather than the clear ink window. I like the basic design!

#23 opitzs

opitzs

Don't Panic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 19:29

I like the big facets, the engraved section (it could perhaps be a bit more) the darker middle piece and the overall design. I love hefty, heavy, big pens so this would be right up my alley. Please ensure that the cap (when posted) doesn't rest on the screw in the back, that is my biggest problem with my Diamond. I agree, when it is a heavy pen, balance is important.

I have to say, I'd buy it, it looks lovely!

#24 thequinox

thequinox

Understated Elegance

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 19:32

I also think it is too angular. I just don't think it would feel good in the hand. That being said, I have a bit of a bias. I like elegant looking things a bit more than industrial.

#25 mirko

mirko

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 20:01

My first impression is : Rotring 600 meets Caran D'Ache Dunas. Not love at first sight, too straight forward angular without the subtle extra the 530 has in its body shape.
But I'll think about it a bit more...
Latest additions: Pelikan M1005 (F), Montblanc Franz Kafka (M), Lamy Persona Platinum (F), Pelikan Ductus (F), Montblanc 147 (M)
Favorite pens: Montblanc 146P (M), Visconti Homo Sapiens (F), Sailor 1911 Naginata Emperor (MF), Pilot Custom 823 (M), Pilot Capless Black Carbonite (M)
Notable others: Visconti Wall Street LE Red (M), FPN LE Stipula T-Flex, 1948 Aurora 88 (F), Montblanc 149 (F), Omas 360 Magnum (F), Pilot M90 (F), Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi (NM, NB), Sailor Professional Gear (M,B ), Lamy 2000 (F, M), Parker Duofold Centennial (M, 1988), Pelikan M605 (OM, M, F).

#26 floydee1

floydee1

Nervous? Nah! Just thinking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 20:11

I think too much is happening with the pen aesthetically (angular body; gold brass section; stepped section and stepped band) get it back to basics with the following:
Uniform colour for the piston and body (if you retain the hexagonal body)
Probably keep the section in the colour displayed (choice of gold or silver/rhodium) if you insist on a metal section perhaps a brushed finished to improve the grip ; and also a matching clip.
The body band could probably be a window band to display the ink capacity?

I like where your heading with this though.

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

#27 Redbarchettayyz

Redbarchettayyz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 21:56

Now this I will have to order when it's ready!
Get some tasty knowledge -
Frederick Kaff's Illogical Conclusions

Current Rotation: Montblanc 234 1/2g - M, Sailor 1911M - F, Montblanc 34 - OB, Montblanc 24 - OM, Montblanc 14 - M, 1946 Parker Vacumatic - F

#28 Antolin

Antolin

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 22:35

For me it's a bit too many things, many different colours, many different volumes. I would prefer more continuity from the barrel to the cap in term of shape, and the same material and colour for the barrel and the blind cap, as well as for the whole cap. Consider a plastic section with an ink window also.

#29 Bluefinntuna

Bluefinntuna

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:22

It is either you like it or you don't. Personally, I don't fancy the shape or color :(

#30 speedy

speedy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:37

I like the looks Speedy!

Points for thought, the shape of the metal gripping section looks good, shouldn't be slippery, perhaps as an alternative a durable plastic or even a rubber? I like rubber sections, but find their durability to be a problem.

I like the clear section for seeing ink level, very German looking, an alternative, perhaps a 'slot' or 'window' on the barrel of the pen?

Colors, these colors are great, but perhaps some other dark colors, blue and aluminum or gold and red? Variety is the spice of life! One of my favorite combos is glossy black with silver (rhodium) accents!

The step in the middle with the pen capped, it's ok, and not a deal breaker, but perhaps it could be hidden by the cap when closed?

I like postable pens, a cap posting system that doesn't scratch the pen, or make it very long, or top heavy. I have 2 of the 'inexpensive' Dantrios from Winedoc that are fabulous pens, and are intended to post but become very top heavy when you do. It limits their usefulness for me.

I know this is the design phase, and in all things are compromises. Your definitely on a good track, keep it up!

the step transition from cap to barrel,
when capped, the step seemed to be too big, but when not capped, just the grip and barrel, the transition from grip to barrel can become smoother, and it will be better for long time writing. So, this is a trade off we need to consider.