Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

Since I've switched to exclusively using ESSRI, I'm doing about one fill of my pen per week. I was thinking, "Man this is going fast..." but these LJ's don't hold much. Just looked at my bottle of ink and after a month or more of using no inks except this one the ink level has barely dropped just a hair below the shoulder of the bottle! LOL These two bottles are going to last me FOREVER it seems!

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been fascinated by this ink as a result of this thread, and have ordered a bottle, as well as a glass bottle to which to transfer it. I'm not sure what I'll ever do with 110mL, though - that's a lot of ink for somebody like me, and I already have more ink than I know what to do with...

I have been fascinated by this ink as a result of this thread, and have ordered a bottle, as well as a glass bottle to which to transfer it. I'm not sure what I'll ever do with 110mL, though - that's a lot of ink for somebody like me, and I already have more ink than I know what to do with...

You can always giveaway samples to other members in 'Pay It Forward' :thumbup:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

It would be nice if it were the exact same ink as Diamine, but I have to say that my order of ESSR was fast and uneventful, and the shipping was on a par with what I would expect from local shipping. I think it's a wash.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I saw a picture of Diamine's Registrar's Ink, which comes in a 110mL bottle, and it's the same bottle as ESSRI. I know it has been said that people who own both don't think it's the same ink, but is it made by the same company?

Hi,

I've only seen the Diamine Registrars Ink in the 30ml glass bottle, as shown on the Diamine site:

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/detail.aspx?prodcode=0104

Elsewhere the manufacturer of ESSRI was identified as Trodat UK.

I assume that Diamine makes their own ink, but I cannot confirm the truth of the matter. Perhaps you might enquire of Diamine in that regard.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Since I've switched to exclusively using ESSRI, I'm doing about one fill of my pen per week. I was thinking, "Man this is going fast..." but these LJ's don't hold much. Just looked at my bottle of ink and after a month or more of using no inks except this one the ink level has barely dropped just a hair below the shoulder of the bottle! LOL These two bottles are going to last me FOREVER it seems!

Hi,

I'm glad that you're satisfied with ESSRI to the point that it is your sole daily writer ink. :thumbup:

You might consider switching to a 9284. :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1

Here's the link showing the 110 bottle, which appears the same... http://www.refillmon...?sty_codigo=52.

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing the link! :thumbup:

I'd not been aware DRI came in anything but the 30ml size.

That Vendor also has the 2008 LE Noodler's Whiteness of the Whale (Pequod).

http://www.refillmonster.com/sistema/shop/product_detail.php?pro_codigo=262

Bye,

S1

Here's the link showing the 110 bottle, which appears the same... http://www.refillmonster.com/sistema/shop/style.php?sty_codigo=52.

The bottle looks very much like my ESSRI, however, the Diamine label says 100 ml. Reading reviews of the Diamine RI, it sounds like a very different experience from the Ecclesiastical iron gall ink. So what's the real story? Why the odd similarity of the ink bottles? Coincidence? Perhaps the labels were printed by the same company? Who knows. No one's talking. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Edited by januaryman

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

It's probably just a standard bottle design available from one or more manufacturers in the UK market.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Hi,

Some Members were not so pleased that the beautiful medium Blue-Black of freshly written ESSRI shifted to a very dark Blue-Black as the ink oxidised and reacted with constituents of the paper over time. Consequently, there arose a perceived need (aka curiosity) to determine if a greater Blue aspect could be generated from a mix, rather than [endlessly] seeking a pen+paper pairing that would reliably give the desired result. i.e. "Put the Blue back in Blue-Black".

Those results can be seen in the Inky Thoughts Forum, in the pinned Topic for mixed & homemade ink, as Post № 414.

http://www.fountainp...ost__p__2219295

Bye,

S1

P.S. Don't tell the nice people at ESS or Trodat!

Edited by Sandy1

So warnings about mixing IG and dye based inks are baseless? That would be interesting. Thanks again for the additional information, Sandy1. :notworthy1: Because of you and your wonderful review, I ordered my 2nd bottle of ESSRI. But ALL your reviews are priceless. If only I could see those images from my work PC... that image site is blocked by our servers. I always bookmark your stuff and look at it when I get home.

Hi,

Some Members were not so pleased that the beautiful medium Blue-Black of freshly written ESSRI shifted to a very dark Blue-Black as the ink oxidised and reacted with constituents of the paper over time. Consequently, there arose a perceived need (aka curiosity) to determine if a greater Blue aspect could be generated from a mix, rather than [endlessly] seeking a pen+paper pairing that would reliably give the desired result. i.e. "Put the Blue back in Blue-Black".

Those results can be seen in the Inky Thoughts Forum, in the pinned Topic for mixed & homemade ink, as Post № 414.

Bye,

S1

Thank you Sandy, :thumbup: in I'm one of the 'where's the beef Blue'.

I'd not been to that mix your own ink section, in there were so many regular colors; I didn't think anything could come of it, with me fiddling with inks; especially as noobie with few inks.

Now, I got to buy three inks, which luckily are easy for me to get my hands on in Germany and Rhoda paper. :rolleyes:

Waterman blue black had been an ink that ended up in 'Cobweb Corner', until this thread pulled it out.

Any idea if I can substitute Lamy Turquoise for Pelikan Turquoise?

Luckily I have Topaz.

What about Herbin Bleu Pervenche for Bleu Azure.

Looks like my first ink mix is waiting.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

So warnings about mixing IG and dye based inks are baseless? That would be interesting. Thanks again for the additional information, Sandy1. :notworthy1: Because of you and your wonderful review, I ordered my 2nd bottle of ESSRI. But ALL your reviews are priceless. If only I could see those images from my work PC... that image site is blocked by our servers. I always bookmark your stuff and look at it when I get home.

