Swan Visofil Mk1 V211/60

Malcy

Swan Visofil pens are fairly uncommon, especially the MK1 version and I have been looking for one for a while. I knew that this pen had some issues when I bought it, namely a broken clip and the filler mechanism needed servicing but I was happy to take on the task of doing what I could to bring it back to a usable condition.

DSC02490.jpg

The Visofil was released in 1934/5 as an alternative to the lever and twist fill mechanisms also sold by Mabie Todd & Co. This is the mk1 version and is a neat but plainly styled pen with some relief in the art deco pierced cap band. It has slight streamlining at either end but is clearly an evolution of the flat top style, The cap and barrel end cap appear to be made from celluloid, the section from BHR and the barrel from black lacquered brass.The cap has a BHR end piece that holds the clip on, or would if it was not broken. The pen as it came to me had a couple of jagged shards of metal pointing out from the cap. There didn't seem an easy way to remove the BHR end piece and as I did not have a replacement clip, I ground the jagged parts of the clip down so that they were smooth. This means that the clip can be replaced at a later stage as I would surely have damaged the end cap trying to get it off. The pen is similar in size to a Pelikan M400 to give you an idea, slightly longer capped, slightly shorter without the cap and it is an easy to use weight.

DSC02491.jpg

This pen is the standard size and comes with a Swan 14K gold nib. As you would expect from Swan it is lovely and smooth and writes with a fine line. My experience of Swans has been that they are frequently flexible but that some are firm. This nib is generally firm but can be made to flex to BB with pressure applied. Flow is good and seems to keep up with any writing.

DSC02492.jpg

Now to the heart of the pen, the filling system. The pen is filled by unscrewing the barrel end cap revealing a clear plastic button, putting the section into the ink and repeatedly pumping the clear button. It takes about fifteen pumps to fill the pen but the process is extremely easy. The pen is called a visofil because the ink level can be seen through the clear button. This filler mechanism holds a lot of ink, about 1.7ml (the MK2 holds even more) which should mean that the pen will write for a long time with the fine nib fitted.

DSC02493.jpg

Servicing this pen and restoring the filler mechanism to working condition proved to be remarkably easy, not much more to do than repairing a lever filler. Please note that the Visofil MK2 is rather more complicated and should probably be serviced by an experienced pen restorer. I got all the information that I needed from Dr Laurence Oldfields Pen Practice site. If you visit it you will see that the mechanism consists of a rubber tube connected at one end to the section and the clear button at the other end, A spring sited between the two separates them and provides tension to the mechanism. Repair was simply a matter of replacing the age hardened rubber tube.

It's difficult to put a value on this pen as they are not exactly common, so I don't know if I paid too much or a reasonable price. It is undoubtedly a nice writer, a comfortable pen that could be used all day long and it has a huge ink capacity. However there is a problem - I don't like fine nibs. The images make it look like it has a medium/broad nib but the nib profile actually makes it a fine writer. So you win some, you lose some. It has been a good experience to get it back to working order but I will probably sell it on to someone who likes fine nibs. :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malcy

• watch_art

• The Royal Pen

• Uncle Red

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE button-fillers.

I agree with watch_art. You should try and turn that beauty, into a wet BB!

trpofapprobal.png

I looked at that and I know that I would just mess it up. The profile of the nib is strange too. On top it looks like a broad but underneath the nib narrows down to a fine. I think that it would be all too easy to take off too much tipping material in this case. It's difficult to describe so here are some photos.

Above

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/DSC02496.jpg

Below

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/DSC02495.jpg

• 1 month later...

Swan Visofil restoration update

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/Pens/visofiltext.jpg

:thumbup: