Diamine Macassar

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576-1-2.jpg

=||=

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/9f141458.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' down-stroke width and pens' relative wetness.

Link:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/th_49ba25a1.jpg

Pens: L → R: Estie, P99, W5, 45, NPS & Prelude.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L → R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/7913d142.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/68d7b41f.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/ee886b88.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/95548a9b.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples Creme 20 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/b7c77b52.jpg

Figure 9.

Paper: Staples multi-use 20 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/fdb294ce.jpg

Figure 10.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/6862077b.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 11.

Smear/Dry Times

Wet Tests ☂

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/88ebd591.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Perhaps.

A go-to ink?

• When a stable Brown is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• As a group, I still consider Brown inks to be lacking in gravitas, yet DMac has a good measure of stability, so depending on the business, I could see it used for most internal lateral and downward communication, and some external communication to some people.
  • The stability of the colour is not an asset when animated energy is required, so keep that bottle of NBsBl in its lead-lined box close at hand.
  • Certainly suitable for personal work product, drafts and ephemera.
  • I would be reluctant to use DMac for editing and mark-up, or error correction and grading - its just not sufficiently eye-catching.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• It appears to have character enough to be delivered from both pen and brush, as it comes or diluted.
  • Likely useful as a warm-neutral ground, establishing middle distance; with the stability and tone to depict a secondary figure.
  • Line quality is very good, and as there is little shading potential, it can be used for tight narrow lines, diagrams, label text, graphs, charts, etc.

Students:

• Not a top pick.
  • Even with the properties that make it quite possible for business use, the Smear/Dry times were rather long, and the likelihood of bleed- show-through are quite high.
  • That said, if a workable paper+pen match can be found, then DMac would do nicely, with adequate water resistance to survive inconsiderate handling.
  • Not sufficiently dynamic for written assignments.

Personal:

• Not really, not for me.
  • I've looked and looked and looked at the written samples, and continue to sample with other pens & papers, but I just can't seem to find the handle.
  • At this time, I see it more for writing to people one does not know so well but may become better acquainted. In turn, if I were to receive a letter written in DMac, I would think it to be a nice choice for a non-Blue ink, and would respond quite soon with some enthusiasm, making an effort to use an ink other than MBMBl. (Salix to the rescue!)
  • For pro forma personal business writing, DMac seems to fit the bill. I wouldn't ink-up another pen for a pro forma letter, though the recipient may appreciate the deviation from default Blues.
  • As with inks with little shading potential, use of shaped nibs seems inviting. For some reason, (stability?), this strikes me as one of the inks that would be grand when paired with narrow Italics.
  • Billets doux?

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Generous.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not noticed.

Start-up:

• Prompt.
  • With confidence.

Lubrication:

• Moderate.
  • A bit more would suit me fine.

Nib Creepies:

• Not seen.

Staining [pen]:

• Not seen after ten days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• HPJ1124: Estie (!), W5, NPS.
  • Royal - 25% rag: 45.
  • Staples 20lb. white: 45.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Smell:

• None apparent.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not seen.

Clean-Up:

• A bit slower than usual, but thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibition.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

Smear/Dry Times & Water Resistance:

• Please see Figure 11.

Even though the HPJ1124 24lb and the Staples white 20lb exhibited bleed- show-through, the Staples creme 20lb was OK. :wacko:

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Stable.
  • Slightly disengaged.

Note: Whilst writing, the ink's appearance will change after twenty-ish seconds. I found that behaviour interesting at first, but distracting in the end.

Saturation:

• Quite low.

Shading:

• Imaginary.
  • Low potential.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Low.
    • Typical of a dark moderately saturated ink.

[*]Papers used:

• Low.
    • Except for the hard-surfaced G Lalo, the type of paper made little difference.
    • The changes evident on the G Lalo were a bit unexpected, and hint that DMac may have more to it than depicted by these mere twenty-three samples. :ph34r:

[*]Malleability:

• Low.
    • The ability to look very much itself across a range of papers and pens makes DMac an ink to consider when choosing a daily writer.

Hi-Res Scans:

(Originals are 68x53mm.)

As I do not aspire to the sobriquet 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', these are Links only.

Estie on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/th_7424cf97.jpg

W5 on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/th_ed5ddce3.jpg

45 on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/th_e2f5d441.jpg

Prelude on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/th_ca4ff330.jpg

FIDELITY

Are swatches accurate?

• As the packaging is without swatches, the Diamine site is used as the sole reference, Code 992. LINK http://www.diaminein...s.aspx?catID=67
  • The ink I received is consistent with that reference.

OTHER INKS

As mentioned previously, (Post № 13 LINK), I do not have a vast array of Brown inks, nor an encyclopedic knowledge of such inks.

My Ink Reviews of Brown inks from March 1st 2011 onward share the same format and some of the same pens & papers; hence support comparisons through manipulation of web browser windows. That said, if you feel a specific aspect of DMac deserves to be depicted/documented as a stand-alone Topic or Post, your PM will be welcomed.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Whites.
  • Cool whites.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Dirty whites.
  • Papers that cannot suppress bleed- show-through.

Tinted Papers:

• I am not particularly enamoured with the appearance of the DMac + Staples Creme combo, but the sample on G Lalo, with its 'natural' base tint, is more to my personal taste.
  • While being very much a matter of personal preference and influenced by ink density, I would not use overly warm papers: more in the direction of Buff rather than Champagne.
  • DMac just might have what it takes to sashay with a pale Blue. ♫

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms:
    • A very good pick.
    • The colour is distinct from the typical Black-printed form text; and DMac is dark enough to stay very close to the same visual plane as that text.
    • The good line quality, combined with lack of appreciable shading, are well-suited to forms use; and the flow rate supports impromptu inverted nib tiny writing.

[*]Charts & graphs:

• Very much dependent on density: ensure separation from Black and any Dark/Black Greens.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Not really.
  • I think DMac showed most of what it has to offer on the HPJ1124 - a penny-a-page utility paper. (Except for G Lalo.)
  • A matter of preference over performance.

ETC.

Majik:

• Unlikely - the ink is not sufficiently malleable.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• The Pelikan P99 Technix on the Royal.
  • I like the rather low % coverage of the narrow nib, which is a bit dry, allowing for a lighter tone on the absorbent paper. Impossible [for me] to depict in a scan, is the softer appearance of the slightly fuzzy/open texture of the paper and its interaction with the ink.
  • If I knew how to manage a flex nib, I think the W5 on HPJ1124 would make a good combo: producing slight line variation from a narrow nib. (I shall not risk offending the reader with another such misadventure at this time.)

Yickity Yackity:

• As Brown inks start to populate my ink shelves, DMac has found a spot just big enough for its footprint - one square inch.
  • Perhaps one to acquire when running low on another similar Brown ink.
  • Ah kushbaby, not quite a 'must have it now' sort of ink, but more of the 'why not?' sort.

======

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens:

Link:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/th_cb5681fe.jpg

Written Samples:

• Esterbrook J + 9550 firm steel XF nib.
  • Pelikan P99 + steel F nib.
  • Waterman W5 + 14CT W5 nib. (OoooLaLa!)
  • Parker 45 + g-p steel M nib.
  • The Notorious Pink Safari + steel B nib.
  • Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel B stub nib.

Lines & labels: Visconti Green from a Pilot Penmanship + XF nib.

______

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples Pastel, creme, 20lb.
  • Staples 20lb. multi use.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

______

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted, so went straight to Photobouquet.

______

Densitometer Readings (FWIW):

HPJ1124

• Red 116
  • Grn 100
  • Blu 93
  • Lum 102

______

Fine Print:

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV; not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

TAGS: Fountain pen ink review Diamine Macassar Brown Sandy1

Edited by saskia_madding

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• lovemy51

• raging.dragon

• Armand.D

Hi,

Quite often I include a comment in regard to the name of an ink. At best this is a sideshow, but names do influence expectations. Especially for inks whose packaging is without swatches, its name may be significant at the point of sale.

Wiki indicates 'macassar' to be a grooming aid for men's hair, likely derived from 'Makassar', a population centre of Indonesia. I have not had the opportunity to visit Makassar, nor do I use men's grooming aids, so what those have to do with this ink remains unclear to me. But if this is men's business, then Dapper Dan might know.

I seek members' kind thoughts as to the ink's name.

Bye,

Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

this is macassar ebony wood:

http://www.wood-database.com/wp-content/uploads/macassar-ebony-sealed.jpg

i think your ink looks very close to it.

this is macassar ebony wood:

snip

i think your ink looks very close to it.

Hi,

Many thanks for that! :thumbup:

The resemblance is striking!! Especially when one looks at the Swabs in various densities, and the Wet Tests.

As a result, I shall change the Title of this Topic to add the word 'Ebony'.

Bye,

S1

I like the wood, but the ink? Not so much. The name had me hoping for darker brown with lots of shading.

I like the wood, but the ink? Not so much. The name had me hoping for darker brown with lots of shading.

Hi,

This one seems to have the too-common trade-off of a dark tone is rather likely to generate bleed- show-through on modest paper. Or, if one goes for the FP-friendly papers such as Rhodia, the smear/dry time can become awkward.

As for shading - there is some 'variation of density', but not that I consider to be shading. Obviously a personal call. If there is not to be handsome shading, then I'd rather have a well saturated ink that can generate a dark line without bleed- show-through on modest paper.

Bye,

S1

Many thanks for an excellent review. The dark brown ink niche is getting congested. There are enough chocolate browns in the field, and Noodler's Walnut is a big favorite in this niche. I don't see a void being filled here. It seems to be a wee bit less dark than other offerings, so it isn't as likely to be mistaken for black. At this point in my life, I need more voice in an ink, and I think that your review reflects that there needs to be a bit more flavor here.

Edited by Jeffery Smith

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Many thanks for an excellent review. The dark brown ink niche is getting congested. There are enough chocolate browns in the field, and Noodler's Walnut is a big favorite in this niche. I don't see a void being filled here. It seems to be a wee bit less dark than other offerings, so it isn't as likely to be mistaken for black. At this point in my life, I need more voice in an ink, and I think that your review reflects that there needs to be a bit more flavor here.

Hi,

You're welcome!

No doubt the large number of Dark Brown inks can make it difficult for a person to choose amongst them - spoiled for choice as it were. IMHO the ink manufacturers are faced with a similar problem: What can they bring to market that will sell? And will that new ink acquire its market share from that of another Co.? Other brand-related factors of course - such as supply chain, reliability/consistency, packaging, cost, etc. etc.

DMac does not bring a fantastic performance profile to the party, though the water resistance is quite alright. The appearance is lacking the charisma of some other Dark Browns, such as the ones you mention. As you so eloquently put it, "I need more voice in an ink". So . . .

Of course it is early days yet, and there is much more to be said and shown. I always look forward to learning about the experience of others.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

My current brown inks are Noodler's #41 Brown and Montblanc Toffee Brown. So a brown ink would have to be pretty spectacular to top those. The name had me hoping for brown-black with medium brown shading, which would've been spectacular.... Diamine Macassar is a nice medium to dark brown with minimal shading. But compared to the competition? Meh. Not bad. But it doesn't top my current favourites.