Hi,

You're welcome!

As mentioned, "I do not suggest that the following sample mixes are 'guaranteed' or 'safe' in any way whatsoever."

At no time during the mixing was an event horizon imminent, nor was it necessary to deploy the stand-by physics package to keep things from going pear-shaped.

It is very much up to each person to run their own samples to match the pen+paper combo they have in mind.

I think that by mixing ESSRI into the water before adding other ink made a significant difference in 'safety' of the resultant mix, and gives more potential for mixes.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Thank you Sandy, :thumbup: in I'm one of the 'where's the beef Blue'.

I'd not been to that mix your own ink section, in there were so many regular colors; I didn't think anything could come of it, with me fiddling with inks; especially as noobie with few inks.

Now, I got to buy three inks, which luckily are easy for me to get my hands on in Germany and Rhoda paper. :rolleyes:

Waterman blue black had been an ink that ended up in 'Cobweb Corner', until this thread pulled it out.

Any idea if I can substitute Lamy Turquoise for Pelikan Turquoise?

Luckily I have Topaz.

What about Herbin Bleu Pervenche for Bleu Azure.

Looks like my first ink mix is waiting.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I used to mix inks quite a bit, but quite often found there was something very close to what I had in mind available in a bottle. Yet I do mix colours that I use only rarely - such as Red.

A problem with mixing is that one can never be quite sure if the mix is safe or stable until mixing is done. Consequently, I would not suggest purchasing a lot of new inks just for trial mixes. Rather use what is in your array, and perhaps add to that array some ink that you were likely to purchase in any event. (Especially true for pricey inks.)

Let mixes sit for at least thirty minutes before loading into an expendable pen. (Some suggest waiting overnight.) I use clear glass mixing containers, so sediment, precipitate, slime, etc. can be seen. All must be clean. I suggest using a c/c pen for ease & speed of cleaning.

So . . .

Using Waterman BlBk will not add much Blue. The result may be more like that seen from the Verdigris mix.

I am quite certain that chances of success with Lamy Turquoise are the same as Pelikan Turkis.

Herbin forbids mixing of their inks, so an extra bit of caution with those. But as you have Bleu Pervenche, do try it - just add more water to the mix. (Please see the Dilution Samples: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/211406-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink-dulution/ )

Remember - this can be a phenomenal time waster! And success is not guaranteed!!

Bye,

S1

"""this can be a phenomenal time waster!""" :thumbup:

Any thing to not write on my book. :rolleyes:

"""Just this once....(famous last words.)""""

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

My bottle just arrived yesterday. Decanted it into a 110mL Private Reserve glass bottle (which I bought empty from Goulets just for this purpose, as I am not a huge fan of PR). I'm glad I did, as the plastic bottle it came in seemed quite flimsy and had been dented in transit.

Let me say, though... I am loving this ink. The shading is incredible (although it's a bit more pronounced than I wanted, and seems to be a little unpredictable, it's still very interesting to look at), and I love watching the colour change on the page as it dries. I'm going to have to try this out in a vintage superflex soon; so far I've just used it in a Safari. I can readily imagine this becoming one of my everyday inks. I wonder how long 110mL will last me - I have yet to finish a bottle of any ink, and most of my others are in much smaller quantities.

Sandy1 (and others), thanks for bringing this ink to my attention. I'd never have heard of it if not for this thread.

My bottle just arrived yesterday. Decanted it into a 110mL Private Reserve glass bottle (which I bought empty from Goulets just for this purpose, as I am not a huge fan of PR). I'm glad I did, as the plastic bottle it came in seemed quite flimsy and had been dented in transit.

Let me say, though... I am loving this ink. The shading is incredible (although it's a bit more pronounced than I wanted, and seems to be a little unpredictable, it's still very interesting to look at), and I love watching the colour change on the page as it dries. I'm going to have to try this out in a vintage superflex soon; so far I've just used it in a Safari. I can readily imagine this becoming one of my everyday inks. I wonder how long 110mL will last me - I have yet to finish a bottle of any ink, and most of my others are in much smaller quantities.

Sandy1 (and others), thanks for bringing this ink to my attention. I'd never have heard of it if not for this thread.

Hi,

You're welcome!

As I mentioned, this thread continues to gain far more value than the Review itself, thanks to the great contributions of so many members! :thumbup:

I hope that you will tell us of your experience - letting us know of any findings, concerns or tips that you are willing to share.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

UPDATE-

Used ESSRI in my Staples ARC junior notebook and the standard ARC paper. Behaved itself, no bleed-through, very slight show-through; but unfortunately, it turned very black-blue immediately, with no evidence of shading at all. Used my Pelikan 140 medium-broad nib ground to a CI. I might try using a finer nib pen and ESSRI on this paper, but maybe it's not for me. If you don't care about shading, you're good to go.

I'll give a little update too.

I tried ESSRI in my vintage flex Waterman yesterday. So far, I think this is my favourite ink to use in that pen. It lays tons of it down on the paper, but I still get absolutely no bleedthrough and very little show-through even on ordinary printer/copy paper or cheap notebook paper. The colour gets really dark, though - it's almost completely black, and greyish in the regions written unflexed; none of the blue remains visible at all. I'm okay with this, although as the previous poster mentioned, there's not a whole lot of shading (I got lots more shading from the fine nib Safari: I think a drier pen is needed to see it).

One thing I will note, though: it didn't do so well for writing unflexed with that pen. I think the flow is a bit too dry to get an XF line without occasionally flexing the pen to keep the ink flow going. This wasn't the case when I used e.g. Waterman ink in that pen.

Edit: A slight tangent, but I do feel a bit weird using this ink as an avowed atheist.

Edited by mcbender