Edited by raging.dragon

My current brown inks are Noodler's #41 Brown and Montblanc Toffee Brown. So a brown ink would have to be pretty spectacular to top those. The name had me hoping for brown-black with medium brown shading, which would've been spectacular.... Diamine Macassar is a nice medium to dark brown with minimal shading. But compared to the competition? Meh. Not bad. But it doesn't top my current favourites.

hmmmm, noodlers 41 strikes me as a minimal shading ink. am i wrong?

hmmmm, noodlers 41 strikes me as a minimal shading ink. am i wrong?

You are correct. With #41 Brown I find the shading varies between little and none.

I've had the chance to use this brown since last Thursday and I'm very impressed. It's a beautiful brown, medium to dark with s little shading and no red undertones, which I find very attractive. Great flow, washes away very easily from the pen, dries up quickly. My gratitude to Diamine for making this ink.

✃ snip ✁

The name had me hoping for brown-black with medium brown shading, which would've been spectacular....

✃ snip ✁

Hi,

I very much agree that "medium brown shading would be spectacular".

I mentioned that DMac on the G Lalo with its hard non-absorbent surface and 'natural' base-tint hints at potential for something a bit more interesting. As the ink is not highly saturated with dye-stuff it is a bit translucent - the base-tint of the paper comes through. If paired with a dry writer on a dry 'Buff' tinted paper, perhaps DMac can be induced to generate a 'sketchy' line, on the cusp of failing, that might give the impression of shading. The tint of the paper could infer shading, without actually generating shading. (I saw a similar effect from the Pelikan 4001 Brown on G Lalo. LINK)

I don't think we'll see a 'Grand Canyon' clone any time soon.

:hmm1:

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

I've had the chance to use this brown since last Thursday and I'm very impressed. It's a beautiful brown, medium to dark with s little shading and no red undertones, which I find very attractive. Great flow, washes away very easily from the pen, dries up quickly. My gratitude to Diamine for making this ink.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know of your experience - especially important for newly released inks. :thumbup:

I'm glad you are getting quick dry times.

Bye,

S1

I fell in love with my sample of Macassar and ordered a full bottle. For me, it's a bit more obviously brown than Diamine Chocolate Brown, and I like the slight shading I get in a broad nib.

Hi,

So glad you like this ink so much! :happyberet:

Could you please tell us the pen+paper combo that is generating some shading?

Bye,

S1

I fell in love with my sample of Macassar and ordered a full bottle. For me, it's a bit more obviously brown than Diamine Chocolate Brown, and I like the slight shading I get in a broad nib.

Hi,

So glad you like this ink so much! :happyberet:

Could you please tell us the pen+paper combo that is generating some shading?

Bye,

S1

I'm getting some slight shading with a Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with a 14k Medium, very wet nib and with a Montblanc 22 with 14k Broad/Stub nib, also very wet, on Staples Bagasse and a Rhodia Webbie. It's not as dramatic a shading as Apache Sunset by any means, but it is there and makes the ink look more brown than black. A glass dip pen gave no shading at all, nor did a MB 22 with 14k Fine nib.

It's definitely the PINK SAFARI, with the BROAD nib, that delivers dark...dark...dark...dark brown. I do like the protein choices you are making with the grocery list. :) Tell me what method you use to tenderize the stewing beef?

✃ snip ✁

I'm getting some slight shading with a Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with a 14k Medium, very wet nib and with a Montblanc 22 with 14k Broad/Stub nib, also very wet, on Staples Bagasse and a Rhodia Webbie. It's not as dramatic a shading as Apache Sunset by any means, but it is there and makes the ink look more brown than black. A glass dip pen gave no shading at all, nor did a MB 22 with 14k Fine nib.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know!

I think I may try it next from a Binderised M200-series 1.0 stub: it is set to their 'shop standard' wetness of six of ten. Perhaps a more narrow wet stub-ish nib as well . . .

Bye,

S1

✃ snip ✁ :) Tell me what method you use to tenderize the stewing beef?

Hi,

I still use a marinade with papaya before braising the meat a handful at a time in a smouldering wok.

Bye

S1

Edited by Sandy1